WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:52 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Wolverhampton Home Guard
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 23:28 pm 

Group: On Parade & The Law at War
I recently found this photo of my grandfather, Captain Black of the Wolverhampton Home Guard. Unfortunately I don't have any further information regarding as to which area in Wolverhampton it was. Any information is much appreciated.

Another quick question, something struck me as odd. There seems to be a large number of Sergeants and Corporals in comparison to Privates. Was this normal?

Last edited by Westinghouse on Thu Aug 30, 2012 18:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:21 am 

Group: Tay/5 & 1st American Sqdn., Home Guard
Is that a Z Gun behind them? They may the members of a Z battery.

Cheers,
Peter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:53 am 

Cobblers wrote:
Is that a Z Gun behind them? They may the members of a Z battery.

Cheers,
Peter

Ah awesome - I've had to google it but yes it looks like it might well be! I'd initially thought it was some kind of air defence but had never heard of Z-Guns before!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:00 am 

Group: Ponte.H.G. & Brockadale patrol A.U.
Heyup, according to stand down, the only battery in Wolverhamptom was on the racecourse and was part of 25 AA regiment. 137 [101 South Staffs H.G. ] AA Rocket Bty. under Mjr. Leach. Others in the Regiment of 5 were at, Birmingham.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:05 am 
 WWW  Profile

Westinghouse,

The image in your first post doesn't appear for me. Is it still there or is it just me? If appropriate could you repost please? (It sounds as though that was a group image and the picture you posted later, showing two figures and the rocket launcher, is a different one, I assume?)

Thanks.

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 18:34 pm 

Scallywag wrote:
Heyup, according to stand down, the only battery in Wolverhamptom was on the racecourse and was part of 25 AA regiment. 137 [101 South Staffs H.G. ] AA Rocket Bty. under Mjr. Leach. Others in the Regiment of 5 were at, Birmingham.

Ah fantastic - Thankyou for this information! I really appreciate this assistance! The question being - where do I go from here? My knowledge with regards to this is limited. I've had a look at the StaffsHomeGuard website and its section seems to miss out the 25th. Theres one page that talks about Staffordshire being proud of their AA guns but thats about it.

ChrisM wrote:
Westinghouse,

The image in your first post doesn't appear for me. Is it still there or is it just me? If appropriate could you repost please? (It sounds as though that was a group image and the picture you posted later, showing two figures and the rocket launcher, is a different one, I assume?)

Thanks.

Chris

Yeah sorry about that it seems I'd accidentally deleted it when Imgur was playing up the other day. I've sorted it now though - cheers! (I hadn't noticed as the image was still in my cache file and was showing up ok !)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:33 am 
 WWW  Profile

Great picture, thanks, Westinghouse. It looks to me as though they were ALL officers or NCOs (with one possible exception) and so it seems that this was a group not including the many O/Rs also serving in the particular unit.

I'm not sure whether I can give you any pointers on all this but I'll check when I'm back amongst my records in a week or so.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:25 am 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Leicestershire Home Guard Remembrance
V. nice photo: just some extra details:
- The Z projectors are the most common type: the U2P twin rail/twin rocket type.
-Unusual location for the projectors: it maybe where they have been made or stored at a local depot.
-The weather makes it look like a stand down photo of autumn 1944 - however, none of them appear to be wearing service chevrons, so it is pre-February 1944.
-They are all officers and battery Relief NCOs
-Note also how even the CO and some of the other officers are wearing HG ORs leather anklets rather than the regulation officers' webbing anklets: a valuable point to those that always say 'the HG never wore this or that'...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:34 am 

Group: Ponte.H.G. & Brockadale patrol A.U.
Just to add some useless info, they were not allowed to wear the Artillary cap badge nor the white lanyard. [coastal batteries only i believe].

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:25 am 

Group: Tay/5 & 1st American Sqdn., Home Guard
Out of idle curiosity, what would happen if one flouted "regulations"? Did they haul you up before the beak?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 19:40 pm 

Group: AULHS, AFRA
two places I recommend to look for information about Wolverhampton Home Guard (as I live in wolves when not at uni) would be the Wolverhampton Archives at the Molineux Hotel, which hold a lot of records, and the Staffordshire record office, as we were under Staffs at that time.
Hope that helps

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:52 am 
 WWW  Profile

What were your grandfather's initials, Peter?

