WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:49 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: a little help
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 22:26 pm 

Group: 4thindians
hey everyone need a hand here im curently reenacting british commonwelth ect and i wana expand a little bit im looking at doing a 2nd ranger division load out and well you probs guessed it i aint actualy got any equipment just yet so anybody in the know how about the division that could give me some info on patches/markings uniform ect ect would be grate and i have a question were tanker jakets a common think for infantrymen to ware mid-late war

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: a little help
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:23 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: EAFVG, EMLRA & other
Take a look at Normandy 44's website.

Also google rangers in the states there are some good groups with pictures in the US.

You'll need a Ranger diamond on the sleeve of your shirt & jacket.

Mid to late war these were becoming less common and some units were using scrolls.

Tanker jackets were not 'common'.

An M41 would be more authentic yet there are some good pics of NCO's & mainly officers wearing them.

I'm sure N44 and Ranger reenactments guys on here will give you better answers than me.

Freedom of expression is essential in enabling democracy to work and public participation in decision-making. Citizens cannot exercise their right to vote effectively or take part in public decision-making if they do not have free access to information and ideas and are not able to express their views freely. Freedom of expression is thus not only important for individual dignity but also to participation, accountability and democracy. Violations of freedom of expression often go hand in hand with other violations, in particular the right to freedom of association and assembly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:04 am 

yeah thanks pal find iut funny that 22 vewis and only one answer ha ha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 20:33 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FSSF-UK
I could be wrong, but don't think the 2nd Rangers where Divisional sized :D

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:30 am 
2000+ Poster

Get in touch with Dale (Ranger Capt),I'm sure he can give more details on 2nd Rangers . The 2nd did have a 'thing' about M41 Jackets and were widely used by them up to the end of the war.
1st, 3rd and 4th Battalions served in the Mediterean Theatre. Until January 1944 at Anzio where they were all but destroyed at Cisterna.What remenants that were not due for rotation home were sent as replacement to the First Special Service Force,it was a common practice to wear the Ranger Scroll above the spearhead among the ex-Rangers. The uniforms of the 1,3,4 Rangers gives great flexability.From the climbing boots worn in North Africa by the 1st Rangers,to the full winter uniform(wrongly called Tankers uniform). at the time of Cisterna. Not much evidence of these units wearing HBTs almost all photographs show them in wools. This suprised me as in the warm climates Cotton would be cooler than wool..
6th Rangers served in the Phillpines and thier most famous action was busting a prison camp and rescueing the inmates,real Rambo stuff. These guys were loosely associated with the Alamo Scouts,who operated more of less as LRRPS. The uniform for these guys was mostly HBTs or the Jungle uniform ,worn with Jungle or Buckle Boots.
Good book to read 'We Led the Way, Darby's Rangers' by William Darby and William H. Baumer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:46 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: HBSA, Lovat Society, UKPSA
DLI0013 wrote:

...maybe folk clicked on to see specifically what "little help" you were after? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 15:07 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
saddler wrote:
DLI0013 wrote:

...maybe folk clicked on to see specifically what "little help" you were after? :roll:

Trust me, he needs a lot of help :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 15:08 pm 
1000+ Poster

I need a little help..... :shock:

Freedom of expression is essential in enabling democracy to work and public participation in decision-making. Citizens cannot exercise their right to vote effectively or take part in public decision-making if they do not have free access to information and ideas and are not able to express their views freely. Freedom of expression is thus not only important for individual dignity but also to participation, accountability and democracy. Violations of freedom of expression often go hand in hand with other violations, in particular the right to freedom of association and assembly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 16:26 pm 

land-waster wrote:
Get in touch with Dale (Ranger Capt),I'm sure he can give more details on 2nd Rangers . The 2nd did have a 'thing' about M41 Jackets and were widely used by them up to the end of the war.
1st, 3rd and 4th Battalions served in the Mediterean Theatre. Until January 1944 at Anzio where they were all but destroyed at Cisterna.What remenants that were not due for rotation home were sent as replacement to the First Special Service Force,it was a common practice to wear the Ranger Scroll above the spearhead among the ex-Rangers. The uniforms of the 1,3,4 Rangers gives great flexability.From the climbing boots worn in North Africa by the 1st Rangers,to the full winter uniform(wrongly called Tankers uniform). at the time of Cisterna. Not much evidence of these units wearing HBTs almost all photographs show them in wools. This suprised me as in the warm climates Cotton would be cooler than wool..
6th Rangers served in the Phillpines and thier most famous action was busting a prison camp and rescueing the inmates,real Rambo stuff. These guys were loosely associated with the Alamo Scouts,who operated more of less as LRRPS. The uniform for these guys was mostly HBTs or the Jungle uniform ,worn with Jungle or Buckle Boots.
Good book to read 'We Led the Way, Darby's Rangers' by William Darby and William H. Baumer.

