WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:00 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Daytime Patrols
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 17:33 pm 

I have what may be a silly question! I know that the Home Guard performed nightly patrols all the time they were in existence but did they do anything routinely during the daytime? Does anyone know of any daytime patrols
or other activities apart from Sunday exercises?

thanks
Ian

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Daytime Patrols
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 19:37 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
As far as I am aware, because of the largely reserve occupation status of the members, it was evenings and about 48hrs a week - which will have allowed for workers (such as my family members) who worked shift work to still take an active part.

However, a little google I did for you just now (because I was interested in the answer too), reveals this:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=vr8 ... me&f=false

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 22:14 pm 

Thanks for that link - interesting. I guess - like most things to do with the Home Guard - it varied throughout the HG but there doesn't seem to have been anything formal during the daytime.

regards

Ian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 17:05 pm 

Scroll down this page until you reach the piece on Private Thomas Harper. The interesting quote is:-

Describing tactics when on patrol, he said: "By night be alert, by day move slowly".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2191365/Forget-Dads-Army-newly-released-war-records-shows-Britains-Home-Guard-Lads-Army-somethings-teenagers.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 15:35 pm 

Group: Tay/5 & 1st American Sqdn., Home Guard
What about road blocks, taking over guarding airfields during the build up for D-Day and after? Not to mentioned being expected to help out the Civil Defense after a bombing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 16:28 pm 
4000+ Poster

Not sure about those things actually. If you think about the HG being essential in their day jobs for war work then you have to wonder how they found time for other things.

To add to your list, some AA and coastal defence artillery work too, but I think that was largely post-DDay

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 14:06 pm 

You're correct of course, about the road blocks etc requiring daytime duty - maybe that was just for those who were waiting to join up or otherwise without dayjobs? I know of local (Margate) HG men being transferred to artillery postings well before D Day but I don't think they were required to attend parades, etc with the other HG men; one I spoke to said he didn't have much to do with the rest of the HG at all.

thanks for all your help with this
Ian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 14:12 pm 
4000+ Poster

The HG old boy I spoke to who was on a Z Battery in Gillingham definitely didn't do anything else but AA detail. And you'd imagine that they needed to man the guns 24x7, not just evenings and weekends!

Then again, with most war industries running 24x7 too, maybe some people working nights could work the day shifts?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 14:15 pm 
4000+ Poster

Also by 1943 wasn't there an element of conscription to the HG too?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 14:53 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Leicestershire Home Guard Remembrance
HGs only manned AA sites at night to relieve the Regular army who manned them in the daytime.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 15:03 pm 
4000+ Poster

The regular AA boys used Z batteries?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 14:21 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Leicestershire Home Guard Remembrance
Andrei Kozlov wrote:
The regular AA boys used Z batteries?

e.g. The battery was manned during the day by the men and women (ATS) of the 227 (M) [Mixed i.e. with ATS] Anti-Aircraft Regt RA, and during the night by the men of the new 101st Battalion Leicestershire Home Guard, hence the joint designation ‘227 (101st Leicestershire Home Guard) (‘Z’) Anti-Aircraft Rocket Battery’

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 16:10 pm 
4000+ Poster

Here's some interesting stuff actually:

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index ... pic=6749.0