WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:43 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Well - Who watched it???
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 22:04 pm 
1000+ Poster

Location: This god dammed war - I just wanna get back to Knoxville!
Group: Groupy's Grumpy's & Ranger Re-enactments.
Just watched the time-team special on the Omaha landings on BBC2...And thought it was brilliant - they did the Rangers proud in my humble opinion...Well Done BBC! 8)

Regards - Minty.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:23 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Ranger Re-enactments
Hi 1st Sgt. !

Well from a Ranger p.o.v. it was a great programme and very humbling. It wasn't a great programme for the other US units however but how do you cram all that into just one hour long programme. Hammond did well i thought but there were some mistakes from some of the 'experts' and some of the evidence wasn't that well presented.

However, it was well done and I loved that shot of Dog Green at sunrise, reminded me of a certain day ?? Did it you ???

Dave

' Jeez, where's that damned Lt. taking us now, he's gonna get us all killed'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:00 pm 
3000+ Poster

Not taking away anything from a great show but once again i feel let down a bit as i know what the 2nd Rangers did was amazing but i still feel that the 5th Rangers were forgotten a little bit.

I mean it was the 5th Rangers with some 116th Boys who were the 1st up the bluff in Dog White.

I know i'm biased towards the 5th Rangers but sometimes i feel people tend to forget their existence.

But i really enjoyed the program i think it made people realize that the Rangers didn't just climb PDH but landed on the Beach too and their presence did something to those boys on the beach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:07 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Normandy44
I think Dave summed it up in the other thread when he said you could have turned it into a mini-series with all that happened on that day. Overall not a bad effort and I found myself wishing I was in Normandy and visiting some of these historic sites. I take it Hammy got special permission to go to the observation bunker on the "Pointe" with the Rangers memorial on the top of it or have they removed the barriers?

I took part in a photo-shoot on Omaha beach a number of years ago with Alain Batens guys but I'd have liked to have done it again in larger numbers. I don't want to glorify war but I'd like to have given the public some idea of the distance these poor guys had to travel to reach even moderate cover. I don't know what the authorities have planned for 2009 but I'd love to see a recreation of the landings but instead of loads of guys piling out and hitting the sand we'd have guys carrying Guidons of all the units that were involved on the day and maybe a wreath laying in memory of the fallen.

What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Normandy44 Re-enactment Association

http://www.N44.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 18:04 pm 
4000+ Poster

Hi Dale,

it would be great to do something but it very much depends on a question of taste and how appropriate it would be. I think what we did in 2006 with a service with us all was appropriate and proper and I know some of the other 'straightlegs' are looking at this again, in some numbers as well. We have time to sort this but yes mate be great to pay tribute, it really will depend on all 'the hangers on' and if we have a repeat of the farce of 2004. Those discreetly hidden AA batteries that were dotted around were quite impressive and the jamming was also good and all that so that one man in a suit could say a few words!

Funny they didn't need that last year when a MOH winner gave his speech at the opening of the visitor center at Colleville. Now there was a man who deserved that right to speak, but heh what do I know !

I'll be in touch fella as soon as I get five.

Cheers Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:03 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Normandy44
Cheers Dave,
I would like to see a large column of Rangers marching down to Omaha on the 6th of June. What with you guys, Patricks Rangers and us we should be able to muster at least 60 men. We'll try and work out a cunning plan for 2009 and as you say everything will need to be done with the upmost respect. :wink:

What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Normandy44 Re-enactment Association

http://www.N44.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:49 am 
2000+ Poster

I suppose the problem with the balance of info on what was a good programme is how many people would really really want to watch a mini series of it. Ok, obviously you guys. On the other hand, you already probably know all about it so would only be viewing to critique the show!
ttfn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 15:36 pm 
4000+ Poster

Hi Matt,

not neccesarily, I think many people think of SPR as being the 'benchmark' of what happened on the beaches. The BBC are to be applauded for putting this together and as I said I think Richard Hammond did a very good job of getting certain points across. The last comment was a bit of poetic journalism to end the programme but the guy who was a lecturer made some gaffs and he's a lecturer on the subject ! H'mmm. Still nobody's perfect.

I still feel that they should have mentioned the events that surrounded the 29th Inf Div. They went to the trouble of finding the official unit historian but made no mention as what happened to the 29th that day, afterall it was many of their men who they were talikng about on those aerial shots !!

You can't do everything in an hour as we said and , from me, I'd love to see more of the same. Mini series, definately but perhaps an episode for each individual beach ?

Cheers Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 18:07 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: 2nd Armored in Europe
Watched it and felt alittle dissapointed, it almost made me believe that the Rangers were the only guys on Omaha. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 19:38 pm 
3000+ Poster

Oh they were didn't ya know!

But yeah i do agree with you Jon. Nothing was mentioned about the 1st Infantry and nothing directly about the 29th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 21:02 pm 
1000+ Poster

I think Daves right that a mini series is needed, maybe it could be some how put forward to the bbc?

Thing that annoyed me the most was that it was c/116 that was first across the road and then up the bluff, followed by the 5th Rangers. No mention at all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:51 am 

How they recreated the beach and PDH scenes....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WRS9cpOMY ... -films.php

Not bad for just three guys!

Cheers,
Glen.

Look Out Below! : http://www.look-out-below.co.uk/

"The only thing stopping you, is you"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 17:29 pm 
4000+ Poster

Hi Glen,

similar to the Market garden drop in 'BoB' I guess ? friends of mine who know very little about this thought the programme was very good but still asked 'we know that many men died but why here and not on any other beach' ?

Sadly this was a failing of the programme as we discussed, needless to say I bored them witless but they have stated they are going over with me to have a look.

That beach is still one of the best in the world at sunrise, before the war the French called it 'La Plage D'or'. It seems incredible to see it now on a sunlit morning and them to imagine the hell of what happened on the 6th June 44'. Still a must see place in my book, take a walk along the beach up to Easy Red and up those steps, it still makes me think everytime I see it.

Cheers Dave