WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 16:29 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 23:01 pm 
1000+ Poster

Location: Feet up chimney reading new edition of Farmer and Stockbreeder
Cant place the Gable one. (If this is addressed to me). Or is a list of pro-Dutch propoganda films Marloes hasnt seen ? If so we may have to broaden it out to include all occupied countries. How about that bloody awful one with Gene Kelly as a French POW who escapes etc and marches off into the sunset singing the Marseilles with the villagers after they burn their houses so the Boche cant ? Name escapes me - thank goodness.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 23:53 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Group: Netherlands 1940-1945 Study- and Living History gr
NOMAD wrote:
WooooHoooo, ok !ok! im just thinking out allowed but seriously it is a classic film we had another good 1 today “operation Amsterdam” but on a serious note with the quislings how did the resistance survive I mean apart from people you knew who could you trust ? Bri.

Well thats how it worked, you trusted someone and he trusted someone and introduced you.
Sadly thats how many resistance groups were destroyed, people knew each other.
It was tricky but in most cases people sort of knew each other or at least someone in the group knew everybody.
Also of course if you were a known member of the communist party it was easy to be trusted by communist resistance fighters.
But some groups also tested their future agents.
For instance a 17 year old girl (friend of mine) was recruited and to test her they asked her to shoot a german soldier they had taken prisoner.
She shot him but there was no bullet in the chamber and the soldier really was another resistance fighter in a german uniform.

"Never trust people who've only got one book"
Billy Connolly

Contact me for ww2 radio broadcasts and music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 23:57 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

cartoss wrote:
I prefer the one about the shipyard. Think its called the Silver Fleet. About the "Quisling" shipyard owner who isn't. Calls himself Piet Hein (?). 1st Uboat built for the Germans is hi - jacked and sailed to England. The second is blown up on its test voyage with the hero on board. All good stuff. Bet marloes hasnt got this one either.

Hell and doom!
I havent seen it either :cry:

Billy Connolly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 23:59 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

NOMAD wrote:
yep i know it well its got sir ralph richardson in it great film 1943 . have you seen it marloes? how about the scarf you must have seen that one with clark gable??

Yes I have seen that one! (phew!)
But its been years ago, ill be getting that on dvd as well.
Oh damn I forgot, must find rich husband first.

Billy Connolly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:21 am 
Forum Legend
 YIM  Profile

cartoss wrote:
Cant place the Gable one. (If this is addressed to me). Or is a list of pro-Dutch propoganda films Marloes hasnt seen ? If so we may have to broaden it out to include all occupied countries. How about that bloody awful one with Gene Kelly as a French POW who escapes etc and marches off into the sunset singing the Marseilles with the villagers after they burn their houses so the Boche cant ? Name escapes me - thank goodness.

OOOOPs, sorry,folks :oops: i got the title wrong its called betrayed, not the scarf it stared victor mature lana turner and clark gable vivtor mature played a member of the dutch underground who wore a red scarf (1954 coluor)

Id sooner be 20 minutes late in this world than 20 years to soon in the next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 0:20 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Hurrah!
Today I got the dvd and watched the movie.
I rather enjoyed it!
The safety pin sounds believable, there were many different kind of pins people used.
I was rather amazed on how well they turned a area somewhere in England (I asume) into Holland, some of the sights looked very dutch.
I was a bit confused about the way the airmen were welcomed, ive never seen a farm with so many people living in it but they are some sort of religious country folk and I dont understand those anyway ;)
I was impressed with the dutch actors, some were really Dutch, must have been Dutch refugees or something.
Mind you its obviously a early war story because not much later they would have had to reproduce very complicated ID cards to get anywhere.
I enjoyed the movie and it was nice to see how the british moviemakers applauded the Dutch people where they could.

Billy Connolly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:53 pm 
Forum Legend
 YIM  Profile

I’m pleased you liked the film I think its one of the best to come out of war time propaganda type films, mind you I didn’t and hadn’t thought about it until you said it must have been made in England mr thicko here never gave it a thought just assumed it was made on location (did I just admit to thinking like that )duuuur, there’s another good film it’s a bit tong in cheek called betrayed it’s not bad but, operation Amsterdam, with peter finch is really good and I know its only a film but the courage of those people in the resistance is something to be praised, I for one wouldn’t like to operate with a group any bigger than 4 people because of the quislings and at the end of the day who could you trust ? bri..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:15 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

another movie ill hunt down!

BTw most groups worked on the system on never knowing more then a few of the other people in the group and mostly knowing them by a (false) name.
Also when arrested you were expected to at least not tell anything for 24 hours, they were realistic enough to know that the SD could make a lot of people talk but by asking them to hang on for a day or so they knew most would succeed in at least achieving that.
The group then had 24 hours to clean up, hide people, etc.
But only if they knew the person was arrested!

Billy Connolly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:33 am 
1000+ Poster

Quote:
I’m pleased you liked the film I think its one of the best to come out of war time propaganda type films, mind you I didn’t and hadn’t thought about it until you said it must have been made in England mr thicko here never gave it a thought just assumed it was made on location
When I watch this type of film I usually go "cart horse anorak" and shout at the telly. English style harness and Shires/ Suffolk Punches in columns of refugees. A prime example is the "Foreman went to France". At least it helps to narrow down where it was filmed. Once you get your eye in you can place the County at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:58 am 
Forum Legend
 YIM  Profile

You have a good point there cartoss if its your hobby do tend to find fault with war films , but the film the captive heart was filmed at Marlag Marlag in 1946 whilst the camp was still in good shape I have a keen interest in pow films ,when you look at the film the wooden horse the pow’s are to fat for pow’s ,now the TV film about Anne Frank shown on the biography channel a while back had good makeup they made Anne go from a young girl to a thin relic in months for the film,Brian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 15:50 pm 
1000+ Poster

Wooden horse is very good, very dark and brooding atmosphere throughout.

Post subject: safety pins
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 21:22 pm 
 WWW  Profile

hello at a memorial at Hundson airfield this year our group met a lovely old lady who had been part of the french resistance, she was at the airfield as she knew many of the mosquito crews and she had lbeen part of resistance force on the ground of the Amien gestapo prison raid. Any way she still wore her safety pins and told the assembled group about them the number of pins said what area of resistance you worked in
railways etc, and if the head of the pin was up you had a message to pass on and if down you were waiting for a message and one up and one down was you could take and give a message. i dont know the complete story but a friend spent a long time with this lady .hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 22:53 pm 
Forum Legend
 YIM  Profile

very interesting thanks for sharing that every bit helps ,Brian..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 15:16 pm 

We all know that Airbus, Falcon and other aircraft manufacturers in Europe is already quite strong. In the U.S., we make the most of commercial aircraft, but we do not allow all the components in the United States. One of the biggest outsourcing company for general aviation aircraft in Mexico.