WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 23:14 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 18:49 pm 

Muzzle disipline, muzzle discipline, muzzle discipline.
Renting live weapons from an armourer at a show should give you a buzz. It does me. But keep the muzzle away from friend or foe at all times. The basics are treat the weapon as live and loaded at all times. Do not hand a weapon to anyone without showing the weapon is unloaded and the action clear. this goes for Blank firers aswell. You know its clear and safe but no-one else does.
Dont give live fire weapons to anyone not in your group. You should, once it's in your possession keep it with you at all times, but there are times when you must entrust it to another. When the toilets are in the public area and you just got to go. You might think to take it with you but it's better not to have these things in the public areas. Others will feel differently about this point, I'm happier the weapon is not in the public area with you with your pants round your knees.
Never load up in the public areas, wait until you are in the battle area.
It follows that you should never discharge your weapon in the public area. Test fire only works for that shot. If you must then announce your test fire, not in a squeek but shout the bloody thing so us old deaf gits can hear you. If you do choose to test fire you can be sure the old hands will be mocking you, contain your need to blat. Not in public areas.
If you pull the trigger and it wont go bang, dont open the bolt. Not right away, wait, then a bit longer.
Clear the round and inspect the primer, no dint, guns fault, dint, rounds fault. But do wait before opening the breech, then wait a bit more, they can delay for some time. The bang is normally contained within the reciever by the bolt, all the bang goes down the barrel. If they pop off uncontained then bits of brass can go everywhere. Never happened to me but I've seen the results of it, nasty enough.
Once you are done winning the war, clear and make safe your weapon, have it checked by a fellow warrior, check his too. Do it right, not just a quick glance, see the magazine is empty and the barrel clear.
Now you can take your bows and lap up the glory. For a while at least, then you have to police up all your spent brass from the arena. Yes all of it, not just the 5 rounds you managed before your heros death.
Dont give it to the kids as a momento, though they will love you for it, if you see them picking it up make them or their parents give it back. They are sharp, may be hot or it might be one of the ones that didn't go off. Still potential to take off fingers or damage an eye, explain that to reluctant mums and dads.
Done all that? Good, now get the thing back to the armourer, dont hang about your camp reliving the finer moments of your assault on the mg nest. Get the weapon back where it belongs, locked up out of the way. Return it with the action open so it can be seen to be clear.
No fixed bayonets, never, ever on a battle field. One slip or trip and it can be 'right up 'em captain' and we know they dont like that. No fixed bayonets.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 18:58 pm 

Whats missing, what have I forgot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 20:17 pm 

Group: Second Battle Group
poacher wrote:
Whats missing, what have I forgot?

The dangers of blowback weapons.

Jumping off the back of a truck with your top venting sten and the guy beside you gets a shot in the side of in head.

I believe the big danger is top venting though, as its an automatic reaction for people to hold the weapon in the correct fashion, and they done reaslie that their finger is over the blast hole.

Even with (and I say this modestly) the years of experiance I have, I have still done this, and it doesn't half hurt for a long time afterwards.

When you run carrying a blowback weapon, hold it with your hand round the top, infront of the bolt, if its cocked, or behind the bolt if its not.
And keep hold of it if you fall. Dont worry if you scratch the paint. Better that than it riding over the sear from the bump and shooting someone.

Gurowski

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 20:25 pm 

All this stuff which im achamed to say... I wouldnt even think about half of it, but on the other hand I'm bloody glad I relaise it now, thank you for the help Gents, you really know the score when it comes to this. Hats, Helmets, Berets, Cap comforters, and Jeep caps off to you on my part. Regards Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 21:25 pm 

End Ex...
You need to know when it's all over. Three short blasts on a whistle is the norm, it may be repeated. The visual signal usually is the flat of the hand waived vertically in front of the face. There may be variations on this, check with head sheds. Make sure you know when you must stop. It might be that there is a very good reason to end early. Obey the End Ex.
Dont finish your mag, dont storm the bunker, dont do jack. It's End Ex. stop and clear your weapon and make safe. Re group and listen to the boss.
You might have prisoners, dont even think about it. If you are a prisoner and some muppet pulls a gun after end ex and wants to execute you....Walk, walk away laughing and dont play the ar****les games.
After end ex nothing happens.
You will come across variations, not all battles are run the same. Some are quite loose and more of an excuse to let off steam than a re-enactment of a battle. These will require all your wits and attention, you wont know the quality of the opposition or even those on your side. A sign will be the lack of a section 5 armourer. Be very careful at these, pyro may not be the best so stay well clear and know where they are positioned.
Be aware and obey instruction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 21:43 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
Make sure you know the signal for immediate cease fire, what to do should you have an accident & where the First Aiders are. If you have a stoppage with an automatic weapon, remove the magazine before you attempt to clear it - should anything happen while you are clearing it, you won't get a runaway gun.....

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 21:46 pm 
5000+ Poster

Location: Performing my Internationalist Duty in the People's Democratic Republic of Felixstan
poacher wrote:
Some are quite loose and more of an excuse to let off steam than a re-enactment of a battle. These will require all your wits and attention, you wont know the quality of the opposition or even those on your side. A sign will be the lack of a section 5 armourer.

Well, thats a possible indicator, but I can think of a few that have had such people present and still were loony fests

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 21:51 pm 

Yeah, already mad a screw up with an automatic weapon because I didnt know what I was doing... I soon learnt to get the bloody mag off and keep your fingers out of very nasty places on a sten... nearly lost a few fingers... Shall not be making the same mistake again thats for sure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 22:40 pm 

Don't forget to CLEAN your weapon,yours or not, if you used it... clean it. Tam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 22:42 pm 

Never thought about that one, good Point!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 23:04 pm 
3000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
Boggin Royal wrote:
Don't forget to CLEAN your weapon,yours or not, if you used it... clean it. Tam

Unless it's one hired from Vickers. Don't clean one of theirs or Helen will cut your nuts off, trust me :twisted:

http://www.afra.org.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 23:06 pm 

really, how come? surely your doing them a favour... or is that the voice of inexperience talking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 23:26 pm 

Group: Second Battle Group
Airborne_Commando wrote:
really, how come? surely your doing them a favour... or is that the voice of inexperience talking?

As a renter of guns at reenactment events, I dont want other people cleaning my guns either.
You clean them yourself so that you know that its done to your standard While you are cleaning them you are also goiving the gun a visual inspection for damaged parts, or something that looks like it will break soon.

The above needs to be done before you rent again, and you need to have it done by yourself because your experiance with the guns tells you where to look and what to look for.

Gurowski

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 23:28 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
Plus if it's assembled wrongly & not checked, whose fault is it if it malfunctions?

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 23:29 pm 

ah good point my friend, I see what your getting at, I recently have bought I blank colt mainly as a holster filler in all honesty, I dont do battling and only had a taster in the past but would always like to try again, what advice would you give to me in cleaning and maintenace as so I dont make a mistake with mine or someone elses saftey. Regards Red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 23:39 pm 

CAUTION JOVIAL COMMENT!

"Airborne_Commando - Advice... DON'T LEND IT OUT SOEMONE WILL BREAK IT" :)

THAT WAS A JOKE

This is not.

Had a convo with Essex Police about lending Sec 1 & 2 weapons to a friend for battles.. Some people do this. It is considered illegal now. This is info only not a dig.

I am cagey about who I lend my BFs to. By this I mean the purpose built ones. As even a few of my friends are REALLY bad with weapons. I have had a busted weapon back before. Luckily it was easily fixed... But made me think!

Portraying Column 44, 3rd (CHINDIT) Indian Inf. Div.

www.farsettingsun.co.uk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next