WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 16:48 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:47 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Summer of 44 LHG, 1st Airlanding Light Regt RA
Guess it will be kitchen knives next then ?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20071212/ ... 408_1.html

Tim

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 13:05 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

personally - cheap tacky replicas? I HOPE SO!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 13:07 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
A few less stalls at my local Car Boot sale then.....

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 13:44 pm 
1000+ Poster

Location: with don-10 under my finger nails and black & tan around my feet.
Group: 85th Gebirgsjager
Yet another easy hit! More people get stabbed up with a pint glass in a pub. Banning them are they? Flippin don't think so! TBH I have little interest in samuri sword but........

I have just about had enough of this crappy PC, bad law ridden, nanny state, H&S, cotton wool, CCTV blighted piece of shyte of a excuse for MY BLOODY COUNTRY!!!! Which I love dearly and served for.

What the frell are these G-damned politicians doing to us! We elected them so they could stand on our shoulders to get a better look. Not stamp on our civil liberties and shackle us at will...... Grrrrr.

Sorry, just had a little moment then. Abnormal service will be resumed after I've had a coffee and calmed down.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5121552.stm

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson, Quoting Cesare Beccaria. 1809

------------------------------------------
"The 39-45 Society"
Trinity Pyrotechnics. http://www.trinityfx.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 14:13 pm 
4000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

lol i like it-they say their not common but used in signifigant crimes. soooooo remove them and hey presto their doing somthing!! moral of the story-use a common knife to do the job and its ok because it wont be in the papers/tv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 14:16 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Group: Glamorgan Home Guard, AFRA
Attended a course to be a NSRA approved Air Rifle coach, to young people, you know Scouts, Guides etc.

The Trainer was an Ex-Para, the first thing he did was line up an example of every projectile down from 50cal, to .177 pellet and also a variety of knives from Sykes FB, to humble kitchen knife. His first question (and I guess many of you are ahead of me already) was which of theses is responsible for the most deaths in the UK. . . . .

Yes the Kitchen Knife, so Avenger you do have a point. I mean after all why would any sane woman want such a deadly device hanging around her kitchen, when she can purchase sliced bread in her local supermarket :shock: But, provided she can prove a need for it, like carving the weekend joint and she is a member of a recognised cookery club, then she can still buy them, provided it is a face to face sale.

"LIFE IS GOOD" - Hitcock45

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 14:44 pm 
Supporter

Group: MVT -
PanzerGrenadier wrote:

I couldn't agree more, but the definition is not that focussed,

(2) For the purposes of this section, the term "samurai sword" shall mean a
thrusting, striking or cutting weapon with a blade of 30cm or more
which is curved to any degree, having one sharpened edge capable of
inflicting a cut of any description on a person and having a hilt or a
handle.

On the face of it, this would also include other items such as cavalry sabres, and even a military pattern khukri.

I can't find the exclusions listed online. If anyone has a link to them it would be useful to know the defence that can be used. In particular to answer questions such as, can a reenactor purchase a WW2 pattern khukri with a 13 inch blade for wear as part of a Burma portrayal? or can a reenactor purchase a cavalry sabre for portraying a Napoleonic or ACW cavalryman?

And as for the companies that make the cheap tacky replicas, it appears that they just need to sharpen the back of the blade so that it is double edged, and it remains legal for them to sell their crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 15:17 pm 

Reccegeorge,

the news only gave as an exclusion "for those attending martial arts clubs like this they are ok, but if you intend on buying you will have to prove association".

The annoying thing about this report, is that the piblic will associate it with the banning of "Samurai" swords, as most of us envision them, but do not point out it includes long swords, sabres, cutlasses and as you have staed the Kukri.

This is just another news announcement, through the Government, trying to cover something worse up. Trust me, i said this about the RIF issue and the press caught on they had lost 25 Mil records.

Divert the public attention, give them something else to worry about and all is rosey in the Government world.

Sorry for sounding so cynical, but it as OG said, "more deaths are from a kitchen knife".

jh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 15:20 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Before the ban takes effect - Does anyone want to buy my ORIGINAL and genuine WWII Japanese NCO sword? Green metal sheath, brass fittings, unsharpened blade........ :shock:
Condition - Not great...... in fact original........

photos on request!!!! :lol: :lol:

VCR act applies..... (what VCR act?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 16:00 pm 
1000+ Poster

Location: with don-10 under my finger nails and black & tan around my feet.
Group: 85th Gebirgsjager
Reccegeorge wrote:
PanzerGrenadier wrote:

(2) For the purposes of this section, the term "samurai sword" shall mean a
thrusting, striking or cutting weapon with a blade of 30cm or more
handle.

