WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 20:35 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:59 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA • CHALK • PROUD MEMBER OF GPRA • SFAM
Collins wrote:
Squeakyclean wrote:
Now then all, here's my first attempt at replicating this elusive little box of 'goodies', a prototype if you will..............

hi, can you explain how you packed the gum and what you used to pack it in please?

Bit fiddly but easy really. Bought one of those tubs of chewing gum, I think they're intended for use in the car?

Attachment:
Wrigley_Extra_Cool_Breeze_Bottle_60pce.jpg

Get hold of some Cellophane - NOT Clingfilm - I got mine from work as I'm a designer and the studio is full of good stuff! But I reckon you can get it from a supermarket?

Stack four tabs of gum on the Cellophane and then (this is the fiddly bit) wrap it up like a tine xmas present and seal it with a small piece of Sellotape.

Job done.

Matt

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://chalknumber.blogspot.com/

There's only two men that I trust; one of them is me... the other is not you.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:44 am 
3000+ Poster

Group: The Royal Warwicks - KP1
Izal
the closest thing my friends and I could describe it as is greaseproof paper in the shape of bog roll. I might end up using that as a substitute.

Gum
thats prettty much what I did except I used greaseproof paper and pva glue

2nd Bton Royal Warwickshire Rgt
185th Brigade
3rd British Infantry Div

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:59 am 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
There's always the old Govt Issue stuff...John Wayne we called it.

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 21:36 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FSSF-UK
So, wot exactly is Izal?

Seen this? http://www.reprorations.com/Compo%20Rations.htm

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 22:25 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: 39/45 society.2nd Glosters.
tinned tea/milk/sugar?
tinned bread?
tinned oatmeal/sugar/fruit?
where the bloody hell did the come from????

(brought to you by The British Federation of Fat Blokes)
XX1-The Millwall FC of Re-enactors.No one likes us-we dont care...
Girls,try a fat bloke today.They're not as bad as you think!
BEEN THERE,SEEN IT,DONE IT,GOT THE TEE SHIRT....had to take it back & exchange it for a much larger size...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 22:26 pm 
3000+ Poster

SaddleTramp wrote:
So, wot exactly is Izal?

see this listing:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Izal-toil ... 2eb423e91e

185th Brigade
3rd British Infantry Div

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 22:40 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Search in Asda, result: http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/s ... tid=253100

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 22:42 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

BIG AL PRICE wrote:
tinned tea/milk/sugar?
tinned bread?
tinned oatmeal/sugar/fruit?
where the bloody hell did the come from????

Ohh, and ye ought to see the US rations, pure fantasy....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 22:48 pm 
1000+ Poster

i'm wondering if they actually contain what they say they do,& where on earth they got them from?

BEEN THERE,SEEN IT,DONE IT,GOT THE TEE SHIRT....had to take it back & exchange it for a much larger size...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:57 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

BIG AL PRICE wrote:
i'm wondering if they actually contain what they say they do,& where on earth they got them from?

Don't think so, for instance in one ration they say it's "meat and beans"* whereas it actually contains chilli con carne... In my rations, wot is on the label, is in the can...

Now, I know one has to attend to modern tastes, and ye have to compromise regarding that, plus availability, but really, labeling an item which includes something completely different?

* think it was the "meat and beans" unit...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:19 am 
3000+ Poster

It's one thing to do that when your making them yourself but to do it and try and sell them for profit

185th Brigade
3rd British Infantry Div

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 13:41 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

I hear wot yer saying Collins, but to give them credit, they do put that disclaimer in their description, and as a business, one has to include that :)

To get back to UK rations, the 24 hr one, the PDF I have, the outer box measures 141mm length, 93mm width, and 46mm height... It does fit inside the inner British mess tin (one dated 1945), but looking at the photos here, mines look more rectangular...

Can anyone supply the right measurement, or is it a case of "different manufacturers" etc like the US Rations, for instance, some companies where known to cut back on their sizes as they under valued their original bids for procurement etc...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 15:04 pm 
4000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

intresting picture in best of brit-the stuff was handed out by naafi for normandy. adds a whole new set of qustions as it looks like there was a change in compo between 43 n 44 onwards.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 20:49 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Square oat biscuits?... Here ye go chaps, Asda 90odd pence:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:41 am 
1000+ Poster

nice 1 Paul!was having a look for stuff to use in Tesco on thursday,but not alot there to use...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:55 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

BIG AL PRICE wrote:
nice 1 Paul!was having a look for stuff to use in Tesco on thursday,but not alot there to use...

Nae worries, I always look out for stuff, it's became an obsession now... :lol: I thinik the only chocolate bars that seem to be the right form of "chunky" consistency are the Cadbury's fruit and nut, or plain, been on the look out for fruit only, and ye can get about three ration type bars worth as one has to cut it up.. :wink: :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next