WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:19 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 19:12 pm 
3000+ Poster

BarnacleBill wrote:
One can only hope that as per the VCRA re-enactors will get some defense against the legislation. But there won't be any breath holding from this callsign.

Well you get the defence from the legislation by campaigning that you aren't a bunch of mad gun nuts who want to have open carry heavy machine guns

Have you considered writing to all the MPs MEPs etc. pointing out the damage that this will cause to the heritage industry which is a bunch of people who have guns and no bullets? Or the film industry ........ how are you going to film James Bond films or Fury II

The proposals are crying out for people to get amendments - you just wont get a defence or amendments by trying to have the whole thing thrown out.

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:25 am 

Group: East Yorkshire Regiment LHG
So far the only thing that looks to have come into law is new deactivation standards from late April. Having read these they seem virtually the same as current new spec except that magazines need to be welded into the receiver- or if there is no magazine on the weapon then the magazine housing needs to be blocked so a magazine can't be fitted. The big change is that if you sell or pass on an old spec deac you have to have it brought up to the new regs at your own expense beforehand (wiping hundreds off its value at the same time). It's not clear if the same applies to post 95 deacs and welding mags in, but I would expect so. If you already have deacs you can hang on to them as they are.
Dealers are not happy at the changes as it's going to cost them thousands and I can't see it being enforceable- old specs will just change hands on the quiet and people will just claim they had owned them since before the changes came in. Of cause this is a moving feast and they might bring new legislation in in six months banning all deacs- who can say? Our hobby is definitely on the back foot at the moment though!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:53 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: Stars and Stripes LHG
If they ban them they will have to pay full compensation otherwise many deacts will disappear overnight just as semi auto, pump action shotguns and converted shotguns did when they restricted them and banned them in 1987. This is just the start of things to come, once Europe passes this law helped on by our so-called government many more will come especially when it concerns military equipment, at the flick of a pen they could easily consider military vehicles, uniforms radios etc anything green they "MAY THINK" the jihadist may use against us. Also ban and restrict things we use and do, that the great EU frown upon us using, using the fight against terrorism as an excuse to achieve their adjender. Anyone up for a game of tiddly winks before they ban them as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 19:00 pm 
Supporter

Group: Wehrhafte Schweiz Infanterie Grenz Schutz Verband
This country has far more in common with the Swiss, than this EU chimera. A vote to eschew the course of homogenisation, is now looking increasingly likely.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 21:03 pm 
3000+ Poster

you really think that the whole the country is going to decide on EU membership solely so a bunch of weirdos in funny clothes can own gun shaped toys with moving bits?

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 21:24 pm 
Supporter

Purely coincidental, but timely and opportune, none the less. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:07 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Given the history of UK firearms law vs continental firearms law, you'd probably be better off taking your chances with those dirty foreigners.

BTW I heard a funny thought from one of my friends, he actually believed that the new proposals were going to mean a maximum standard, rather than a minimum one.

He thought that pistols were about to become legal in the UK.

Dream on!

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:34 pm 

Even if we come out of the EU we will still be governed by EU law , If any new laws are passed which will affect the UK will there be compensation pay outs which would run to millions of pounds out of the taxpayers pocket?
From what I have heard all deacts will have to be re-examined at £75 a pop , for those of you carrying bolt action rifles the easiest option would be to get a firearms certificate and get a live firing rifle for reenacting use as a condition of owning it . illogical as it is , to then allow more live firing weapons into the hands of the public .
As we know the pistol , semiautomatic rifle and high capacity magazine section 2 shotgun bans over the years did absolutely nothing to reduce gun crime .
But as we know there is no logic when it comes to politicians trying to win votes .

Rob

Rob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 14:08 pm 
Supporter

If we leave, we'd get our own sovereignty back, EU will be irrelevant, so far, as internal matters

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 19:14 pm 
3000+ Poster

RobinDBanks wrote:
Even if we come out of the EU we will still be governed by EU law , If any new laws are passed which will affect the UK will there be compensation pay outs which would run to millions of pounds out of the taxpayers pocket?
From what I have heard all deacts will have to be re-examined at £75 a pop , for those of you carrying bolt action rifles the easiest option would be to get a firearms certificate and get a live firing rifle for reenacting use as a condition of owning it . illogical as it is , to then allow more live firing weapons into the hands of the public .
As we know the pistol , semiautomatic rifle and high capacity magazine section 2 shotgun bans over the years did absolutely nothing to reduce gun crime .
But as we know there is no logic when it comes to politicians trying to win votes .

Rob

Rob

what youve heard is wrong

(No)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 15:06 pm 
3000+ Poster

Location: Trying to work out why the GPO has the guns pointing the wrong way
Group: Garrison
well who represented our interests at the meeting with the Chair of the EU comittee of Firearms yesterday?

Pte Pat Cleary ANZACS

Heard on VHF gunner net in Borneo in 1960's
US Accent: Unknown call sign this is USAF over North Veitnam clear this frequencey we're fighting a war here
UK Accent: USAF funnily enough so are we.....but we're winning ours!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 16:29 pm 
4000+ Poster

I don't know who it was, but there was definitely a reenactment component to the meeting with Vicky Ford MEP. One of my friends was there talking about the deactivated gun trade and clearly he will have had something to say too.

I'm still waiting the minutes to be published. I guess at the top of those will be the attendees list.

I made a submission via email.

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 22:19 pm 
Supporter

Fortunately , deactivated guns were well represented by Jip McTavish, and Vicky Ford, chair, is pro reenactment. There was NO reenactment representative. Wake up guys n gals. No bloody NARes. Even the Ulster Unionists were there. Jip could do with all the help he can get. Richard Knight had done an interview for BBC look east What are the major groups going to do.?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:49 am 
4000+ Poster

Hmmm that wasn't what Vicky Ford herself said...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:58 am 
Supporter

There's a copy of the attendees list on facebook. Unless someone was there in two capacities, but only listed for one. Apparently, no NARES, that's shocking, if correct. WW1/2 groups would need to reconsider affilation.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:01 am 
4000+ Poster

Your own representative body which corrects the faults found in all of the others didn't attend?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next