WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:47 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:05 am 
 WWW  Profile

Bilko wrote:
Only the short timers,As most of the longer service personal[that was left] went stateside after march 44..
that is also why for a short period the ranger scroll was warn above the spear head.

Dave.

On 8th March 5th Army assigned the 456th PFAB as a permament attachement to the FSSF and ordered that the US 4th Ranger Battalion disbanded to provide the unit with roughly 20 officers and 500 EM replacements. In doing so Clark intended to increase the Force from roughly 2000 to around 3500 to "combine the best of 5th Army's special troops into a hard hitting, well led unit which will be of even greater value to the Army Commander than it's very excellent component parts".

Easier said than done....Men from each unit where convinced that theirs was the the most elite unit in the Army, and this created tension when the "very excellent component parts" where combined into an expanded FSSF. Many Rangers resented being assigned, however, it was somewhat considered that many replacement where "Rangers in name only" because Rangers with more than two years of overseas service had been returned to the U.S as instructors. So really, it wasn't as easy as Clark had hoped....

The Canadians on the other hand literary lined up and Akehurst had choice of the best....

"You could go down to the canyon
p**s away this incarnation
but just remember that you pay for what you get"

"Can't you make up your mind?"
"That's the trouble, I haven't got a brain"
"How can you talk if you haven't got a brain"
"I don't know, but some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?"

Owner of a 1940's film reel, original k ration box, toys in the attick, and a barrel full of clouds...

www.freewebs.com/fssf-uk

www.freewebs.com/jumpwings

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 18:26 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Ranger Re-enactments
Paul,

Thanks for the posting altough going a little off thread. Sad thing is if you look at what had happened to the 4th battalion and then Clark comes up with this great idea you too would probably be a little p****d !

Whilst many long serving Rangers did go Stateside and to the UK to train other Rangers, the 'replacements' would not have been 'Rangers in name only' ! Try telling a 4th Ranger or any Ranger that, they all had to qualify, hence the resentment felt to Clark from the battalion. They joined the FSSF but they joined as Rangers and you know from your research that they never let that go either.

Cheers Dave

' Jeez, where's that damned Lt. taking us now, he's gonna get us all killed'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 19:43 pm 
 WWW  Profile

beachmaster wrote:
Paul,

Thanks for the posting altough going a little off thread. Sad thing is if you look at what had happened to the 4th battalion and then Clark comes up with this great idea you too would probably be a little p****d !

Whilst many long serving Rangers did go Stateside and to the UK to train other Rangers, the 'replacements' would not have been 'Rangers in name only' ! Try telling a 4th Ranger or any Ranger that, they all had to qualify, hence the resentment felt to Clark from the battalion. They joined the FSSF but they joined as Rangers and you know from your research that they never let that go either.

Cheers Dave

Dave

Just repeating what was written, and it must have been an attitude back then or it wouldn't have been noted...I guess it was the same attitude given to the airborne replacements that I have seen in movies from then and now...I was told about replacements from one vet ...dunno about soldiers attitudes from the other armies ...

Met a couple of Darbys Rangers (that went over to the FSSF) at the reunion in Rome and they really didn't mention that they came from there..Just that they where FSSF...They probably played it down as it was not relevant to my time there with them...There is still a "feeling" there about replacements, even now....

Paul

"I don't know, but some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?"

Owner of a 1940's film reel, original k ration box, toys in the attick, and a barrel full of clouds...

www.freewebs.com/fssf-uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 20:07 pm 
4000+ Poster

Hello mate,

No problem at all with that, I know what happened and I've read the dfeelings of some of the 4th Battalion. You can imagine it, their buddies get wiped out in the 3rd Battalion they've gone over to help out, Clark pulls the plug on them and then sends them to another unit !! They were proud to be in the FSSF no doubt but the wording Clark used made them very bitter about how they were disbanded to the four corners !

I know a few of the 1st Guys joined the FSSF but that was on different terms as they transfered in by 'choice' to help with the setting up of the Force. I guess it was just the 4th guys who felt that Clark let them down and they weren't the onlu unit or action he changed for his benefit as we know.

Look forward to seeing you guys at Twinwoods.

Cheers Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 21:18 pm 
Supporter

Group: FSSF
Mark Clarke let a lot of units and people down :evil: ,What we all must remeber is the MTO was a side show for them up there :roll: so what do they care about unit pride..i bet there were some fights at first?..Back on thread,How much would a pair of JB's go for??10 pack of ciggys,bottle of booze?because that how it was,you like something you trade or steal :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 22:36 pm 
 WWW  Profile

beachmaster wrote:
Hello mate,

No problem at all with that, I know what happened and I've read the dfeelings of some of the 4th Battalion. You can imagine it, their buddies get wiped out in the 3rd Battalion they've gone over to help out, Clark pulls the plug on them and then sends them to another unit !! They were proud to be in the FSSF no doubt but the wording Clark used made them very bitter about how they were disbanded to the four corners !

I know a few of the 1st Guys joined the FSSF but that was on different terms as they transfered in by 'choice' to help with the setting up of the Force. I guess it was just the 4th guys who felt that Clark let them down and they weren't the onlu unit or action he changed for his benefit as we know.

Look forward to seeing you guys at Twinwoods.

Cheers Dave

ONLU?...Have ye switched to talking Hawaian?.... :lol:

I've talked to three Darbys Rangers so far, s**t, even got drunk wi one!

www.freewebs.com/fssf-uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 23:57 pm 
4000+ Poster

Hi Paul,

It's the the old dyslexia of the fingers again !!!! I'm sure the 1st guys would have told you about what happened, must have been a hell of an experience to drink with these guys.

Dave, as you say mate, trading/begging/stealing would have gone on for the boots but they were an issue item for the Rangers and the Airborne hated that !! They were so prized that many of the guys kept them for walking out dress, the thing was once they went over to the Continent they never came back to the UK and so many wore them for combat use. Many of the 2nd and 5th Guys wore them for the landings anyway as they thought they be better dealing with coping with seawater and also for the 2nd guys, climbing the Pointe but not all wore them. The 2nd Battalion did get leave whilst on the Continent and wore the boots for going out in.

Many pictures of the Rangers in all the theatres they fought in show the men wearing JB's other than the 1st guys who went to Dieppe.

Cheers Dave