thats interesting stuff thank you i was going to go with HBTS but seeing as it seems a bit of a no no then i wont. id like to get it rite the first time so as much info as i can get would be fantastik m36 webbing seems to be esyer to get hold of than 44s so im gona stick with the kakhi stuff like .now i know this is probebly make alot of you sigh quite hevely but if you wached saveing pte ryan then youl see sgt mick horvarth waring "what i thought" was a tanker jacket.now i love the look of this jacket and im struggleing to find what it is maybe its a mistake on there behalf but if anyone can tell me than that would be grate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 16:35 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Strictly GI (UK)
Ooops

I don't mind a thief, but I can't stand a f**king liar.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 16:45 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: HBSA, Lovat Society, UKPSA
DLI0013 wrote:
land-waster wrote:

thats interesting stuff thank you i was going to go with HBTS but seeing as it seems a bit of a no no then i wont. id like to get it rite the first time so as much info as i can get would be fantastik m36 webbing seems to be esyer to get hold of than 44s so im gona stick with the kakhi stuff like .now i know this is probebly make alot of you sigh quite hevely but if you wached saveing pte ryan then youl see sgt mick horvarth waring "what i thought" was a tanker jacket.now i love the look of this jacket and im struggleing to find what it is maybe its a mistake on there behalf but if anyone can tell me than that would be grate

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
STOP USING HOLLYWOOD FOR UNIFORM/EQUIPMENT REFERENCE

Oggy wrote:
saddler wrote:
DLI0013 wrote:

Trust me, he needs a lot of help :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

YA FINK??

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 16:46 pm 
1000+ Poster

The jacket is an M43? 'Tankers' cold weather jacket.

M41 is more authentic, but you can wear both.

N44 correctly insists on M41's only.

M36 webbing only i'm afraid.

You can wear the green stuff but that's post D Day.

HBT's are fine as they were over garments to protect the mustards.

HBT's were worn if available in the hot weather.

I'm waiting for the flak ! :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 16:52 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Summer of '44.
Less Hollywood, more punctuation :lol:

But yes, that's a winter combat 'tankers' jacket being worn there. However, if you really do like the 'tanker' jacket then you'd be far better off doing 1st Ranger Battalion or one of the other Mediterranean battalions rather than 2nd or 5th Battalion in the ETO. That being said, not sure a jacket is a good reason to determine an impression...but what do I know? ;)

HBT's aren't necessarily a no-no, it just depends on which battalion (and which period) you're portraying as that will inevitably dictate what you wear. The same goes for everything else like all the other guys will tell you.

Might I suggest investing your first £100 in books. Sure, won't have the uniform put together as quickly but you'll be a lot better off for it. Money spent on books is never wasted (unless they're some of the Osprey publications :lol:)!

Pip.
1st and 6th Ranger Battalion fan.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 17:14 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Ranger Re-enactments
Oh Boy !!!

I guess you don't look on here and then along comes some questions and the usual answers get punted out.

Ok, where to start ??

Firstly bin the 'Mike Horvath' thing !!!!!!! BUT to make feel a little better then YES, YOU CAN WEAR A TANKERS JKT !!!!!! If we are concerned with the 2nd Ranger BATTALION only then can I recommended 'The Battalion' by Robert Black, this will defintely be a way forward for you. You should also consider 'The Fool Lieutenant' by Bob Edlin and also the very coffee table 'U.S. Rangers and Special forces in ww2' by Robert Todd Ross. These will give you a good base of photographic and literal information.

As for kit, it really depends on what period (Apr43-May45), what role/rank etc. The 2nd Ranger Battalion is fairly straight forward to re-enact but please forget SPR. Whilst this was an excellent film for reminding people of the D-day landings and how terrible the fighting was, there are sadly a fair few misnomers in the film.

Read Bob Blacks book, which although not definitive, it is a good start.

If you let me know what period and what role you wish to portray then I am more than willing to help you out with the corect kit you'll need.

Regards Dave Pratt

' Jeez, where's that damned Lt. taking us now, he's gonna get us all killed'

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 18:36 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Ranger Re-enactments
So I take it after all of the Q's no help is longer required ??

Cheers Dave

' Jeez, where's that damned Lt. taking us now, he's gonna get us all killed'

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 21:34 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Normandy44
Apologies for the late response, I don't inhabit this forum as much as N44's..............it's at www.N44.co.uk if you're interested. :wink:

As Dave says the 2nd Ranger impression is quite straight forward once you establish your timelines and position you are portraying. Not bumming up our forum but you'll get a response to any questions within the day as our lads are on there constantly.

Thanks to all that have mentioned the group as a reference point..................moocho appreciated!

What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Normandy44 Re-enactment Association

http://www.N44.co.uk