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 16:35 pm 

Whilst looking through a box of various family medals, I've found a small metal shield shaped plaque engraved with

PRESENTED
-TO-
CAPT J. BLACK
O.C.
No.7 RELIEF
SS 101
>H.G.<

So it confirms, as Scallywag states, the Home Guard (HG) of the 101st South Staffordshire (SS 101), and that Capt Black was Officer Commanding (O.C.). Is there a way of finding more info on "No.7 Relief" ?

Incidentally - home-guard.org.uk lists Major C. Leach as receiving the OBE and lists him as in charge of the 207th Rocket Anti-Aircraft Battery, 104th West Riding Home Guard?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:26 am 
 WWW  Profile

As at February 1941 there is no Black in the Officers' List in a Wolverhampton battalion.

Elsewhere in the Western Command there is a Lt. A.J. Black M.M. in the 9th Monmouthshire (Pontypool) Battn., a Lt. Col. J.A. and a Lt. J.P. in Lancashire battalions.

This probably means that your grandfather came to Wolverhampton from a different part of the country or he did not join the HG until after that date or he was in the Wolverhampton HG but not commissioned until a bit later in the war.

Wolvoblonde's suggestions are good ones. I tried to give a few guidelines some time back for anyone attempting to trace individual HGs. Here: http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/J9GeneralInformationSearchingforMembers.htm (I think it is all still valid but if anyone looking at it can suggest improvements or corrections I should appreciate it!)

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 0:27 am 

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post here to say a massive thankyou to ChrisM.

Chris contacted me a while back about a photo I posted on this forum that was a photo of my Grandfather that I'd found in some old family albums. His interest inspired me to talk to my mother about her father and find out some more information. With a little research I was able to find some basic bits and pieces, and Chris was able to assist with the rest.

Chris' website is - as I'm sure you've all visited it - http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk and is a really great collection of Home Guard information, but what I myself want to plug is this...

http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/Dother ... ptonAA.htm

Its an article about my grandfather that Chris has kindly put up on his site. I'm really pleased that this has come about, and my words can't say what I want to express about this. I was always sort of aware that my grandfather was home guard and his brothers were also military based, but I'd never had the opportunity to ask. This has given me a chance to discover a lot about my family history, and in doing so and putting it online, I hope it is of reference to someone else out there. Without even putting it up on the website - Chris has already been able to identify one of the other people in the Photo! And its for this very reason that I am very keen for it to be out in the public domain.

An example, briefly, is a story my father told about him being a youngster in Northamptonshire during the war. He has vague memories of a Wellington bomber exploding in mid air, late afternoon. However as it happened nearly 70 years ago, he isn't sure if it being struck by lightening was his imagination or memory or what. It was with some research I discovered a semi official Blisworth website. On that site, the owner, a chap called Tony Marsh had uploaded the information gathered by the nephew of a soldier who had worked with RAF Ground Personnel during the war. I know how convoluted and obscure this sounds, but the details that this chap had uploaded, confirmed the date, the place, and the plane details. And whilst it is rather morbid, I was able to tell my dad the date and time and - indeed - confirm that the bomber had been hit by lightening and exploded. It sounds odd but it made him happy to know that he hadn't imagined it. More of a coincidence is that despite happening in Northamptonshire, the 5 RCAF airman who sadly died that day in 1944, their graves are at Brookwood Cemetery - just up the road from us. We are planning to go and pay our respects this weekend.

Anyway - sorry to ramble about that story. But It sort of puts in to context why this information should be shared. Sadly, my mother threw out a lot of ww2 photos of my grandfather at various Home Guard events after the passing of my grandmother, but I hope that in putting the few pics we have out into the public - it may help someone else down the line, no matter how obscure.

I hope Chris wont mind me copy and pasting part of an email he sent to me which I believe sums it up perfectly...

"I think that it is all something worth doing so that the memory of these men is not lost. Could you also tell her, please, that the memory of her father will now be possibly a little more permanent even than she might have thought. The website was archived by the British Library last year and therefore the contents are theoretically preserved in perpetuity for any researcher who, a long time in the future, cares to delve deeply enough. "

Chris would like to thank everyone who has helped him out and provided information. I would also like to thank everyone for their assistance.

Thank you Chris and thank you everyone for reading.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 21:17 pm 

Group: None
Re the original photo: unusual to see HG photographed NOT wearing gaiters! Again a case of never presume they all wore the same/issue kit.