WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:36 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: New Pointe du Hoc prints
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 19:33 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Normandy44
Here's some new prints of D Company at the Pointe. You'll notice that they don't wear leggings. This was confirmend to me buy Len Lommell but I'm sure you'll still get muppets saying that all Rangers should be wearing Leggings on D-Day. :evil:

http://www.valorstudios.com/RangersAtThePoint.htm#

What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Normandy44 Re-enactment Association

http://www.N44.co.uk

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 20:42 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: "They Led the Way"
Ranger-Cpt wrote:
Here's some new prints of D Company at the Pointe. You'll notice that they don't wear leggings. This was confirmend to me buy Len Lommell but I'm sure you'll still get muppets saying that all Rangers should be wearing Leggings on D-Day. :evil:

Your not going on about leggings again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

btw have that print as my background on the laptop.

Wullie Mulgrew CSRT

http://www.facebook.com/theyledtheway.

Rangers Lead The Way!

https://www.wisepropertycare.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:07 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: GI44-45
Ranger-Cpt wrote:

How awesome is that picture!!!!!

GI44-45

'Ours is to do or die not question how or why!'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 14:05 pm 

Group: Charlie Co., 5th Rangers
Ranger-Cpt wrote:

Great pic!!

...with the leggings, it all depends on what company of the 2nd you represent. D Co. was all jump boots and I think there was another company that was a 50/50 mix - E, C or F - I dont remember which....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 16:58 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

I think it's safe to say that A, B and C company hit the beaches with leggings on and D company at the Pointe didn't. I'm not 100% sure about E and F Company.

I think most company's would have dispensed with leggings by late 44 but you never know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:14 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Ranger Re-enactments
This is a superb print and I've seen one in 'the flesh' as it were. Sadly the limited editions went like wildfire and only the standard editions remain but it is a superb tribute to Len Lomell and D Co and what they achieved, why he was never awarded the MOH is still beyond me, likewise about another half dozen guys that day.

Leggings ? well it is recognised that D Co. did indeed 'drop' their issued leggings and chose to wear their HBT's bloused into their jump boots. A,B,C all wore leggings on Dog Green and Charlie Beaches. E and HQ Co's also all wore leggings including Rudder, F Co however appear to have had a mix of leggings and how they were worn and also just jump boots. Photographs show both 2nd and 5th Rangers wearing leggings during the Normandy campaign, after this it starts to get blurry. I have seen pictures of Rangers wearing them in Brittany but after this I cannot say. By the time the winter came around it would appear to be shoepacs, jump boots, D/buckle boots and the like. I have got a photo of a Ranger patrol in March 45 in Luxembourg and it would appear that leggings are being worn but the lower halves of the men are so muddy it's hard to tell.

Oddly enough though once the battalion reached Czechoslovakia in May 45 the pictures there all show them wearing wools and leggings again.

Hope this helps

Cheers Dave

' Jeez, where's that damned Lt. taking us now, he's gonna get us all killed'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:38 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

beachmaster wrote:
Oddly enough though once the battalion reached Czechoslovakia in May 45 the pictures there all show them wearing wools and leggings again.

It could be that by that stage in the war eike jackets were being more widely issued so they might have been issued with the trousers to go with them.The guys Hbt's were probably ruined by then and the war was nearly over so maybe they reverted to a smarter appearance as laid down by military law. We'll probably never know but I'm sure if we all keep digging and researching we might find out something eventually. I suppose Dave, once we find any new info it might benefit the Rangers Re-enactors of the future not us crusty old foggies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:59 am 

Group: Charlie Co., 5th Rangers
beachmaster wrote:

Leggings ? well it is recognised that D Co. did indeed 'drop' their issued leggings and chose to wear their HBT's bloused into their jump boots. A,B,C all wore leggings on Dog Green and Charlie Beaches. E and HQ Co's also all wore leggings including Rudder, F Co however appear to have had a mix of leggings and how they were worn and also just jump boots. Photographs show both 2nd and 5th Rangers wearing leggings during the Normandy campaign, after this it starts to get blurry. I have seen pictures of Rangers wearing them in Brittany but after this I cannot say. By the time the winter came around it would appear to be shoepacs, jump boots, D/buckle boots and the like. I have got a photo of a Ranger patrol in March 45 in Luxembourg and it would appear that leggings are being worn but the lower halves of the men are so muddy it's hard to tell.

A few memebers of the 5th wore the leggings for the D-day campaign, but it was a very small number...

Pics are hard to come by, but I'm trying to get a hold of as many as I can - were these that you mention on your harddrive, on a website, or in a book? I'd love to see them, so any help findong more would be great.
thanks
guenther

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 17:26 pm 
4000+ Poster

Hi Guenther,

The pictures for the 2nd are well known, take a look in 'Spearheading D-day' for one example, this shows the Rangers at PDH with them on and also at time of embark. The famous shot of Rudder leading then battalion at Weymouth shows both men from A Co. and HQ co wearing leggings. Bill Eikner on PDH cleaning his carbine near to Lou Lisko will show HQ men with them on. Take a look in the schiffer book on 'Rangers and US special forces in WW2' and this will show the same pics and alos shots of both the 5th and 2nd guys days after the invasion at the time of the first service held for the men and also when the captured the horses for scouting and the shot or 'Ranger' the black labrador, they all show the guys wearing a combination of footwear and leggings.

And it goes on ! but the main thing is that there were no clear rule son the wearing of Leggings for the battalion, hence the age old argument among Ranger re-enactors about weraing the bloody things ! Still doesn't beat French re-enactors wearing US arm flags though but don't get me started on that one !!!

Dale, hello mate, can't confirm that about the Ike jackets either, most of the shots I've seen show the Rangers in tunics and most of these were taken after the end of the war. This may be down the fact that they never recieved the Ike due to the fact that they never came of the line in order to replenish or it could just be that there aren't any pictures to show this, guess we'll have to ask the guys themselves if we're lucky enough to get the chance. After Brittany it would appear that the 2nd wore a mixture of wools and HBT trews, certainly by Spring 45' it would appear that they were all wearing wool trousers.

Which just goes to prove that being a Ranger re-enactor is not all SPR and I guess thats one of the reasons why we do it.

Keep the info coming.

Cheers Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 20:38 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Agree with Dave on the complexity of the leggings scenario, absolute minefield.

I think we Rangers groups just need to agree rules on leggings etc within our own clubs and learn to live with them.

Live and let live is the order of the day on this and hopefully we'll respect each others choices in the matter.

There's isn't that many groups in this country doing Rangers so we need to learn to respect each others differences and work closer together. Most of us are competitve in life and sometimes in shows in the hobby. I'm as guilty as the next man but I'm going to try my hardest in future to restrain my competitive tendency's............................promise!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:13 am 
4000+ Poster

Hi Dale

I don't think your being competitive mate, it's just how we strive to get things right. The main thing is to pool our research, sadly there isn't that much info on the Rangers compared to many other US units. This is down to the nature of their actions and the lack of a higher echelon to keep a complete inexhaustible diary of their war.

They did have after action reports that were compiled by members of the unit but they are not always full of the details that we need.

So no probs at all on how you do things mate, we just keep striving to get it right. The refreshing things is that we do try and get it right, it's the ones who don't that need the help.

Cheers D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 13:18 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

True Dave,
I'm never happy and I'm always trying to improve things but as you say at least RR and N44 try and improve.