WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:14 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 17:24 pm 
4000+ Poster

Boggin, bloody right! Whilst we can't exactly fine people etc and at the end of the day ND's will happen, the least we can do is make sure people are trained and aware of the dangers.

If this thread were to be moved I'd suggest it should go in general because whilst it's a firearms issue I think it's more important that people see it than that it is in the right pidgeon hole.

Ð

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 19:03 pm 
 WWW  Profile

redrat wrote:
I have had demonstrated in front of me a 303. blank round with wooden tip fired at point blank onto a peice of paper. And quite franky nothing mappend , safe as anything in my books.... Although i wouldnt like to try it out on a hunman ..
Steve maybe you watched Tiger land too many times lol

This post contradicts itself completely....'nothing happened'.....'wouldnt like to try it out on human'

Clearly you have no concept of the dangers of blank-firing ammunition.

Outside of a dog a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. Karl Marx

La Columna

The Spanish Civil War Living History Group

http://www.lacolumna.org.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 19:18 pm 
4000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

well as has been said, see/done lots of blank ammo (9mm-7.62) and seen lots of pyro demos their bleeding dangerous and can kill. if your handeling ANYTHING that fires blank(front,up,down or any way venters especialy) handle like a live weapon as it can do the same job. alwaysrember to its not always the front danger areas that might cause the injury there are sides too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 19:21 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Modesto wrote:
redrat wrote:
I have had demonstrated in front of me a 303. blank round with wooden tip fired at point blank onto a peice of paper. And quite franky nothing mappend , safe as anything in my books.... Although i wouldnt like to try it out on a hunman ..
Steve maybe you watched Tiger land too many times lol

This post contradicts itself completely....'nothing happened'.....'wouldnt like to try it out on human'

Clearly you have no concept of the dangers of blank-firing ammunition.

& he's talking not talking about crimped blanks but about wooden tipped blanks which is worse..

Wood-tipped blanks may be used only in a weapon fitted with an appropriate shredder designed to render the wood tip harmless upon exiting the weapon. Not for use in bolt action rifles only automatic & semi automatic weapons..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 20:11 pm 

Group: Second Battle Group
Yes Andy, I was at Longmoor when that guy stepped back into a rifle blast.
Guys in my unit have been injured and shipped off to hospital after an event at Mereworth.

Even I have had the experiance of an own goal when testing a BF in my garage. It was for this reason that I decided to develope a safer system that led to my FV system.

DO NOT MOVE THIS THREAD. I posted it here so that only we can view it. I dont want to post something like this on a public forum as it could be a great reason to ban blanks.

My wife was watching CSI last week, and they killed a person by firing a blank into his ear.
Now I found a report about a death by a blank.

The police are so worried about discharging any projectile, missile, etc from a converted BF, but maybe they have not considered the possibility of the individual blank
So keep it here for our consumption, as we dont want to find we need a FAC to posses blanks.

Gurowski

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 22:04 pm 

And here it is, moved?
Top venting on Stens is always an issue too. Got to keep those fingers clear of the ejection port which can lead to wrapping the thumb over the vent on top. Ouch! I've seen it once and dont want to see it again.
The gung-ho attitudes of many in battles[I include myself in early days] makes for many a possible injury. Stopping to fire in an advance means those around you may cross what was your clear field of fire. Please think, please look around you, please be aware of others. If in doubt dont pull the trigger. No-one, I mean no-one will know. The bad guy wont take the hit anyway.
The pleasing pop of a blank in your rifle is much more hostle at the barrel end. A couple of rounds popped off over your mates shoulder might land you in deep trouble, if only from him. It's LOUD and it hurts.
On closing with your enemy a whole new set of problems arise. You cant level your weapon at close range but will the bad guys take the hit if they see the pointy end facing the floor? They would if they knew the outcome of the discharge at close range.
We all know not to point the barrel at our target even at long range dont we? Above, below, anything but at.
Does it spoil your war, your enjoyment of the battle? Tough, it's not about you, it's about being safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 22:17 pm 

I love your strapline Poacher! "I can say what I like, no-one listens to me anyway!"

