WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 19:50 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:41 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: proud member of the World War 2 Group
Hi,

Does anybody have have any information or photos of the type or armbands worn by the Dutch resistance during OMG in Sptember.

I am putting together a civilian impression for our trip over this September for the 65th commerations.

what I have so fare:

black brouge shoes
black cord trouses
white colorless shirt
black waist coat
black tibly hat

any other help or advice welcomed.

regerds

Mark

Private: Mark Farnworth, 2nd Batt South Staffordshire Reg.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 23:29 pm 

Here a few Dutch who did some volunteer work for the British at Arnhem. Not all of them were members of the resistance. The soldier on the right is a Dutch commando who was attached to the British 1st airborne Div..
One of them told he received a small British flag for identification and an orange armband with in black the word ORANJE (One of the "official" resistance armbands) When he met a Dutch commando he was given a thompson with drum magazine.

The duties of the volunteers: bringing walking wounded to aid posts / hospitals.
Collecting members of the Dutch nazi party. Digging trenches, fox holes. Collecting (mis) dropped suplies. And all kind of work that they were asked for.

This Dutch group, estimated between 15-25 men, most were armed with german rifles, were called "Oranje bataljon = Orange battalion". When the battle started to turn bad their commander (A Dutch naval officer escaped from Colditz hidden in Oosterbeek, went to the Division HQ wen in Hartenstein) decided to disband the group. (Wednesday) Some decided to stay with the British. The next day the British asked for volunteers to try to get to the bridge at Arnhem. These turned in their armbands and all things that could connect them to the British. Even their precious cigarettes!
Six of them tried, with a written message hidden in their shoes, but non of them managed to get further than the area of Elisabeth hospital.
The decision was made to return to Hartenstein but the intense battle prevented this.

Several other Dutch helped unofficially. I have read a story of one who helped a unit as a guide and soldier, was asked to leave when the battle turned bad. He refused and for his own safety was given a British uniform. This also happend to a Dutch women who worked in Hartenstein.

A British soldier kept half of an armband in the colours of the Dutch flag with orange embroided letters the word ORANJE. The other half is buried together with a friend of his now resting in Oosterbeek.

All adults were obliged to carry a PB / persoonsbewijs= identity card.
This card is from a women born and living in a city called Heerlen (code H 40)

A card from a man a village Genemuiden.: The colour of this PB is the colour as it should be.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:46 am 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
Would love to know more about the Dutch woman working at the Hartenstein.

K

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 15:34 pm 

Hello Jimmy E,

I am interested to know your source for your post,

Thanks,

Tobin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:50 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'd also imagine that the ORANJE armbands were "stamped" on the side, like red cross ones (to prove that the person was actually a member of the resistance and not just an opportunist who had just made himself an armband). This is certainly what you see on Belgian resistance ones.

...Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae!
...of all, the Belgians are the bravest!
- Julius Caesar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:24 pm 

There is/was one in Hartenstein Hotel found by Philip Reinders at Kate Ter horst garden, a couple of years ago

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 13:57 pm 

Hi Saw 4 or 5 differnet types in a museum while over in Holland this year will try and find the pics.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 14:21 pm 

found a photograph I took in the museum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:17 am 

Group: None yet.
Rordog95 is correct, the actual Real Dutch resistance wore a blue and orange stripped armband, no official stamp on it, simply the word 'ORANJE' on it, didn't look official at all, later on once the Allies had basically liberated Holland most jumped on the band wagon, then Orange colour armbands were issued, these had official stamps on them.

A very good Dutch military historian told me that even Dutch (German Collaborators) wore the Orange armband to try to avoid being found out. If I were to portray this then go for the Blue / Orange ones in the photos above, much more accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 21:42 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: proud member of the World War 2 Group
Thanks everybody only just seen these being updated.

Private: Mark Farnworth, 2nd Batt South Staffordshire Reg.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 15:14 pm 

Group: AFRA
Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but, why would some of the armbands be post-war?