WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 21:58 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 20:37 pm 

Group: None
Can anyone tell me whether or not Home Guards were issued with cap comforters, please?

I'm aware that the Auxiliary units had them, but I portray 'standard' Home Guard, and haven't seen any photos of them being worn.

I have a comforter and am doing an outside HG event this weekend and wish to keep warm (but authentic!).

Cheers,

Nigel

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 13:57 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Leicestershire Home Guard Remembrance
As with all things HG, it's difficult to say they *never* had them, because it was purely dependent on what their local TA Association could supply them with.

In my book on the Leicestershire and Rutland Home Guard ('To The Last Round'), there is a photo of Leicestershire HGs on a countywide exercise in 1943 wearing cap comforters. There is also a photo of Essex HGs in Warmen Courageous wearing them. IN both cases, they are HG fighting patrols/mobile squads (or as they liked to be known 'HG Commandos'). It made HGs feel more like the commandos they wanted to emulate.

So on short, yes you can wear one

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 18:05 pm 

Thanks Austin!

Very helpful of you: Evidence is everything!

Cheers,

Nigel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 19:37 pm 

Group: Isle of Man Home Guard Re-enactment Society
Hello!

Most HGs worn home knitted/ private purcahased balacavas, gloves and scarfes, I have an orginal set which came with a complete uniform.

regards

Baz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:11 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
LEI-12-HG wrote:
they are HG fighting patrols/mobile squads (or as they liked to be known 'HG Commandos'). It made HGs feel more like the commandos they wanted to emulate.

Yes and this is different to other "load outs"... it will contain stuff like fighting knives, toggle ropes, bags of bombs, "blacking up" etc

Not your usual Home Guard look at all.

Few people realise that they deployed such squads, which is different to the normal point defence type roles.

Very common though and not to be confused with Aux.

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 16:03 pm 

Thanks chaps!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 17:17 pm 

Group: Pontefract Home Guard. NWW2A, BF80
Cap comforters are a very common issue to most troops. Home guards included
Sam

317th (Airborne) Field Security Section

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 17:26 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Leicestershire Home Guard Remembrance
sjb york wrote:
Sam

The only proviso I'd say to that is that only a minority of HGs had cap comforters. They were meant to make do with their field service caps - which could also have the flaps turned down for extra 'warmth'. It seems the main supply of cap comforters went, not surprisingly, to the regular forces and the HG only seem to have received them towards the middle of the war.

HGs may also have made their own woolen comforts, but the khaki woolen gloves were an official issue - see issue levels in the back of Mills' books for details.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 17:34 pm 

Group: Pontefract Home Guard. NWW2A, BF80
LEI-12-HG wrote:
sjb york wrote:
Sam

The only proviso I'd say to that is that only a minority of HGs had cap comforters. They were meant to make do with their field service caps - which could also have the flaps turned down for extra 'warmth'. It seems the main supply of cap comforters went, not surprisingly, to the regular forces and the HG only seem to have received them towards the middle of the war.

HGs may also have made their own woolen comforts, but the khaki woolen gloves were an official issue - see issue levels in the back of Mills' books for details.

There was an official pattern of home made woollen hat for the home guard and the instructions were handed out in a sort of magazine. You would then get your misses to make it for you. Depends what sort of mood she was in i suppose?... 8)

317th (Airborne) Field Security Section

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 19:58 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Group: Glamorgan Home Guard, AFRA
sjb york wrote:
LEI-12-HG wrote:
sjb york wrote:
Sam

There was an official pattern of home made woollen hat for the home guard and the instructions were handed out in a sort of magazine. You would then get your misses to make it for you. Depends what sort of mood she was in i suppose?... 8)

ha ha like it ... know where your coming from :-)

"LIFE IS GOOD" - Hitcock45

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 14:18 pm 

Turns out that I didn't need to wear the comforter after all: had a lovely weekend in north Norfolk!

Being used to summer events, it made a nice change to march/cycle around in 'winter kit'.

Thanks for the advice, though it'll be a while before I get around to asking my wife to knit a pair of khaki gloves for me, as she's just knitted some blue ones for my RN impression ... ... :-)