WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 0:05 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 0:15 am 

I kind of agree with the previous statement. Don't lend out your firearms unless you are there to supervise. It's illegal. I also tend to take mine to the khazi with me. Inside. I may leave some of my kit outside but the firearm comes with me. At night, if I can't lock it up, I sleep with it. Leaving it with someone else is just bad drills. It cost the Prince of Wales the sword of honour, if I remember correctly.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 0:22 am 

I see what you mean and duely noted abou tlending firearms out. I see what you mean about sleeping with it too lol :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:01 am 
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Group: WW2 Living History Association Ltd www.ww2lha.com
On a related note, if you lock your firearm in a friend's car overnight and they have the keys with them, they have legal possession of it as you have no immediate access.

Be very careful!!

LHA members

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:08 am 
Dietmar wrote:
I kind of agree with the previous statement. Don't lend out your firearms unless you are there to supervise. It's illegal. I also tend to take mine to the khazi with me. Inside. I may leave some of my kit outside but the firearm comes with me. At night, if I can't lock it up, I sleep with it. Leaving it with someone else is just bad drills. It cost the Prince of Wales the sword of honour, if I remember correctly.

Reports that the embarrassing incident of losing his machinegun cost Prince William the Sandhurst Sword of Honour — awarded annually to the best cadet — Wills had been shorlisted for the prize together with six other officer-cadets.
A source at Sandhurst claimed the Prince was intellectually and militarily so exceptional that he remained

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:10 am 

Oops, yes sorry, Prince William, not the POW. That's his dad. Didn't he give it to someone else to "look" after it, who then handed it in to the armourer without telling him? So there you go, relying on some people isn't always a good idea, especially if they are liable to drop you in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:23 am 
4000+ Poster

It is good to see so many people on here who know how to deal with firearms safely and others who are willing to learn from them. Got some SERIOUS experience and knowledge on here...

Ð

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:26 am 

StmmZaum wrote:
It is good to see so many people on here who know how to deal with firearms safely and others who are willing to learn from them. Got some SERIOUS experience and knowledge on here...

Exactly.

That's why this was moved and made a sticky.

Steve :)

ES IST NICHT SHIVER IN GUTEN TAGEN
DAS FAHNENTUCH VORAN ZU TRAGEN
DER STOLZEN REIHE,
ERST WENN IN STURM FETZEN KNATTERN
DER MUDE HAUFE WILL ZERFLATTERN
ZEIGT SICH DIE TREUE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:37 am 
4000+ Poster

Just hope it gets seen by people who aren't interested in the legalityof firearms etc, they're the ones who need to see it.

Ð

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:38 am 

I must say, I bought a blank firing colt recently to see if that would spark up a desire to do a few more reenactment battle in my area as I havent done any (only done a couple tbh) for such a long time and it has really made me want to get back into it. the Colt arived today and yet again I went through the posts on here to make sure I would go about using this weapon it the right way. I've learnt alot from this thread and its not all plane sailing like I was led to beleive when I first got into the battling scene and did my first battle and thanks to this thread I'm getting to know the score, I'd like to thank all of you for your help. I still got along way to go, so you havent seen the last of me yet :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:37 pm 

Your open mind and 'want to know' attitude is great to see and heartening.
Often I see the I/we know best and you cant tell me anything I dont know type and sure as eggs is eggs they know next to nothing. There is always more to learn. Every day on this and other forums I learn lots. I dont need most of it but it gets tucked away, even if it's only so I have common ground with other re-enactors of other nations.
The stuff I posted is only my take on what goes on, others will differ in their view and interpretation. Both can be right.
It's become a sort of mantra for me in this hobby but there you go, 'There are no absolutes'.
As soon as you think you have nailed something down, be a helmet colour or the way to wear a badge, you will find another source which shows different. This is where common sense is needed and the ability to see both sides of a point. There are times when people are just plain dumb, or are taking short cuts for whatever reason. Thats their lookout. But the best, straightest path I think lies down the middle. Wander to each verge as and when you feel the need but avoid sticking to one side.
That said, there are those who would seek to ban branches of our hobby with claims of right wing politics and fascism. Who is the fascist? Those who seek to distort and rewrite history and impose their will on others or those that seek to educate and show the balanced and accurate picture however unpleasant the truth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:53 pm 
5000+ Poster

Location: Performing my Internationalist Duty in the People's Democratic Republic of Felixstan
Red, the biggest trouble with "battles" is that of excitement getting the better of you.

