WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 0:02 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Re: .410 shotgun
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 21:13 pm 

Excellent read, although it does throw up a few questions, for instance the article includes Springfield 03's and M1 Garand rifles, and when I asked about them no one could recall seeing any photo's or even mention of the Home Guard being issued with them, but then again it also mentions the number 75 Hawkins mine as being issued to HG, but the Coleshill forum couldn't find a mention of it being issued to the Auxiliary, even though it would have been perfect for them.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 15:06 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Kev, there are all sorts of strange corners of the subject of the Home Guard.

One thing is for sure, very little was completely standard across the breadth of a million strong improvised army.

That paper is pretty good though. I'd probably combine that with any local info you can find from whatever unit you portray. Try writing a letter to your local newspaper saying you are researching the Home Guard and can anyone help... the old boys read local newspapers, they don't read Facebook :D

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:35 am 

I hate Facebook, I'll admit that my researching could be broader, and the question I raised here was just a part of an idea that came to mind, to see if anyone here could throw light on it from their research, so I'll try to discover more info from somewhere else, maybe the local paper, but more likely shooting magazines from the period, the actual people who lived through those dark days keep getting fewer !!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 14:57 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Well, i'd ask now and not wait much longer.

HG reenactors of the future won't have the chance to ask!

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:31 am 

Group: Civil Defenders
Re Number 75 Hawkins mine: "The Home Guard" S P Mackenzie 1995, page 93 says "Grenades of this sort (i.e. Sticky bombs) - as well as the more commonly used Mills bomb and Hawkins anti-tank mine - were helpful, but what was really needed was some sort of close support weapon... (such as the Northover projector)".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 13:14 pm 
1000+ Poster

The Garand's were discussed before on another thread. I thought someone suggested they were kept in store and some found their way to the Royal Marines post-war.

I think I have seen a picture of Springfield's being used in the past but don't ask me where.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 18:22 pm 

The 75 grenade could be used as anti tank or anti personnel mine, or demolition charge, or as a trip mine booby trap, and would have been perfect for the Home Guard Auxiliary units, but when I asked on the Coleshill forum, an administrator replied that in all of the paperwork searched no mention of the number 75 was found as being issued to any Auxiliary units, only ordinary explosives and (of course) plastic explosive.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 18:28 pm 

I have heard that the Garand rifle was in Royal Marine use during the Sicily landings, but can't verify it, The Springfield 03 in Home Guard hands, would be nice to know more about that one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 22:17 pm 

Group: Tay/5 & 1st American Sqdn., Home Guard
I believe the '03s were used by the NZ HGs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:44 am 

The Garands ended up with the RAF and Combined Operations.

Some of the Springfield were given to the Free French.

NONE of the above ended up with the British Home Guard.

The Doctoral mentioned above has been converted into a book. I just got a copy off Amazon and am reading it now. It is:

Britain's Final Defence. Arming the Home Guard, 1940-1944. By Dale Clarke.

The chapter on artillery maned by the HG is very good.

Regards

AlanD
Sydney

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 22:29 pm 

Group: bikini state modernish raf regiment newark air mu
I've heard of mk4 smle's being converted to 410 before for a cheap single shot shot gun time line slips me though

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 19:22 pm 

I have just watched this documentary , at 36 minutes a gentleman who was in the City of London HG said he was issued with a Ross P37 in 300 rimless . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmbMIYGOebs

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:55 am 

As far as I know the Ross was issued in .303 though it was designed for a rimmed .280 . I am not aware of any military issue Ross rifle, Lord knows I am no expert, in .300 . I suspect he is referring to the P17. His unit might have started of with the Ross which then were replaced by P17s.

Last edited by Cobblers on Mon Mar 20, 2017 0:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:00 am 

Or, you can by the book which the author of the PhD thesis has written.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... home+guard

Regards

AlanD
Sydney

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 13:12 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Stars and Stripes LHG
The Ross was defently used by the Home Guard, not sure of Mk, my great uncle told me of an incident of a Ross bolt hitting someone in the face and being hospitalised because the bolt was assembled wrong, which can easily happen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 0:47 am 

Which was one of many reasons why it was withdrawn front frontline Canadian service and replaced by the SMLE. The M1910 Mk III Ross had the bolt problem, not the MK II, It was fixed with a rivet, but how many got the fix is another story.

Check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaSui_UqDX8