WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:48 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 692 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:42 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: A.F.R.A
LeMaitre wrote:
wulfrik-93 wrote:
unless you want to look at the 1918 date

The 1918 is unlikely to be a date? The pattern of the haversack was much different in 1918 to what you have?
Much more valuable too?

I know that, I have an example of the 1908 pattern haversack as well. but never the less there is a 1918 'stamp' in the 1937 pattern one, it probably related to the company however, as in established 1918 or perhaps not a date but a code. (I have a pair of ruberised dispatch rider trousers that are 1943 stamped but the label has the company name then (1927) which related to the companies founding I believe.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:45 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: A.F.R.A
Chomley-Warner wrote:
wulfrik-93 wrote:
thanks for that! so perhaps worth re-blancoing if it's definitely a post war practice.

Post-war in the instance I quoted (mainly to point out it wasn't just battle-hardened soldiers that used webbing!) but the Buffs have always had buff coloured leatherwork rather than pipe-clayed and that continued to webbing through the 20th century. Even so, I presume the Buffs dispensed with the tradition when on active service in WWII and did what everyone else did and kept the tradition for home barracks and ceremonies. If your portrayal is the Buffs then you would need more research on what was worn where.

thank you for that, my impression is not the Buffs, but one impression I do reenact has 'creamy yellow' webbing, so perhaps worth keeping as is for the moment

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:40 pm 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
wulfrik-93 wrote:
LeMaitre wrote:
wulfrik-93 wrote:
unless you want to look at the 1918 date

The 1918 is unlikely to be a date?

I know that

I'm confused, if you know its not a date why suggest it is a date?

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:01 am 

Group: BEF Society, Spirit of Britain
I'm interested to know what repro blanco people are using at the moment either shade 103 or shade 97. A number of years ago SOF did a reasonable shade 103 but some of the new lads in the group have tried it and it's completely wrong! I'm also aware of the shoe cream method but would like to know if there is anythingelse decent on the market?

Many thanks,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 692 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44