WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 16:25 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Stood Down?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:50 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Leicestershire Home Guard Remembrance
In the words of the great Pink Floyd song... "Hello, is there anybody out there?" or has this forum and its members gone to the great parade ground in the sky?

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Stood Down?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:25 am 

Group: Civil Defenders
Still here. But I found I received no posts at all for several days last week. I wonder what is happening.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:43 am 
1000+ Poster

The amount of activity is much reduced over what it used to be but still active. Where have the people gone to, Face Pages or another Forum I am not aware of?

The downside with a FB Page's is I always think is that you cannot search for historic posts so without trawling through large numbers of posts, any information is lost.

Even worse I always think is the Military Heraldry Society who turn up incredible stuff on British cloth badges in their Newsletters but it is not available either in a searchable online format or in books.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:31 pm 

I couldn't get on here a couple of days ago, kept signing in then my user name and pass word disappeared, I thought I had offended someone :( :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:48 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Still here, still looking for posts to comment on but... its all FB these days, little meat anywhere else to be found.

Apart from anything else, the ability everyone has to control t**** on there is superior to old fashioned forum software that needs moderators.

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 13:40 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Harry & Edna on the Wireless
I do pop in every now and then to say 'wot ho'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 15:55 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
pioneer64 wrote:
I couldn't get on here a couple of days ago, kept signing in then my user name and pass word disappeared, I thought I had offended someone :( :D

Interesting that, I had a similar problem, was 'logged in' or so I thought but didn't appear to be able to do much, so tried to log out to log in again, reboot if you like, it wouldn't let me, said my current session wasn't configured to do that, couldn't post or PM either ... Eventually the next morning I logged out on my cell phone, and found all was OK on my PC too, whether that was as a result of my action on the phone, or it had cleared itself, I don't know ... seems like it could have been a site malfunction .. maybe .. ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 23:41 pm 

Group: Tay/5 & 1st American Sqdn., Home Guard
Still here, I just haven't seen anything new to repond to. I was wondering if my computer was going west and wasn't showing any of the new posts.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:16 pm 

Interesting that, I had a similar problem, was 'logged in' or so I thought but didn't appear to be able to do much, so tried to log out to log in again, reboot if you like, it wouldn't let me, said my current session wasn't configured to do that, couldn't post or PM either ... Eventually the next morning I logged out on my cell phone, and found all was OK on my PC too, whether that was as a result of my action on the phone, or it had cleared itself, I don't know ... seems like it could have been a site malfunction .. maybe .. ??[/quote]

Hi Allen, I just left it for a couple of days, then everything was ok.

Gerwyn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 14:19 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Back again :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 16:15 pm 

Warden_D wrote:
Back again :-)

Where have you been :?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 16:29 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Group: Glamorgan Home Guard, AFRA
I guess less people reenacting in general and those that do are using other social media to communicate with others.

I know of a few groups that the membership is ageing and they cant sustain the momentum of previous years (the heydays).

This hobby isn't getting the regular infux of younger people and therefore doomed to dwindle to smaller numbers. Those younger people that do enter our hobby, will use Facebook over forums.

There are some older people coming into the hobby, but in my opinion they are not reenactors, but promanaders (many well dressed), but not with the same ethos as the long term reenactors.

"LIFE IS GOOD" - Hitcock45

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 22:28 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
I spent a week at W&P with some comrades relatively new to this game, mixed with a few of those who were green recruits 5 years ago.

Its all very much alive and well, even if I do feel like grandpa with that lot!

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 14:24 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

I have to agree with 'Old Guard' in my mind the hobby is much smaller than it was, & this is the same whatever time period one is portraying. It is a very much an aging hobby.

I recently moved to the south coast and was interested to see if there was a group locally I could join, sadly so far I have not been able to find one.

Harry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 15:20 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Leicestershire Home Guard Remembrance
Is it simply due to 'ageing re-enactors'?

Not all were in that age bracket - in fact, many are/were in their 20s-40s.

I see a lot of second-hand re-enactors uniforms on evilbay.

I think it is also to do with various factors, from cost, infighting/pettiness and for many it was only a fad which reached its peak around 2010, with the 70th anniversaries.

I think, far more alarmingly, as the Greatest Generation passes on, WW2 is fading from public consciousness and younger generations are not interested in it as they have no direct relationship to it - just look at how few WW2 documentaries there are on TV nowadays and how few WW2 books are being published: if you go to Pen & Sword books' website, whereas it used to be 95% WW2/WW1, it's now massively watered down with books on buses, trains, murders, crime and local history. It's the same with militaria fairs, too, less interest and less footfall....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 15:59 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Group: Glamorgan Home Guard, AFRA
LEI-12-HG wrote:
Is it simply due to 'ageing re-enactors'?

Not all were in that age bracket - in fact, many are/were in their 20s-40s.

I see a lot of second-hand re-enactors uniforms on evilbay.

I think it is also to do with various factors, from cost, infighting/pettiness and for many it was only a fad which reached its peak around 2010, with the 70th anniversaries.

I think, far more alarmingly, as the Greatest Generation passes on, WW2 is fading from public consciousness and younger generations are not interested in it as they have no direct relationship to it - just look at how few WW2 documentaries there are on TV nowadays and how few WW2 books are being published: if you go to Pen & Sword books' website, whereas it used to be 95% WW2/WW1, it's now massively watered down with books on buses, trains, murders, crime and local history. It's the same with militaria fairs, too, less interest and less footfall....

...... All of that too :wink:

"LIFE IS GOOD" - Hitcock45