On the face of it, this would also include other items such as cavalry sabres, and even a military pattern khukri.

I can't find the exclusions listed online. If anyone has a link to them it would be useful to know the defence that can be used. In particular to answer questions such as, can a reenactor purchase a WW2 pattern khukri with a 13 inch blade for wear as part of a Burma portrayal? or can a reenactor purchase a cavalry sabre for portraying a Napoleonic or ACW cavalryman?

And as for the companies that make the cheap tacky replicas, it appears that they just need to sharpen the back of the blade so that it is double edged, and it remains legal for them to sell their crap.

So according to that a 1892 pattern cavalry sabre is a no-no but a double edged medieval great sword is fine. Well, that makes a huge amount of sense then doesn't it!

I am so glad we have such a well informed and intelligent government who put these well written and specific bills together and only have our best interests to heart and have no interest in self advancement..... and yes, that was sarcasm!

Unbefcukingleivable!

Just thought... In the part where they say... "For the purposes of this section, the term "samurai sword" shall mean...." etc why didn't they also include the words "Oriental style"? I'll tell you why because that would have restricted the underhanded catch-all nature of this bill.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5121552.stm

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson, Quoting Cesare Beccaria. 1809

------------------------------------------
"The 39-45 Society"
Trinity Pyrotechnics. http://www.trinityfx.co.uk

Last edited by BarnacleBill on Wed Dec 12, 2007 16:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 16:08 pm 
2000+ Poster

Group: WARS
Will it be a case of ban replica swords but original ones are ok. Or will it be a case of start off with replica swords and then move onto original ones.
If im correct NAReS have been working on to get reenactors excluded on this.

Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

http://www.wars-online.moonfruit.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 16:16 pm 

BarnacleBill,

first time i have read one of your posts, and i am so glad to see someone else who can see the farcical nature of this ban. A double edged blade that will cut up, as well as down is OK, one way BAD.

Where as the Generation Game" (i'm showing my age now) promoted fun, this overnment promotes hysteria and panic.

jh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 21:15 pm 
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Group: WW2 Living History Association Ltd www.ww2lha.com
Jon Das Reich wrote:
Will it be a case of ban replica swords but original ones are ok. Or will it be a case of start off with replica swords and then move onto original ones.
If im correct NAReS have been working on to get reenactors excluded on this.

Yes NAReS have made representations to the appropriate Departments and individuals - the 'pointy stick' brigade make up a large amount of membership and they've been following this carefully for some time, just as they are the European firearms legislation changes that will come into force next year.

Dave

LHA members

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 21:25 pm 
2000+ Poster

Reccegeorge wrote:

(2) For the purposes of this section, the term "samurai sword" shall mean a thrusting, striking or cutting weapon with a blade of 30cm or more
handle.

Even more farcacly, a 1796 pattern Heavy Cavalry Sabre and a Line Infantry officer sword would be exempt because it is straight and not curved. The Light Infantry and Light Cavalry sabres would be because they are curved.

I have a 1796 pattern Hy Cav sword for my 1st LifeGuards kit. Not only is it a straight blade (exempt by definition) but was manufactured without an edge (also exempt by definition), specifically to use as a legal defense.

CSM "Are those your best boots corporal?"
Cpl "No sir, I have no favorites"

You want it when? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 22:11 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: WW2 JRA
all the news reports i've seen on this mention that genuine historical pieces are exempt from this, so it seems they are going after the cheap s**t which gets my full support
Afterall none of the crimes that have involved a samurai sword have imvolved a genuine sword worth many thousands of pounds, and the fact that alot of sword collectors have more than enoughmoney and influenece to make sure there not effected by any goverment legislation.

Paul you said you were going to show me some photos of your sword, that was the best part of 3 years ago, had any luck with them yet?

Japanese Reenactors forum http://z13.invisionfree.com/IJA_Reenacting/index.php?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 22:20 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

It wont' sit still!!!!

Reccegeorge wants to see it too.....

I warn you - it's not pretty..... I'll sort something....... :roll: