WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 0:35 am

Post subject: Searching Ebay
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 22:37 pm 
2000+ Poster

Chatting aound the camp fire, as you do, talk got around to finding stuff on ebay. Some folks dont know how to save Searches so I volunteered to write a tutorial.

If you enter something into the search text box on Ebay you are shown the results as a list showing all the results. You may end up with lots of superfluous garbage that you have to sort through. For the purpose of this tutorial the examples I will use are my medal collecting searches.

Basic search
You can search using 2 words but if you want to find something specific
with 2 words for example Atlantic Star you will get everything that has these 2 words in the title and description.

Atlantic Star

Phase searches
You can force the search to search for a phrase using quote marks:

"Atlantic Star"

Omiting certain words
I only collect original medals so I want to omit the words replica, copy and replacement. You can use the - minus sign.

"Atlantic Star" -copy -replica -replacement

Once you see this list you may want to omit certain results that keep cropping up. surprisingly, Karaoke occurs a few times so we add -karaoke to the search list.

"Atlantic Star" -copy -replica -replacement -karaoke

Keep adding phrases or words to omit items until you are happy. Be aware though that by using this feature you may omit results with text similar to "this is not a copy" which may be the medal you are looking for.

the OR feature
When you add 2 words or phrases to a search box you will get results with all of these in the search (logical AND) Find this AND this. Sometimes you may want to search for something that may have a common abbreviation or be known by 2 or more different names. The Campaign Service Medal is also known as the CSM. We can combine these phrases into one seach by enclosing the options in paranthesis (brackets) and separating the search terms using a comma.

(CSM,"Campaign Service Medal")

by adding the clasps awarded to this medal you can get exact hits of this specific medal

(CSM,"Campaign Service Medal")(south arabia,kurdistan,cyprus,lebanon,dhofar,borneo,malay,radfan)

Once you are happy with your search, you may save it in a list of searches that you access through "MY EBAY". You also get the option of being emailed daily with a list of the new items that have been added in the previous 24 hours, using your searh, very useful if you are looking for something specific that doesnt appear on ebay all that often. Click the "Save this search" option.

CSM "Are those your best boots corporal?"
Cpl "No sir, I have no favorites"

You want it when? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 17:24 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: FRAU
Another thing not sure if people know is that if you're looking for something in a time bracket you can use a star as the last digit. Say you wanted to look for something from the 1930s and had looked unsuccessfully rather than go through 1930, 1931 1932 etc seperately you can just put 193* and it will bring up all things that don't have the s on the end in the title or description

The highest form of flattery is imitation...... allegedly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 13:33 pm 

Group: Northern Forties
Not being a know all here but the star is refered to as a "Wild Card" so if in future you are doing some computer work and you see "Wild card" you know what it means.

i.e.

delete *.* when in DOS

on a PC belong to someone you dont like can bring such joy!!!!!

Click Here For:- Reproduction Paperwork.. Tobacco & Cigarette Packs.

"Northern Forties Re-enactors Group"

Post subject: Re: Searching Ebay
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:28 am 

The "Advanced Search" is also quite good now that ebay have been fiddling with things.

You can set the options to show items in ebay sellers shops which do not show in a normal search, and you can also include EU countries or the USA, or Worldwide.
Another trick is to go to the Home Page, scroll to the bottom and click on another country and look directly on say German ebay or Spanish ebay but you really need to know the German or Spanish word for the item you are looking for.

=================================================

Since writing the above, I believe that ebay are in the process of changing thier search system and that items in sellers "shop" will be show in a normal search.

Last edited by dishmop on Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:53 am 

Another little gem regarding ebay when using Paypal.

Did you know that if you sell something on ebay and accept payment via Paypal that you are supposed to send the item using some form of signed for delivery which has a tracking number??

All the blurb you see in adverts such as "I am not responsible for items lost in the post, I obtain a Proof of Posting Receipt" and
" Signed for delivery will cost extra" etc etc, means nothing in the eyes of Paypal.

Their rules are that if a buyer says he didnt get what he bought and contacts Paypal, they will contact the seller and ask for the tracking number. If the seller cannot provide this number then Paypal will tell the seller that they will have to refund the buyer.

Proof of Posting is what the seller has to use if making an insurance claim.
So, if you post something valuable, pay the extra for the signed for delivery, otherwise the buyer could say they didnt get the package and you cannot prove that they did.

Seems very unfair that with a receipt that you can prove that you posted it but that Paypal says "Tough, but that doesnt prove that the buyer go it though"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:03 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA, by far the most flexible way to re-enact
It does seem unfair. It makes the seller responsible for the poor performance of the postal services.
Still, it's one of those things, you know the score, or should, when you sell on e-bay. You dont pay the extra for a signed for service, the buyer does, so there is no real excuse.

Sean Tighe

Stigroadie@aol.com
http://www.afra.org.uk/

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:18 am 

dink wrote:
Another thing not sure if people know is that if you're looking for something in a time bracket you can use a star as the last digit. Say you wanted to look for something from the 1930s and had looked unsuccessfully rather than go through 1930, 1931 1932 etc seperately you can just put 193* and it will bring up all things that don't have the s on the end in the title or description

Miss-spelling a description sometimes bring up a large choice of options you may not have considered, as well as using singular instead of plural and vice versa. Similar to Ding's 1930/s reference.
i.e.
"Coats" will find somebody who has more than one coat for sale in one ad.

"Coat" will find only one coat for sale in an ad.

Also, remember to always look at "See sellers other items"

Last edited by dishmop on Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:23 am 

Quote:
It does seem unfair. It makes the seller responsible for the poor performance of the postal services

Not to mention a buyers possible dishonesty!!!

I myself cant complain about the performance of the PO as a Poster. I find that as long as I dont leave posting too late in the day, my packages are usualy there the next day.
I even had a normal "small package" arrive before a guaranteed next day before noon delivery which cost the buyer an extra few £'s

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:45 am 
http://www.power-buys.com/spelling.php

eBay Misspelling Tool
Did you know that everyday there are hundreds of eBay auctions that have misspelled words in the titles and descriptions? Auctions with misspelled information do not come up on the regular eBay search, so often these auctions have no bids and can be scooped up at a bargain price. This means you can profit by finding these misspelled auctions before anyone else does!
You can find these misspelled auctions by using our free eBay Misspelling Tool. Just enter a keyword and the tool will search eBay for matches for you.

For example, typing in the word "diamond" will return dozens of misspellings of the word on eBay that may mean profit for you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:06 am 

Paypal says:.. Quote.

The vast majority of eBay buyers receive their items quickly and smoothly. However, if you don't receive your item or if it arrives significantly not as described, then you can receive the full value of your purchase (including postage) back when you pay with PayPal.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 20:39 pm 
1000+ Poster

Location: with don-10 under my finger nails and black & tan around my feet.
Group: 85th Gebirgsjager
Oi!! Quite giving over all my epay tricks :lol: :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5121552.stm

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson, Quoting Cesare Beccaria. 1809

------------------------------------------
"The 39-45 Society"
Trinity Pyrotechnics. http://www.trinityfx.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 16:52 pm 

I like the ones who write reams and reams of guff about condition of sale etc and include thier bit about "proof of posting" and how theu are not responsible if it gets lost, and ask you to pay extra for recorded delivery.