WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Jan 24, 2020 0:19 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: reward
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 21:46 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: proud member of the World War 2 Group
What you meen Jon by a reward, is she going to buy you a bit of new kit for doing the painting.

:madhappy:

Mark

Private: Mark Farnworth, 2nd Batt South Staffordshire Reg.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 21:57 pm 
2000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

she already has Mark ;)

Once more onto the internet I go looking to use women and break up families. Thats what makes me a good actor and with my track record of past mistakes a very good reinactor of doing the same thing over and over again. I can't be a real person so I have to pretend to be someone else. Thank goodness for the internet without it I would be alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 22:47 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
Going back - Izal Paper is freely available from Asda (2 rolls in stock :cry: ) Would appreciate those instructions Jon....

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 23:00 pm 
2000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

them 2 rolls can stay there lol pm me again Ian and i,ll send you the full ration pack instructions and files ;)

Once more onto the internet I go looking to use women and break up families. Thats what makes me a good actor and with my track record of past mistakes a very good reinactor of doing the same thing over and over again. I can't be a real person so I have to pretend to be someone else. Thank goodness for the internet without it I would be alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 0:31 am 
Supporter

TALLERTHANBETTY wrote:
From what I've seen the meat componant was card or paper wrapped and not tinned. I also think it might have been dehydrated some how as I remember reading one account of a veteran who said he ate his evening meal on D-Day by cutting shavings off it then drinking it along with water which caused it to swell, so could be dangerous if too much was eaten then large amounts of water were drunk. I also recall a similar thing with the Oatmeal block, one chap had been eating them on the way over, a piece got stuck in his throat and swelled because of moisture and it choked him, what a frigging s***e way to die, killed by dehydrated porridge :? . I suppose the meat would have been like some sort of jerky. Have been thinking how to do the Tea and Oatmeal blocks, imagine quite a lot of pressure would be needed to form them. Does he ghive the dimmensions for the contents or just the box itself?

Regarding the meat stuff.
There was 7 different meal. Some of them can in round tin and some on rectangulare one and some were dehydrated. It totaly depends on the "meal". I made that package according to photos of original and articles that I read about it. It might not be 100% accurate but for me it's good enough :)
Jon, sned me some picture when you are done :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 0:38 am 
Supporter

Also, for the TP, What I did in this pack is I got some hand towel from Wendie's (not sure if there is some Wendie's in the UK) bathroom. Some school here also have the same hand towel. The brown hand towel they used is still the same. The inside is rough and preaty close to the original. I went in and preaty much empty the dispenser :D . Now I have enough to make an army of TP :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 0:42 am 
3000+ Poster

Do you have any details of the menu's for the packs? I was aware of the Compo. Ration coming in various menu's, but not the 24 hour ration, any more info. you could give would be much appreciated. You look like you've put a lot of effort into these, well done, as I say they look better than a lot I've seen for sale, so you giving the info for free is definately much appreciated, hope no shifty dealer takes your hard work and tries to make some quick cash off it like I've seen in the past. :cheers:

Korean War reenactment forum: http://www.theforgottenwar.proboards61.com/index.cgi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:10 am 
Supporter

Thanx a lot Tallerthanbetty,
I can only take 1/4 of the credits though :(
The only thing that is original mine is the box, the instruction card and the "how to make the ration" most of the other stuff I got from other reenactors. Some of it I had to teak a litle bit cause it was off but most of it was not made by me. I also PDF everything to make it easier. I see what I can dig up for info. I might have trash bunch of stuff by mistake :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:31 am 
2000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

thanks Jonathan again it does look good to me,i havn,t started yet as i,m still decorating ;) but i will do you pics when i,m done as i got all the card and the wax etc to start it.I might add something extra like a packet of those Rolo's though :) i like Rolo's :lol:

cheers

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 14:29 pm 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Victory in Europe Reenactment Association
I'm confused (yes....) I like what I see - and its well made and put together, but....

...its not right

What confuses me is - is it supposed to be a recreation of a 24hr ration or a reenactors ration for eating at a private event or similar?

Chris

Victory in Europe Reenactment Association
One of "Monty's Men"
http://www.vera39-45.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 16:30 pm 
4000+ Poster

RE. Glossy bog paper, top tip: take a sheet and scrunch it up in the palm of your hand, then unfold it and use it. The crumplings will give it a texture and so it wont be like trying to plat snot.

Ð

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 17:39 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
At last, a way of dealing with John Wayne Paper........

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

Post subject: ration
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 22:21 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: proud member of the World War 2 Group
why is it wrong ??

did the brits not have rations in Box?

Mark

Private: Mark Farnworth, 2nd Batt South Staffordshire Reg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 22:33 pm 
2000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

why is the 24 hr pack wrong,this site says its right although a few things could be swapped about a bit Chris,although Canadians had OD cans dont know about British

http://17thdivision.tripod.com/id26.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 22:34 pm 
2000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

in fact a lot of what they,ve packed on this site is like the ration instructions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 22:37 pm 
2000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

http://www.geocities.com/hocfutue/24hour.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next