WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:50 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 18:38 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FSSF-UK
Collins wrote:
Just an update on the ones ive made. Ive now waxed the boxes and to be honest with you it was a bit of a pain in the arse. trying to get an even coat without the wax drying off too early took some doing, turns out the best one i did was the first one, they got progressivly worse from then on in

I got a K Ration which has an uneven coating, and some photos show this, I know, American, but ye know...

Try putting it in the oven to heat it, not 200C, but ye know wot I mean...lol

I was lucky, i had melting pots, so dipped mines as it was done, instead of "painting" it on... :wink: :D

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 18:40 pm 
2000+ Poster

Group: 16 Parachute Field Ambulance
Cheers for the scans! Cracking info!

Danny

Remembering the 36th Regiment of Foot, Herefordshire Militia, Herefordshire Rifle Volunteer Corps, Herefordshire Regiment, Hereford Light Infantry, Light Infantry and the Rifles.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 23:51 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: The Royal Warwicks - KP1
SaddleTramp wrote:
I was lucky, i had melting pots, so dipped mines as it was done, instead of "painting" it on... :wink: :D

Yeah, i went down the melting pots line (ish). I used a big flat bottomed pyrex dish thingy and melted the wax in that in the oven at about 150 for a short while. then dipped the boxes in the molten wax, it still was difficult to achieve a nice even finish but the result wasnt too bad, it will do.

2nd Bton Royal Warwickshire Rgt
185th Brigade
3rd British Infantry Div

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 0:27 am 
3000+ Poster

I find soft bee's wax or boot waterproofing wax pretty good as you can just apply it with a cloth, either straight of heat it until it's a liquid as it doesn't get too hot to handle, just re-apply until you get it as waxy as you want.

Korean War reenactment forum: http://www.theforgottenwar.proboards61.com/index.cgi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:22 am 
 WWW  Profile

Group: VMD
Just was pointed to the site: http://www.thelabelman.com
for all sorts of period lables incl. some US army rations, I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 20:45 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

wdrob wrote:
Just was pointed to the site: http://www.thelabelman.com
for all sorts of period lables incl. some US army rations, I believe.

There's two which could have came in US Army rations, like the 10in1, 5in1, and Mountain...

Most of the labels are pre 1930s... But the guy is a gem, got two labels form him, and he sent one other as a good will gift... :D

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:40 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA • CHALK • PROUD MEMBER OF GPRA • SFAM
Now then all, here's my first attempt at replicating this elusive little box of 'goodies', a prototype if you will.

My intention is to make these for display only ie; nothing edible, but wanted to prove to myself that a decent edible version could be produced with a little thought and effort.

As you'll see I've had to make a couple of compromises:- The dehydrated meat block is a nightmare to reproduce, I bought Beef Jerky but it was in flakes and tasted like... well, there are no words to describe the flavour, I even got in touch with the company who produce it (in North Yorks) to see if they could let me have a 'block' of Jerky "sorry, can't help" was the response. So, I've replace the block with 6 Beef Stock cubes (as the menu/instructions don't show stock cubes anyway) and wrapped them accordingly.

The Tea is instant powdered tea with sugar wrapped in small bags and pressed into an ice cube tray then wrapped in brown paper.

I wasn't prepared to try and bake biscuits so these are bought ones which I've had to wrap although I believe the originals were unwrapped? Also, in this prototype pack there is no toilet tissue as Morrisons don't seem to stock Izal but this can be added later. The Oatmeal Blocks are actually Oatibix with the round ends cut off.

The box is fully waxed and sealed with white tape.

As I've said, the next one will be for display and will basically be blocks of whatever covered in paper.

I await your comments.

Cheers

Matt

Attachment:
DSCF0964_2.jpg

Attachment:
DSCF0954_2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://chalknumber.blogspot.com/

There's only two men that I trust; one of them is me... the other is not you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 15:30 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
ASDA have rolls of Izal Matt

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 21:27 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Squeakyclean wrote:
Now then all, here's my first attempt at replicating this elusive little box of 'goodies', a prototype if you will.

My intention is to make these for display only ie; nothing edible, but wanted to prove to myself that a decent edible version could be produced with a little thought and effort.

As you'll see I've had to make a couple of compromises:- The dehydrated meat block is a nightmare to reproduce, I bought Beef Jerky but it was in flakes and tasted like... well, there are no words to describe the flavour, I even got in touch with the company who produce it (in North Yorks) to see if they could let me have a 'block' of Jerky "sorry, can't help" was the response. So, I've replace the block with 6 Beef Stock cubes (as the menu/instructions don't show stock cubes anyway) and wrapped them accordingly.

The Tea is instant powdered tea with sugar wrapped in small bags and pressed into an ice cube tray then wrapped in brown paper.

I wasn't prepared to try and bake biscuits so these are bought ones which I've had to wrap although I believe the originals were unwrapped? Also, in this prototype pack there is no toilet tissue as Morrisons don't seem to stock Izal but this can be added later. The Oatmeal Blocks are actually Oatibix with the round ends cut off.

The box is fully waxed and sealed with white tape.

As I've said, the next one will be for display and will basically be blocks of whatever covered in paper.

I await your comments.

Cheers

Matt

Attachment:
DSCF0964_2.jpg

Attachment:
DSCF0954_2.jpg

Very, VERY nice... :wink: 8) :D

BTW, biltong tastes way much better ... :wink: :D

I will be attempting this ration shortly, and as ye say, and as I have had to do wi my US rations, ye have to compromise to both modern tastes (if edible), and modern can and packet sizes, and also availability... They make square oatmeal biscuits i asda btw, but not cheap...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 21:45 pm 

Group: Great British Bigfoot Appreciation Society
If any of you folk need German ration stuff, I just put up a mega haul of my own PDF labels and information so head on over to the Axis general threads area of the forum if you're interested!

CAN I GET A HOOAH?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 22:49 pm 
3000+ Poster

Oggy wrote:

Ian, Not in the midlands they dont, I am lead to believe that it has gone out of production now. If you can get hold of some in Hartlepool would you be kind enough to go and get me a couple of rolls and send them to me and i'll paypal you the money and beer money as a thanks. PM for details

185th Brigade
3rd British Infantry Div

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 22:51 pm 
3000+ Poster

Squeakyclean wrote:
Now then all, here's my first attempt at replicating this elusive little box of 'goodies', a prototype if you will..............

hi, can you explain how you packed the gum and what you used to pack it in please?

185th Brigade
3rd British Infantry Div

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 23:00 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Oggy wrote:

Done a search on their site, nothing (but loads of pizzas and tikka masalas come up) :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:24 am 
Forum Legend

Collins wrote:
Oggy wrote:

Ian, Not in the midlands they dont, I am lead to believe that it has gone out of production now. If you can get hold of some in Hartlepool would you be kind enough to go and get me a couple of rolls and send them to me and i'll paypal you the money and beer money as a thanks. PM for details

No worries Mucker...

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

Jo Hukam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:56 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Oggy wrote:
Collins wrote:
Oggy wrote:

No worries Mucker...

Does it look anything like this;

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:00 am 
Forum Legend

Naw, you've got to roll your own!

Jo Hukam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next