Excitement to a degree happens to all of us in "the thick of it". It becomes difficult to be fully aware of your surroundings or the distances or trying to surpress the natural ingrained concept that you point your weapon AT the "target" or that enemy who has just appeared in front of you from behind cover 10ft away is "every soldiers dream target" being that close...

Its tough to do particularly when things start to happen at a fast pace.

Personally I can say it does scare me sometimes, the idea that somebody else "on the other side" (ha or an American if I playing the part of the Brits LOL) can loose self control for just a split second and cause me a horrible injury. I try not to think about it, but it can and does happen.

This thread will probably end up in the usual way all such threads have ever gone... somebody naming some person, group or specific battle that was dangerous and then ending up in a squabble followed closely by a locking/deleting.

In the meantime Poacher has offered some good points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 13:10 pm 

I thank everyone on my part for opening my eyes to the ways things can go wrong and be prevented also. I do hope the thread dosent go that way Koslov, I'm learning alot here at a good pace, and thanks to Poacher and the others its really put alot into perspective about senarios. Are there certain weapons that can be more dangerous than others in the "world of blank firers" or does it depend on ammunition etc or is it a more complex thing than that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 13:29 pm 
5000+ Poster

Location: Performing my Internationalist Duty in the People's Democratic Republic of Felixstan
The most dangerous thing I know of is actually the Moisin Nagant us Soviets use... not so much the weapon but the extremely powerful Russian military blank that is used with them.

From personal experience the muzzle blast from these is extremely fiercesome and even with good lateral spacing between us, if someone fires from even slightly behind you you can feel it and it leaves your ears whistling. After one incident I was unsure if I'd ever get my hearing back in one ear and I know of one of my Comrades who probably has a permanent hearing defect after an accident...

We really should all wear ear plugs...

Such a fearsome noisy blank probably has a massive forward concussion too - although I've never been on the other end... I expect some of the Germans can tell you what its like...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 13:52 pm 

I think that you'll find more of your opponents using 7.92 these days. I'm sure they're more than a match for your Mosin Nagant rounds. :wink:
However, on a serious note, as we strive to be more accurate and the proper calibre firearms are to be seen more, the frontal blast area is probably getting bigger. Unfortunately, I have ocassionally and rather thoughtlessly fired around people before now, and have had the same done to me. It does hurt and I try harder to avoid it now. The 7.92s do have to be treated with a little more respect then the 7.62s.
My biggest gripe though, is with the monkey metal pistols. Those bloody things are more dangerous than the better made blank firers they were brought in to replace. At least with a front venter the danger area is instinctive and I never saw one explode in pieces like I have with their legal counterparts. I've pretty much relegated mine to the role of holster filler and only to be used in a last resort. I just don't trust the damn things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 13:54 pm 

Never been told about ear plugs, do most people use them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 14:09 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: The Far Setting Sun, Doughboys, 2nd Guards
steve wrote:
Dietmar wrote:
It killed Brandon Lee. If I remember correctly, the armourers on "The Crow" mixed up their firearms and used a real one with blank rounds. The resulting uncontained blast to Brandon's chest did exactly what Steve's medical reports describe. So there's living proof. Yes, unfortunate phrase, I know.

I seem to remember it posted here that it was a projectile stuck in the barrel that was propelled foward by a blank and drilled him.
The projectile was pushed into the barrel by the virtue of the primer firing it from the case when the gun was used for another scene. No one checked the bore was clear.

Gurowski

I seem to remember that the bullet had lodged in the barrel due to the use of some sort of low powered munitions in the gun.

Also, I seem to remember that there was an american actor in a TV series in the 80s who decided to see what a blank from a pistol would do when shot point blank at his head... he died...

At least thats what I remember! The guy was the lead in a TV series where he was a male model who sidelined as a private detective or something. He'd been in a really big show as a supporting character before that, though I've totally forgotten the show! All I can remember is what he looked like!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next