WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 21:29 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:31 am 
 WWW  Profile

Don't know who has read the or seen the film...But let's chat about the myths surrounding the Force shall we?...

Start off wi the RED berrets...WRONG...And Frederick was a consultant on THAT film... :?

"You could go down to the canyon
p**s away this incarnation
but just remember that you pay for what you get"

"Can't you make up your mind?"
"That's the trouble, I haven't got a brain"
"How can you talk if you haven't got a brain"
"I don't know, but some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?"

Owner of a 1940's film reel, original k ration box, toys in the attick, and a barrel full of clouds...

www.freewebs.com/fssf-uk

www.freewebs.com/jumpwings

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 21:16 pm 
2000+ Poster

Nice Ikes too,M51 Jacket&trousers, all very authentic looking. You thought the DVD was bad! How much did they pay Fredrick to put his name to that? Although it was made around the same time as Battle of the Bulge,so what do you expect? Its an American Army Uniform, that'll do! The only bit in the whole film that impressed me was William Holden's Dialogue at the end"So the Legend was born but the price was highetc.etc.". That's if you had n't fell asleep in boredom before the film ended.
Another Myth. " Candians were the best soldiers their country had(propably) the Americans were all criminals (not all of them). Many of the Americans volunteered just like the Canadians,although some were volunteered by their C.O. as they did n't fit in with normal soldiering. Shinberger would sort them out!
I got a few more I'll feed in later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 21:24 pm 
Supporter

Well that aswesome patrol that "Frederick" lead before la difenza....
obiously that was a cr*ck of s***t.

Pat O'neil was not a sergant with the PPCLI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 22:43 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Dunno...First time watched the film, turned off some ways thru.....Would have to watch again....

One thing, A vet says that the bar fight was kinda how it happenned.....An account I got about Pat O'Niel's life says that he walked into the towns bars looking for the toughest resident, eventually found him, and beat the crap outta him...no one bothered the Forcemen again....But that could be legend....Will see if if I can find out more....

"I don't know, but some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?"

Owner of a 1940's film reel, original k ration box, toys in the attick, and a barrel full of clouds...

www.freewebs.com/fssf-uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:03 am 
Supporter

I heard that as well that the link between the force were forge in a bar fight.
who knows for sure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:02 am 
 WWW  Profile

Or a series of fights...No matter, legends grow...Seen it happen in other walks of life...

www.freewebs.com/fssf-uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:57 am 
2000+ Poster

The modern day Special Forces are the successors to the Force. Modern day Special Forces do not operate on the same lines as the Force.The Force was not trained for clandestine operations or raise indigenous forces to fight against Invader/Government forces. Nor was it a Political weapon to be used against terrorist organisations or for assasination operations or hostage rescue. The only thing US special Forces have in common with the Force is the collar disc. Nothing before or since resembles the Force ,its conception and training was totally differnt to anything else(except perhaps the French Foriegn Legion).
It is my opinion that the Force is unique and I also believe that somewhere in Official Documents a memo exists stating that nothing like it is to ever be raised again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:57 am 

There is actually some "correctness" to the Maroon beret with the crossed arrows badge as depicted in the film.

For a very brief period (IIRC it was only a couple of months) in early 1945 that was what Canadian Forcemen who were waiting to be reallocated were authorised to wear.

So obviously, some Hollywood "costume designer" thought that would look really cute or dashing to be used as the main uniform in the film.

Another thing drastically wrong with the uniforms in the film is that a lot of the Canadians were wearing what looked like post-war British jungle fatigues or Canadian summer khakis. The main guy (Cliff Roberts?) looked like he was wearing some sort of civilian safari suit!

www.pathfindergroupuk.com

http://groups.msn.com/WWIIAirborneCommemorativeEvents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 19:53 pm 
maple-leaf wrote:
There is actually some "correctness" to the Maroon beret with the crossed arrows badge as depicted in the film.

For a very brief period (IIRC it was only a couple of months) in early 1945 that was what Canadian Forcemen who were waiting to be reallocated were authorised to wear.

So obviously, some Hollywood "costume designer" thought that would look really cute or dashing to be used as the main uniform in the film.

The berets in the film where RED, not maroon....The Canadian Forcemen who arrived in Italy (Dec. 9th?) where issued khaki berets, Canadian battle dress blouse and trousers. They where also permitted to wear their American jumpboots. The OFFICERS would sew a red rectangle of wool onto the beret as a backing for their American issue crossed arrows (FSSF officers) insignia. The other ranks wore nothing on their berets...After a final sorting, those with parachute training (25 officers and 270 other ranks) moved with Akehurst to the UK, arriving firstly in Scotland then to England....There they aquired the Maroon berets, I have been told, privately.....

That is about it....