WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 14:45 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 22:50 pm 

I have found a couple of photos in which Home Guard members have their haversacks on their backs as backpacks, anyone know how they rigged them?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:36 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
You put the strap over your head and under the respirator haversack (which is worn at the alert position on your chest)

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 13:37 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Leicestershire Home Guard Remembrance
Sometimes they were lined with cardboard to give them squareness/stiffness. However, they were pretty useless, as if you suddenly dive down, they ride up and bang you on the back of the head. Not only that, the single harness and wide flap mean lots of items could fall out of it.

Last edited by LEI-12-HG on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 19:22 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Group: Glamorgan Home Guard, AFRA
alternative method haversack over your head strap going around your waist and then over your head, like kids used to carry satchels

"LIFE IS GOOD" - Hitcock45

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 19:55 pm 

Group: Tay/5 & 1st American Sqdn., Home Guard
I've worn it the way Barry mentioned. I'd have thought the other way would have the respirator pushed up to your adams apple or the haversack hanging down the middle of your back. What ever works I suppose, or however RSM wants you to wear it...

Cheers,
Peter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 20:31 pm 

Since posting this I have seen a picture of a haversack with the strap sewn to the bottom of the bag to make 2 loops, the problem with this being the need for 2 haversacks depending on the way you want to wear it.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm in a new Home Guard re-enactment group, so we need all the help we can get.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 21:00 pm 

Funny you should mention the above method. I had asked about doing that when I first started. Is the photo a period photo?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:27 am 
4000+ Poster

Cobblers wrote:
I've worn it the way Barry mentioned. I'd have thought the other way would have the respirator pushed up to your adams apple or the haversack hanging down the middle of your back. What ever works I suppose, or however RSM wants you to wear it...

Nah, it works just fine.

There is a limit to how much crap you can put in the haversack in the first place. Its not a Bergen!

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:11 pm 

I'll have to give it a try.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 15:03 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Group: Glamorgan Home Guard, AFRA
I have managed to put into my haversack, everything suggested in 1942 ... that a Home Guard should have, including a sharp knife and meat cleaver (NCOs)

"LIFE IS GOOD" - Hitcock45

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 20:45 pm 

Cobblers wrote:
Funny you should mention the above method. I had asked about doing that when I first started. Is the photo a period photo?

The picture is not period, it's from a reference book.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:47 am 

The photo is from 'Uniforms of the Home Guard'. It might still be worn "satchel style" and the belt is twisted as it crosses the back. I think it would be unique if it was permanently converted to a backpack. I don't think anyone has found an original that was converted to a backpack. Though you might be able to do a temporary conversion with a wacking great safety pin. How long it would hold up is another question...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:40 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
Out of curiosity I asked the Haworth HG members on Wed. at the monthly social about this mentioned that the question had been asked here .... apparently it was not unusual at all for the haversack to be worn this way, there was it seems though different ways of carrying it.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 23:41 pm 

Clear use of the "round the respirator bag" method.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:26 am 

Group: Civil Defenders
This is the same unit, 58th Batt. Are they wearing haversacks on their back? http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205145139

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:54 am 
4000+ Poster

Out of interest, any idea of the date of that Churchill photo on the IWM?

Those are very well equipped HG...