WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 0:05 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Crofts Pike
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:36 am 

Historical Trivia: Pikemen of the Home Guard

In early 1942 the shortage of weapons to arm the recently formed Home Guard (formed in May 1940) saw the issuing of hurriedly made pikes. Made of steel tubing and surplus sword bayonets the 5 foot long pikes were received with derision by the men of the Home Guard. Following the Dunkirk Evacuation from France in the summer of 1940 the British military as a whole was suffering from severe arms and equipment shortages as small arms production struggled to keep up and the Lend-Lease programme began to gain momentum.

In 1941, Winston Churchill had called for the 1.6 million men of the Home Guard to be quickly armed with anything that could be described as a weapon. By 1941 the Home Guard had been issued with 847,000 rifles and almost 50,000 machine guns of various ages and origins. A whole slew of improvised weapons from sticky bombs to smoothbore anti-tank guns like the Smith Gun were also created with varying degrees of success. The War Office ordered 250,000 pikes but very little were actually issued and the morale of the Home Guard units which did receive them suffered. Lord Croft, the Under-Secretary of State for War was questioned in Parliament where he attempted to explain the pikes may be useful in close quarters urban combat or in night fighting.

Private Clarkson of the 1st Essex Home Guard unit Wickford .

Detail of the base , snow made with baking soda and thinned down PVA glue , some dry brushed green and brown added when set , The fence posts made of pine , staves are coffee stirrers , all painted and weathered .

The pike was made with a brass tube and the blade from plastic card . Helmet and gas mask from the John Coleman set , various other uniform items from recycled bashes . The gas mask was filled with lead shot to give it some bulk and get it to hang right , highlighted with yellow acrylic paint , brown and black pastel chalk dust to weather the uniform a little , the helmet was dusted with brown just to take the shine off the green paint . The gaiters would have been leather for HG , which were moulded in with the plastic boots , painted in matt black then the toe caps and gaiters painted in gloss nail varnish . Hands also painted matt black to look like gloves .
I couldn't find out what the unit was in the photo , but I found some images of the badges on the net so I printed them off and cut them out , as the unit is local to me .

A project dio which has taken months finally finished .

Bob

p. s I did wrap some bubble wrap around the lower torso to give him a bit of belly and takeaway the highly toned body image of the figure .

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Crofts Pike
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:03 am 

What a excellent model you have built Bob, I like every bit of it from the face the figure, uniform, pike, to the little diorama, what scale did you make it to. Gerwyn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:10 am 

Hi

Its in 1/6 [ 12" tall ] the Head Sculpt is a custom job I did on a rather boring plain face .

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:07 pm 

Group: Hampshire Regt.
Outstanding!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 13:19 pm 

RobinDBanks wrote:
Hi

Its in 1/6 [ 12" tall ] the Head Sculpt is a custom job I did on a rather boring plain face .

Bob

Have you ever thought of making WW1, BEF, D-Day, figures, painting the faces are the hardest part of doing figures, and I would never have thought of using baking soda and thinned down PVA glue for the snow effect, I use the snow you can buy for Christmas, that you sprinkle on, I glue where I want it, and use white filler covered in it, if needed to build up areas, I like what you have done, it would look great on any WW2 static display.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 15:25 pm 

I have a few done in the last couple of years , here is a German sniper in the snow

A standard body and head , I painted the snow camo on the helmet and stained the snow suit in black coffee .
and made the arm band apparently troops would wear different colour band on different days to tell friend or foe .

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 16:16 pm 

I like the way you do them Bob, did you use a bit of twig for the tree stump effect.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 16:35 pm 

Group: On Parade & The Law at War
Nothing makes models look better than a little weathering. My father is big into model boats and the group he's with have a mutual interest in tug boats and working boats. However - nearly all the other boats are pristine and new. Not how a working boat would look at all. It annoys me a bit.

Similarly - with a lot of the DID 1/6 figures - they're lovely but they all look too clean and too new. I love the weathering on the snow jacket of yours, coffee is obviousley a good idea because that looks great. I used to go skiing a lot and the light sandy mud you get in french mountains stains ski jackets almost exactly the shade of beige you've got on your jacket!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 21:40 pm 

Yes any interesting prunings from the garden get put to one side , its amazing how much you look at and think maybe that would make a so and so .

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:01 pm 

RobinDBanks wrote:
Yes any interesting prunings from the garden get put to one side , its amazing how much you look at and think maybe that would make a so and so .

Bob

I do the same Bob, Made a WW1 man in a dugout, or has my granddaughter use to say, dead man in a box, its all made from anything I can find, even used dirt from the garden mixed PVA to make the sides.