WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:51 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 563 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36
 Post subject: Re: Dunkirk 1940 kit
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 17:52 pm 

If memory serves the LOC that changed the WWI water bottle from MKVI to MKVII (believe that is corrrect) was prior to WWII. I suspect blue WBs would have continued in service an would have been used by units of the BEF. Blue enamel bottles also continued in manaufacture in both Mks in commonwealth countries. Can't remember when the wool cover was introduced but suspect many BEF wouldd have felt covers (Canadian ones are relatively easy to find and provide a good stand in - better than most repros or mothed WWI examples!)

I think the front fastening water bottle cover has largely been discredited in this and other forums. Generally it is pointed out that the picture on the rear of Brayley's webbing book is 'modern' rather than contemporary. That said Canadian pattern 1937 WBCs were front fasting. The Canadians formed part of the BEF.
Your 1935 WBC is almost certainly a Royal Navy P19 WBC rather than P37. If you want to swop it for a 1940 top fastening P37 WBC I'd be happy to give it a new home ;-)

I know what you mean about the Linnemen E-tool. Always seems to be missing in photos and films from the time! General consensus is that it was unpopular and ditched as soon as possible. However, I suspect the fairly late intro (after the P37 introduced) probably meant many BEF units were not supplied with it. It did remain in service with units until at least 1942. The P08 style sirhind tool was only re-introduced from 1941. See the Karkeeweb website for all the detail you need. Likewise put "water bottle" in to the karkeeweb search for details on WB changes. I assume the change to MkVII in 1939 saw the change to green enamel (RAF stayed blue albeit in 'drab' covers for the duration of WWII).

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:32 am 

with the help of this guide and the one for the Dunkirk march(which is why I put this together)but sadly was cancelled.

a royal(city of London)fusilier of the BEF.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 18:30 pm 

Looking good!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 563 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36