WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:58 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:57 am 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
BrianB wrote:
The .303 'blank' with a wooden tip was produced for training purposes with the Vickers Machine Gun. These rounds have found their way into the hands of reenactors using Lee Enfield rifles. All blank rounds are dangerous if misused and people should be aware of this. It is down to the unit safety officer to enforce the rules and to each member to follow them.
Brian, these wooden rounds were used, up until recently with people who yourself, myself and Redrat have had contact with. (PM me for details)
What people do not realise is that a blank round has wadding to pack it out - this, plus the crimping at the end is the danger. Firing directly at anything below 10 metres away is likely to be hit by this wadding......

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:08 am 
3000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
Oggy wrote:
Firing directly at anything below 10 metres away is likely to be hit by this wadding......

And unburnt powder, and pieces of brass from the crimp. I've seen more than one bloke get instant blood freckles from a blast to the face from 10-25 yards.

http://www.afra.org.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:18 am 
Forum Legend

Exactly - I'll always remember receiving a 7.62 Blank to the front, not nice......

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

Jo Hukam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:36 am 

BrianB wrote:
The .303 'blank' with a wooden tip was produced for training purposes with the Vickers Machine Gun. These rounds have found their way into the hands of reenactors using Lee Enfield rifles.

I feckin hope that this has been stopped! Especially as I'm likely to be on the receiving end!
I've used the wooden tipped 303s with the correct barrel in Brens before and am fully aware that they are basically the same as a live round but with a wooden projectile instead of the normal metal one. They look nothing at all like blanks. If these were used in a normal Lee Enfield a fatality could easily occur!

PS, wasn't entirely sure about the details involved in the Brandon Lee case, but it does prove that blanks can kill. Especially if the barrel becomes plugged with stones or mud, which I've seen reenactors do before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 15:02 pm 

Wasnt there some talk not long back about a forum for blank firers? Maybe its worth while and maybe its not, I dont know, im not experienced enough as such to give a definate say so but from the perspective of someone who hasnt done to many battles and was on the receiving end of a blank firer resulting in some rather nasty injurie I'd personally find it useful and educational, theres still alot I would like to know and alot I NEED to know. I recall the first battle I went to I wasnt given enough training by far, and after the batle and after injuries and experience realise i needed ALOT more which luckily I've received but I still have along way to go and i'm not ashamed to admit that, I'd rather be safe then Sorry tbh. I've heard a FEW (VERY FEW) people say their only blanks whats complicated about that, but at the end of the day they are still weapons, and bloody well dangerous at that! just my unexperienced ten pence worth. Regards Red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 15:07 pm 
5000+ Poster

Location: Performing my Internationalist Duty in the People's Democratic Republic of Felixstan
This thread is located in the new slightly amended VCR and Firearms section ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 15:11 pm 

Thanks Koslov, lol... it might help If i opened my eyes now and again I guess. Thanks comrade!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 15:32 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: 2nd Inniskillings, 20th Cent revisited, HITs, NA
remember having to do the safety talks?

5 foor away etc at various items such as the ration box, water carrier full of water, coke cans etc

5.56 mll blank straight through the lot of em, really opens your eyes.

I aint insane, voices in me head say so!

Inniskillings through the ages, from 27th Foot - Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.
Part of The 20th Century revisited.

Historical Interpretation Team (worcs)

http://inniskillingsdatabase.webs.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 15:36 pm 

Jeez! *gulp* (that'll sound really amature and stupid to many as most proably knew that lol but truth is I have little experience with weapons in the impressions I do) but just shows how little I know... bloody scary though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 15:49 pm 

They are scarey and dangerous which is why we must be on our guard at all times.
Ever seen a BF pistol held sideways, gangsta style? I wonder where the blast from the top vent goes?
One of my issues with top venting is awareness. We all know the dangerous end of a gun is the barrel, we take it for granted that you dont point the barrel at anyone.
With top venting a new mind set is needed. The danger comes from some point down the barrel. Swinging the gun about can expose friend and foe to the eflux.
Think, be aware, if you doubt the saftey, dont take the shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 16:13 pm 

well said poacher! This will sound a silly question in three battles I've done I've only actually fired in one, where do you learn about these, get taught about them, get training, from the groups or is there other places? silly question i know, but hey, you dont know unless you ask. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 16:29 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: 2nd Inniskillings, 20th Cent revisited, HITs, NA
TA, cadets, and most groups do training these days with weapons familiarity as do the weapons hire folks ;)

I aint insane, voices in me head say so!

