WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 14:42 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:07 am 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

I am by no means an expert (to break down the definition of an expert - Ex means former and a spurt is a little jet of liquid!)
But I have championed the acquisition of proper valid PLI for years. Back when lots of groups didn't even realise they needed it our merry bunch bit the bullet and got it. Long Established outfits had it..... many never bothered.

Today we live in a litigious society and need to safeguard ourselves as much as possible. The Health and Safety Culture prevails and our right to do this and that is being slowly eroded (along with our Civil Liberites but that's another tin of pilchards altogether)

Therefore whilst it is not compulsory to have Insurance (Let's get that straight at the outset) it is beneficial.

You can get insurance as an individual but it is expensive. I would recommend joining a group or society or an Association to share the cost.
In order to get insurance your club must be properly formed. It must have a constitution, a set of rules and a committee. You must hold regular meetings and maintain a set of books to show you are a bunch of responsible people. You then contact an insurance broker and have a chat.

Broker will usually ask about your club, how many events a year it does/attends, how many members you have and whether or not you use firearms/vehicles/unicycles/flaming torches etc You will then establish the type of cover you want and a quote will be sent out. For the average group of 20-30 souls covering up tp 15 events a year, insurance will vary from a few hunderd pounds to as much as a thousand depending on the type and amount of cover you want0/require/can afford.

All groups ought to have Third Party Public Liability Insurance of at least 5 million pounds. Why? Because if you are holding a display or walking about amongst the public and you injure one of them (Let's not do the details) then you could be liable..... and it's so easy.

Advisable is Theft. Up to a limit and subject to conditions, you can purchase insurance against theft of yours and the group's equipment under varying circumstances.
These could be:

From a display
Whilst in transit to/from a show
In Storage
At Home
In UK
Outside UK

Also advisable is Damage both to your property and to others.
Again, subject to conditions and limits you can purchase cover for Accidental damage to property at events.

You can purchase insurance for using firearms and pyrotechnics.

You can purchase insurance to use vehicles as part of your display.

These are the basics and whilst running into several hundred pounds, will give you both peace of mind and security should something go wrong.

Connected closely to insurance is the need to minimise risk. It's simply not enough to buy a policy and go off into the blue. You have to undertake cerain measures in order to demonstrate that you are effectively looking to minimise the eventuality of an incident. If something happens, you can bet your life someone will ask if you assessed the risk prior to carrying out whatever it was that went wrong. IF you can produce a written Risk Assessment, done before the event and covering the activity.... then you can demonstrate that you were following its recommendations..... you stand a chance of a claim. If on the other hand you simply shrug your shoulders and say - "Well we've done it loads of times before and his arm never came off!" Bluntly - You're fcuked!

You should, prior to an event, sit and look at what you aim to do. You should plan and make a written statement of your method. A Method Report. This is your template for the event and can be a simple affair or - if you do the same thing at all events, a standard document which you edit with the time, date and venue and any special features unique to that location. Doesn't take long and let's face it - you spend enough time prattling about on here - what's five minutes on the computer gonna spoil?

Back to the Risk Assessment. When considering an event. Look at the activities you plan to engage in. Look at the risks to yourselves, other re-enactors and the public. Write them down and come up with sensible practical measures to minimise or eradicate them. Take that document with you. Ensure your group sees both the Method Report and the Risk Assessment and they stick to it.

It's sad that we have come to this in re-enactment which was after all quite a free form hobby in the past. But like it or not - it's here and it imposes on what we do. Best just coping with it and assimilating it. Can't ignore it for ever.

If costs are prohibitive - more and more groups are forming associations where they sit together under a common "umberella" (Although this is wrong because insurers won't cover "umberella groups"). When a large society is formed the members are better able to cover the price of insurance. As these get bigger, people come together and work more closely. This can improve what we do. It may eventually help to break down the barriers of prejudice and elitism. It might even stabilise the "standards" so many talk of. So it can't be all bad can it?
With "supergroups" though comes a whole new set of problems - we won't go into them here as this is about Insurance..... I hope this has been informative and helpful. If I can assist anyone in any way then please PM me. I'll do my best. I won't plug AFRA but I will say - take a look at what it is doing. It's mixing some old trad ideas with some new radical ones and achieving results. it is bringing people together (admittedly only Axis at present) and it is providing more for show organisers, other groups and re-enactors themselves.
(s**t! I just plugged AFRA didn't I?) :oops:

Well - what did you expect - When have I EVER been brief? :lol:

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:10 am 

Group: 2nd Armored in Europe
Thanks Paul.

I'm going to make this a stickie so it remains at the top of the section as reference for all.

Cheers,
Glen.

Look Out Below! : http://www.look-out-below.co.uk/

"The only thing stopping you, is you"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:16 am 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

NP Glen
Then there's "Funding Your Insurance" :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 0:17 am 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Without prompting also
Can I just put forward a case as to WHY you SHOULD have your own insurance?
By law an event organiser must have their own insurance. Indeed this will cover you for most eventualities. BUT....

If you or one of your group injures say, a MOP.... said MOP will probably claim in the first instance from the organiser or the venue....

Who will in turn more than likely (under advisement from their incredibly expensive lawyer) look to you/your group to recover part or all of their costs.........

So next time some bright spark says
"You don't have to have insurance (true) because the organiser should have it and that covers you(also true)" then this is the thought that should pop into your head.

It's called belt and braces.....

tune in next week for more handy Insurance tips and terpitudes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:06 am 

Group: 4th Dorsets Living History Group
Hi,

An interesting guide.

What insurance companies provide the necessary insurance?

Is it possible to list the companies used by various groups so that newbies can start making the necessary enquiries?

Cheers

Assume nothing!
Believe no one!
Check everything!

Private "Duce"
"C" Company
4th Dorsets
130 Infantry Brigade
43rd Wessex Wyvern Division

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 16:09 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

garibaldino wrote:
Hi,

An interesting guide.

What insurance companies provide the necessary insurance?

Is it possible to list the companies used by various groups so that newbies can start making the necessary enquiries?

Cheers

Strange garibaldino
I leave it a day or so and NO ONE comes back to you - Which goes right back to TTB's "keeping it Mum" theory...

If you want to discuss GOOD Comprehensive Insurance with a person who KNOWS - PM John Hughes on this forum - He is AFRA's Insurer and I believe WARS. He also covers other groups etc. on here - Look in your PM box too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 16:15 pm 

Group: 4th Dorsets Living History Group
Hi PG,

Thanks for the reply, I've opened another post which Feldjager(Dave) has made a sticky, hopefully it'll get the ball rolling.

Cheers,

Pete

Assume nothing!
Believe no one!
Check everything!

Private "Duce"
"C" Company
4th Dorsets
130 Infantry Brigade
43rd Wessex Wyvern Division