WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 14:14 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:24 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: The Royal Warwicks - KP1
interesting, i guess i need to have a 3rd go at it, recommended products to use people that isnt going to bankrupt me

2nd Bton Royal Warwickshire Rgt
185th Brigade
3rd British Infantry Div

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:26 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
Visit ASDA?

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 14:36 pm 
4000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

the one listing tins isnt brit ww2, closest to brit issue in 1948.for the normandy landing troops were issued 2x24 hr rats and a tin of corned beef.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 16:25 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FSSF-UK
snowyx2622 wrote:
the one listing tins isnt brit ww2, closest to brit issue in 1948.for the normandy landing troops were issued 2x24 hr rats and a tin of corned beef.

Wot about the other D-Days?

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 16:42 pm 
4000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

mmmmmm proderly the same for husky. pre to that more than likly the good old faithfuls till the 14 mans arrived.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 18:44 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

snowyx2622 wrote:
mmmmmm proderly the same for husky. pre to that more than likly the good old faithfuls till the 14 mans arrived.

A Scotsman who says "proberly", yoooor havin a larrrf ...aye, ok, ye said proderly But I know wi ye meant... :lol:

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 20:00 pm 
3000+ Poster

rmcommando wrote:
The tinned meat in a 24 hour was not British in origin. It was Canadian if I am not mistaken.

The other 2 photos, I have of 24 hour British rations are like the 1st in TallerthanBetty's post. I think this is what most looked like.

Martin

Martin, is that a Canadian production '24 hour ration' or the 'Canadian Army mess tin ration'? I've never been much up on who produced what, my mind tends to wander a bit when it comes to detail.

Snowy, which 'one listing tins' do you mean as not being W.W.2? As I'm loosing track a bit of who's talking to who on here. I have reference from 2 Bn. 'South Wales Borderers', 56th Independent Brigade War Diary of what you say about troops taking part in the initial phase of 'Overlord' being issued 2 x 24 hour ration packs, in their case one of which was to be issued in their camp the other was to be issued at their port of embarkation before getting on their boats. Each man in the Battalion was also to be issued 1 folding stove with solid fuel tablets, 1 Emergency ration, 1 Water Sterilising outfit and an unspecified number of 'Bags, Vomit'. It doesn't mention Corned Beef so whether their particular case they didn't get it I don't know. Some reference for Seaborne troops during 'Overlord' mentions issue of a tin of self heating soup per man to be consumed on the journey, possibly it depended on what type of craft they were on and the galley facilities available? 56th Infantry Brigade were a follow-up unit attached to 50th Div. with it's manpower going over on LCI/L's crewed by either Royal Canadian Navy or U.S. Navy and first line transport on L.S.T.'s. One account published just post-war mentions that a very good breakfast was made available on the LCI/L's carrying the Battalion, though few men took up the offer due to sea sickness.

Korean War reenactment forum: http://www.theforgottenwar.proboards61.com/index.cgi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 20:15 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: The Royal Warwicks - KP1
Oggy wrote:
Visit ASDA?

Yup did that and the other supermarkets inc lidl and didn't find anything suitable...it might end up being an empty packet at the moment

2nd Bton Royal Warwickshire Rgt
185th Brigade
3rd British Infantry Div

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:53 am 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
Collins wrote:
Oggy wrote:
Visit ASDA?

Yup did that and the other supermarkets inc lidl and didn't find anything suitable...it might end up being an empty packet at the moment

Fair dos Mucka

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:13 am 

The mess tin ration has a smaller can in it. The 24 hour ration that I have a photo of, comes with a round can like the repro guys like to copy. The British ones have that meat block.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/rp ... 578sl2.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:21 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Regarding Canadian, is this it (on the right hand side of K Ration)?

Asda/Lidls/Sainsburys...

I'll just pop petrol/diesel in vehicle (obvioulsy spending £-thousands first buying, then taxing, MOT-ing, insuring, vehicle), or take rucksack (in my case), go to supermarket (as listed), trudge thru isles, locate, procure, walk/drive to next store, locate, procure, go home, locate, procure ink for laser and inkjet printers (yep, I have to use both), locate and procure appropriate paper and cardstock (one such is wholesale in my case), print out, ohh, meant to add:
first, locate, and procure researched documents (writing to the US Army in my case, taking months and years of research), bedside read, bore oneself to almost death, then aftger ye get yer head around it all....

Design, print out, doesn't fit, design and print out again, repeat several times, taking all fkn day in some cases, then (ohh, hang on a sec, meant to say, buy loads of cheap paper to experiment on with designed products first), buy another inkjet, and/or laserjet* cartridge... and...
Aye, anyway, print out, cut, fold, and glue together, obviously buying glue, scissors and stanley knife, cutting board, metal ruler (as plastic ones keep getting sliced), locate spare room/workshop first though... Find it doesn't really fit, or doesn't fit another type of ration, then start whole fkn process again....

After spending a few good hundred, if not thousands of £s (remember van, inkjet and lazerjet, spare room/workshop rent, paper, tools, asda/lidl/sainsbury/iceland/stationary shop etc etc etc ............ Then....

Get website up and running, one with a commercial buy it now cart, costing around £100, and that's designing and creating yerself....

Right, now, where was I.... Anyone mention... Wot was it, "just pop down to Asda and re-label"?

Ohh, yeah, after all that fkn tarting about (see above), just give away to folks who moan "wot, I can just pop down to Asda", and "how much for a days food**!!!" etc ad nauseum....

Sorry, am I boring ye?

* inkjet colour cartridges £15 x five.... Laserjet £30....

** Burger vans anyone?

Last edited by SaddleTramp on Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:22 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

rmcommando wrote:
The mess tin ration has a smaller can in it. The 24 hour ration that I have a photo of, comes with a round can like the repro guys like to copy. The British ones have that meat block.

Nice, very nice, what is that white packet?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:37 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Regarding "Ive copied from an original", I have this to to say:

As with WWII uniforms, there where many, many, many manufacturers, all with subsidiary contractors who put in bids, located, procured, and produced the ration items we scurry about looking for 70 odd years later, get the precious item and go "I got an original, it's how it was", well, not necessarily so, as I've found out procuring several (original) examples of the same ration (and even the original specifications in the US Army QMC for example lists tolerances for measurements and materials, for one example)...

Just thought i'd pour that in for the crowd 8) :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:08 pm 
4000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

ref to the 2x 24 hr rats and tin of corned dog was via 51stHD sources.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:15 pm 

The mess tin on the left looks like Bully beef, drippings and maybe cheese. Similiar to the Airborne manual. I have no clue on the right. How interesting.

On of the 6th ABN Amoured Recce accounts makes mention of a 48 hr ration. I am wondering if they got 2 also. Other accounts, from seaborne units that I have read, make mention of getting one.

Over on Para data, there is mention of Parachute soldiers getting 2 and others getting one.

Martin

Last edited by rmcommando on Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:16 pm 

SaddleTramp wrote:
rmcommando wrote:

Nice, very nice, what is that white packet?

I assumed that those were some type of biscuits. This photo used to be on the Canadiansoldiers website, if I remember correctly.

Martin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next