Inniskillings through the ages, from 27th Foot - Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.
Part of The 20th Century revisited.

Historical Interpretation Team (worcs)

http://inniskillingsdatabase.webs.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 17:21 pm 
Forum Legend

I've seen a BFA flying downrange as a result of someone being careless - Blanks are deadly - treat them as live at all times.

Jo Hukam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 17:30 pm 

You watch the battles, listen to the briefings, pay attention at the saftey one esp. the tactical one will help with you being where you should and when you should. Public battles are being scripted quite tightly, the days of random blatting are almost over.
Once in the battle listen and watch your leader. try to stick to your job though stuff can go against you. Vehicles dont always hit their marks, pyro might not be fired if someone is out of position.
However tight the script just like a real fight stuff goes on that changes what you must do and how you must do it. The group leaders will do their best to steer you according to script.
Watching, thinking, awareness of surroundings.
Take your hits when you should or when its obvious you should go down. Not all battles script down to each hit, though some do. Ignore the prat who wont take a hit, stick to your part and you cant be wrong. If you are to advance an take a position but the enemy wont go down, ignore them, walk through them, they are the ones who will look foolish and might end up getting chewed out.
They are the selfish ones, it's not about them and their war hero fantasy its about the bigger picture of the event and the battle. You might get told to die in the first 2 minutes, thats tough but take the hit, your CO should let you live longer in the next battle. At Spanhoe I got 5 rounds each battle then got dropped in a trench. Spent the next 15 mins of each battle lying down and getting walked on. If you do get 'killed' try to die face down or with your helmet over your face. The others may still be firing and hot brass is hot, best not to get it in the face.
If you get to live through the battle, think where your brass might be going, those dead folk are not really dead. Dont use them as cover, your muzzle blast might not bother you but they might find that resurection and kicking you around the field is the best way foreward.
Thinking, watching and awareness.
Stuff will be going on 360 degrees around you, there will be smoke, noize of all kinds and a plan to follow. Watch your group leader for instruction, check around you often, when is that tank moving through your position? Are you too far left/right? Are you out front and exposed or lagging behind. Where are the pyro spots for the naval arty strikes? Did I just trip over a wire for the big bang? Is that post for the bazooka hit? Watch for signals, if you are wrong some one will be trying to move you.
Awareness, watching and thinking.
Thats not everything but thats some of the stuff you need to think about in a battle. Do as you are told, it's not about you, it's about the battle and it's about being safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 17:46 pm 

Poacher, thanks for the Information, stupidly I didnt know 80% of that stuff and I dont bame others for that, I do think you for pointing that out to me though, really puts the whole senario into perspective. I am hoping to do a battle or two later in the year and will certainly take this in. regards Red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 18:14 pm 

Always asume that you are invisible to the driver of any vehicle. If it's armoured then you almost certainly are, if its a soft skin you might be. Stay out of their way unless you role calls for you to be on them, around them or attacking them. Even then assume you are invisible.
When moving in public areas they will be marshalled, listen to the marshall, he'd rather be riding the thing but has a job to do so obey his commands and get out the way. In battles there wont be marshalls so be aware of the vehicles and listen out for warnings.
When tracked vehicles stop, they dont. The slack in the track and the inertia of the vehicle means they 'rock'. this can be 2" or whatever, dont be too close. Even a nudge can crack a wall, you aint that tough.
Hobnails and armour dont mix, steel on steel is like ice, plus the owner wont like what you are doing to his paint. Got a job to do with tanks? Get some rubber/plain leather soles. Might be a bit farby but you'll have more chance of getting asked back or surviving the ride. Ever wondered why it's often Falshies on the back of the replica Tiger at shows? Or Yanks on the Sherman and the Brits have to walk?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next