WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 16:40 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 19:09 pm 

I came across this on another forum, what do you think of it.

Prior to the current legislation, nothing was required to be done to the magazine fitting on rifles. This has now changed. If a rifle has a detachable magazine the law states that the magazine must be welded with spots to the frame to prevent it's removal. There is, however, a way around this to allow a detachable magazine. A pin can be welded across the magazine well and the magazine slotted to allow insertion and removal. Link to Deactivated Firearms: Implementing Regulation: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -component

Gerwyn

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 19:30 pm 

interesting that section 9.1 refers to mussle loaders so it appears the new regs affect more than just "modern weapons"

9. Muzzle loading 9.1 Remove or weld the nipple(s), weld the hole(s).

Private When i said there was a camel close by for you to ride i meant you could ride it into town !!!!!!!!!

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

http://vietnamreenactors.myfastforum.org

http://vietnamuk.moonfruit.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 20:10 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
Yes .. interesting ... has the UK law on antique weapons changed then .. or does this EU directive supersede that ??

Basically any muzzle loader, flintlock or percussion, made before 1949 is (was ??) classed as antique and does not require an FAC ... it seems the reason for this was because percussion muzzle loaders were still being made as trade items up to 1949 .. !!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 20:28 pm 

it certainly appears that this new law supersedes the antiques firearms section but ive never seen anything to that effect, also since there is no date cut off for when weapons do not have to be deactivated to the new standard i believe we must assume ALL weapons right back to the first firearms are covered by them.

The frightening thing is that even a firearms officer will not be able to tell if the law has been complied with as everything will be welded up therefor internals will not be able to be seen, this in effect will probly mean deacts being taken away for forensic examination which inevitably will mean cutting the weapon in several places (isnt that how they destroy them anyway) i doubt forensics will repair the deact before returning even if they do comply with the new regs therefor people will i suspect have a load of cut pieces returned to them after examination

Private When i said there was a camel close by for you to ride i meant you could ride it into town !!!!!!!!!

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 20:48 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

The whole thing is just one major snafu ... typical EU stupid bureaucracy, right up there with square tomatoes and straight bananas .... It hasn't been thought through in a serious or sensible way at all ... it would be nice to think that the reference to muzzle loaders is about modern made repros, after all technically an antique muzzle loader doesn't need a certificate and has no need of being de-activated to own freely.
It isn't clear at all how this rule on de-acts effects existing UK legislation ... what about obsolete caliber for example ... or shouldn't I bring that up ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 20:50 pm 

as you say its just not clear the inference is that all muzzle loaders have to be deactivated as per the guidlines because it doesnt say otherwise i guess a court case only would sort it out

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 20:59 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Essentially Im guessing that the new EU directive on de-acts will only apply to a weapon that requires a certificate and that someone wants to own without a certificate, hence it needs to be de-acted to the new standard, that and of course if you want to sell/transfer/bequeath etc a de-act you own and that does not meet the new spec.

I cant see where a law specifically relating to de-activated weapons can apply elsewhere in firearms legislation, in fact it cant in reality as where a weapon is, shall we say 'freely', available without a certificate, ie; antique or obsolete caliber, then the EU de-act directive does not apply and we can still own them, buy and sell them.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 21:20 pm 
3000+ Poster

dcdl12976 wrote:
interesting that section 9.1 refers to mussle loaders so it appears the new regs affect more than just "modern weapons"

If you have an antique on licence (And I do) it Can t just disappear back to being an antique.

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 21:24 pm 
3000+ Poster

Correspondent wrote:
Essentially Im guessing that the new EU directive on de-acts will only apply to a weapon that requires a certificate and that someone wants to own without a certificate, hence it needs to be de-acted to the new standard, that and of course if you want to sell/transfer/bequeath etc a de-act you own and that does not meet the new spec.

I cant see where a law specifically relating to de-activated weapons can apply elsewhere in firearms legislation, in fact it cant in reality as where a weapon is, shall we say 'freely', available without a certificate, ie; antique or obsolete caliber, then the EU de-act directive does not apply and we can still own them, buy and sell them.

I'm try to work out which firearms can be owned without a certificate?

It's probably my fault for not staying up to date on how this site thinks

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 21:30 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Antique for one thing ... still fully functional ... obsolete caliber for another .. still fully functional .... and still firearms in reality, if not under the definition of a firearm as stated in law.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 21:48 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

lordduvet wrote:
dcdl12976 wrote:

If you have an antique on licence (And I do) it Can t just disappear back to being an antique.

Yes of course ... if you have an antique and want to use it on a range etc. then it needs to be on licence.... if you only want to own and not use it, then you don't need a licence...
... and once on licence, then yes again, it is hard to get it off that licence unless you get it de-activated.... which brings us back to square one I think .. !!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 22:36 pm 
3000+ Poster

Correspondent wrote:
Antique for one thing ... still fully functional ... obsolete caliber for another .. still fully functional .... and still firearms in reality, if not under the definition of a firearm as stated in law.

oh i had just assumed not any more once the inevitable law changes

(No)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 22:53 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Inevitable .. possibly, but not so far ... there has been no mention of antique or obsolete caliber weapons in the EU directives I think, I'm not sure about the UK Laws and changes, but once again and possibly, probably even, like de-acts and BF's .. what we already own we may be allowed to keep ... maybe ... whatever, you can bet it will be as ill thought out as all the rest of it has been.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 21:15 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A humble militaria collector at your service
A thought that just occurred to me...

Where do the deactivated Bren barrels sold by World Wide Arms some years back fit into this new law? The wording just refers to 'weapons' - it doesn't mention components.

Give the brightest light.
Safe in your place deep in the earth
That's when they'll know what you were really worth.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 15:02 pm 
3000+ Poster

peregrinvs wrote:
A thought that just occurred to me...

Where do the deactivated Bren barrels sold by World Wide Arms some years back fit into this new law? The wording just refers to 'weapons' - it doesn't mention components.

depends on the comonent

(No)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 22:22 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Isn't it actually something of a mute point in as much as the new spec says that there are to be no moving or replaceable parts ... ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next