WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:22 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 0:44 am 
3000+ Poster

Group: The Royal Warwicks - KP1
here is my latest attempt, feedback welcome

what is on the label describes what is in the package with the exeption of the tin, only suitable tin i could find was mini tuna tin

RE chewing gum, how does one package the pellets? I can see the end result but dont know what material to use or how to pack it in said material

2nd Bton Royal Warwickshire Rgt
185th Brigade
3rd British Infantry Div

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:37 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: V.E.R.A+the 29th field kitchen. 16 PFA, 23 PFA
looks very good to me ( i tried the same thing a few years back even then i had to use a Prince's rolled ham tin but i cant get that anymore ? )

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 15:16 pm 
4000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

heres the ones im working on-bottom right is the MPP box and after a few years abuse its still holding up well.
and heres a reveiwed contents-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 20:22 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FSSF-UK
Any ideas?

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 20:58 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FHF / 150th Engineer Combat Battalion, XIIth Corps
They look like the 70s / 80s compo tins while we were still using imperial measurements only (I have kept a number of these). Am not sure when this style was introduced - but am certain someone out there will!

Ashley

www.reenactor.se (Essex Regt.)
http://combatengineers.forumup.org (150th Engineer Combat Battalion)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 21:13 pm 
4000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

they are the sort i was eating as a kid in the 70s-all dated 1945. point of intrest-the cheese possesed will last longer than the tin(it will rust away but the cheese will be uneffected lol)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 21:29 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

snowyx2622 wrote:
they are the sort i was eating as a kid in the 70s-all dated 1945. point of intrest-the cheese possesed will last longer than the tin(it will rust away but the cheese will be uneffected lol)

The cheese tin has swelled, I'm not daring to open it, though I have no sense of smell (my misspent youth I'm afraid), it might permeate onto my skin...lol

These are actually in a box marked as "1970" but, I done a search, and what looks like the same tins are photographed on a site http://www.mreinfo.com/international/gr ... packs.html

I have a copy of a Wartime Compo instruction list, and looks like these tins may have been used in the same form, if so, I think this ration is a go-er, big time....

Watch this space folks :D :wink:

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 22:18 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: The Royal Warwicks - KP1
I'd be interested to see your product when its finished

2nd Bton Royal Warwickshire Rgt
185th Brigade
3rd British Infantry Div

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 23:45 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Ooohhh... Dehydrated meat, "beef jerky" and "Biltong".... The only problem, real problem, I see in an "orfentic" Compo, is the tinned margarine listed, the rest, is do-able....

what I would like to see, or know, is actual dimensions, if the tins I have illustrated are indeed the same as WWII which where used all the way up to the 1970s, then I indeed have them, and it could be a go-er...

As a side note, "sausage and pudding cut into 1/2-inch slices, may be fried (using margarine) if preferred".... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 0:18 am 
3000+ Poster

Less is more with the 24 hour ration, what packing there was tended to be very basic as it was only intended for short term use until better food became available. Some pics. off t-internet (if the copyright owner see's this and wants them pulled then please let me know), note the biscuits, now don't they look tasty?

As said much earlier in this thread, I for one have never come across the 'meat' component of the 24 hour ration being tinned or described as anything more specific than 'meat', in dehydrated form. Veterans accounts often mention that whatever it was turned into a fairly anonymous looking brown mass when re-constituted, or was sometime eaten by shaving bits off and eating with a mouthful of water. If planning to make something up for actual use then I suppose tinned meat is one of the practial alternatives. It is important to remember that it was only ever intended as a lightweight basic ration to be used up to a maximum of a few days until other rations became available, it's not the same as the modern 24 hour, boil in the bag G.P. ration packs which owes more to the 14 men Composite ration. The impression you get from those that used the 24 hour ration was that it was at best one step up from starvation.

The 14 men 'Composite' ration on the other hand came in a variety of menu's and was provided boxed as a unit for ease of issue. The Compo. ration, though regarded as better than previous rations, was not intended for long term feeding of troops as it did not provide the level of vitamins etc. required to sustain men in field conditions for extended periods but in practice it became a staple of most front line units. Some also pointed out that the division of the ration amongst 14 was awkward, more-so when very few units actually numbered 14 men or multiples there-of so they'd end up with either too much or too little for each to have their equal share. Post-war the idea was refined, quantity of men fed by a single ration pack changed to actually fit reality and the influence of U.S. rations can be seen with some of the bulk packed items of the 14 man Compo., such as biscuits, re-packed in single serving cans.

Korean War reenactment forum: http://www.theforgottenwar.proboards61.com/index.cgi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 0:39 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

TALLERTHANBETTY wrote:
Less is more with the 24 hour ration, what packing there was tended to be very basic as it was only intended for short term use until better food became available. Some pics. off t-internet (if the copyright owner see's this and wants them pulled then please let me know), note the biscuits, now don't they look tasty?

I've just wet myself...

Yer commentary, agree wi loads of it, especially the ref to US rations, though, it has to be said, the US Army 5in1* was based on US Army experiences wi Brit Compo in North Africa, or rather a "composite ration" for troops in vehicles etc ...

The development of a one man ration, from my current research, has to agree wi ye regarding US research and development....

Thanks for posting them photos...

* which developed into the 10in1...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:17 am 

The tinned meat in a 24 hour was not British in origin. It was Canadian if I am not mistaken.

The other 2 photos, I have of 24 hour British rations are like the 1st in TallerthanBetty's post. I think this is what most looked like.

Martin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:39 am 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
The Biscuits are close to Hard Tack (we cleared a shedfull of them dated 45 when we took over from the Blues & Royals in Detmold in 85) - they were issued in lieu of bread IIRC.
As for the meat - Plumrose Bacon Grill would be a good start, Corned Dog hasn't changed the tin shape in over a Century.

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:52 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

TALLERTHANBETTY wrote:

Looking at that photo, one can easily imagine there'd be dried/dehydrated/biltong/jerky in that meat packet... In one US Army ration (which I"m currently developing) there was a tin of "dehydrated beef", and from research they conducted, they knew that the likes of bully beef/corned beef was crap in the desert in '41/'42, so they mucked about wi dehydrated stuff...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:41 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FHF / 150th Engineer Combat Battalion, XIIth Corps
mmmmm, bacon grill. The best tin in the old british army rations, closely followed by fruit pudding.

A

www.reenactor.se (Essex Regt.)
http://combatengineers.forumup.org (150th Engineer Combat Battalion)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:51 am 
2000+ Poster

Group: 16 Parachute Field Ambulance
The beef jerky you can commonly buy now should be easy enough to repackage. Though to get the correct weight will be a tad expensive!

Danny

Remembering the 36th Regiment of Foot, Herefordshire Militia, Herefordshire Rifle Volunteer Corps, Herefordshire Regiment, Hereford Light Infantry, Light Infantry and the Rifles.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next