WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:52 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: A little puzzlle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 22:00 pm 

Group: Tay/5 & 1st American Sqdn., Home Guard
I recently recieved a respirator cannister. It is darkish olively green (another one i've seen was white). 2 > shaped pieces are rivetted to the cannister. A cord, knotted at the ends, go through grommets that are punched through the metal >. The cord is VERY long,i'm 5' 8" and the cannister hangs by my ankles, with the cord crossing my body, so I assume it would have been adjusted for the wearer. The lid has a retangular area that is ou lined with stamped ridges, and within the area is a blank piece of sticky tape. I assume one's name would have been on the tape. The lid also has a single loops for the cord to run through. Inside the lid are printed instructions of how to insert the respirator. The cannister body is lined in a light twilled canvas. On the bottom is stamped:
I
M A L

So possible unissued HG emergency issue respirator cannister? Unsold cannister made for the civilian market? Anyone seen anything similar?

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: A little puzzlle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:44 am 

Group: Civil Defenders
Sorry, I can't help - never come across anything like that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:57 am 
1000+ Poster

one of these?
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/WW2-BRITISH-GAS ... 2144860699

I alwyas thought they were early HG issue because the cardboard boxes tended to fall apart through usage.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:43 pm 

Group: Tay/5 & 1st American Sqdn., Home Guard
That's the very one sitting right next to me. Funny, when I was first looking at it on ebay I couldn't read the blurb since there were multiple bars across it obscuring the text (computer acting wonky ). Now I can make out of it, and it reads that it was issued to a member of the Leeds HG. I wonder why the cord was left so long.

It would be interesting to find others and note the differences in colour and construction. A friend has one with a twill tape carrying strap that is stamped, with red ink, Cornwall / Devon HG. It is painted white and is unlined. Another that I saw in a photo looks as if it was grey. Start of side collection?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 14:17 pm 
1000+ Poster

I've had 3 and they've all looked like the one you have, although not with a really long cord. Maybe the chap was on the portly side?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:02 am 

I gathered that these were tins issued initially to Army Cadets for their civilian respirators and pressed into HG use. As you say, the cardboard boxes would have not withstood much rigorous wear and the classic gasmasks were not yet available,...so, like so much to do with the HG, these were adopted by the Home Guard. I did have one with a chap's HG unit written on the lid.

Ian