As it happens... I agree with a lot of what you say. No one wants to kill their pals, or hurt them, doing "the hobby" And most of us posting seem to be all for safety... I have heard a few bits of info that a few battles at shows are tightening up even more, so reducing more thoroughly the risks.

I had a lovely Battle (cheap too) in my early days. We shouted bang, and used a gas rattle for the Bren. Great fun! Would save a few quid!

Portraying Column 44, 3rd (CHINDIT) Indian Inf. Div.

www.farsettingsun.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 22:31 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Powder burns? Flash burns? Penetrating residue? We have ‘virtually’ zero as we place a great deal on firing distances and the likes, Especially when we have Bakers which do this.

http://www.95thrifles.com/95th/media/ba ... age284.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 22:40 pm 

WOW

Now were onto another avenue... Did you witness the guy at Waterloo 2005 who blew his face off?

And a guy in another unit had a large touch hole and got his neighbour in the face with that...

Accidents can happen... all it takes is a PRAT not follwing the rules.

Portraying Column 44, 3rd (CHINDIT) Indian Inf. Div.

www.farsettingsun.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 22:50 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Errrr, Poacher. Are you saying that your unit does not have fire control orders? That there is no fire discipline during mock battles? That shooting is a complete free-for-all?

I sincerely hope not, my friend.

Outside of a dog a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. Karl Marx

La Columna

The Spanish Civil War Living History Group

http://www.lacolumna.org.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 23:01 pm 

It killed Brandon Lee. If I remember correctly, the armourers on "The Crow" mixed up their firearms and used a real one with blank rounds. The resulting uncontained blast to Brandon's chest did exactly what Steve's medical reports describe. So there's living proof. Yes, unfortunate phrase, I know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 23:36 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Cold War Provost (section of Forces 80)
As a former Range Officer in the T.A. the rules were strict: No blank shot to be fired at less than 10 feet from a target; all shots to be aimed off slightly, even then. All other weapons safety rules applied, naturally. Hope this helps :)

Roger

Roger

Cold War Provost LHG
*Winners: Military Mayhem 2009 Best Living History Display :mrgreen:
Confirmed member of the Bunker Bash Drinking Team

HALT!
Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang!
Britische Militärpolizei!
Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang!
Halt oder ich schießen!
Klicken
Oops!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 23:41 pm 

Modesto wrote:
Errrr, Poacher. Are you saying that your unit does not have fire control orders? That there is no fire discipline during mock battles? That shooting is a complete free-for-all?

I sincerely hope not, my friend.

Not saying that at all, and I resent your inferal of that.
What I did try to point out was that for many getting into a battle is exciting and can be confusing. That thinking and being aware of yourself and your surroundings is very important.
I think you should read my post again and see where it says there is no discipline or a free for all?
The units I am a member of, during my time with them, have 100% clean records in fire arms saftey. Our last saftey officer was a firearms instuctor in the forces, our current officer is a retired range officer I believe.
I can though cite instances where things have gone wrong in battles and injuries have occured though never in my unit.
We seem to be trying to bring to members attention the dangers and pitfalls of shooting with blanks in this thread. You join in with an attempt to belittle and misrepresent. Why is that? Contribute to the thread or dont post, I dont see your spamming as helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:44 am 

Group: Second Battle Group
Dietmar wrote:
It killed Brandon Lee. If I remember correctly, the armourers on "The Crow" mixed up their firearms and used a real one with blank rounds. The resulting uncontained blast to Brandon's chest did exactly what Steve's medical reports describe. So there's living proof. Yes, unfortunate phrase, I know.

I seem to remember it posted here that it was a projectile stuck in the barrel that was propelled foward by a blank and drilled him.
The projectile was pushed into the barrel by the virtue of the primer firing it from the case when the gun was used for another scene. No one checked the bore was clear.

Gurowski

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:07 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: 4th Indian Division
Now hey hey lads i wasent saying that they are completly safe , i was just expressing my option from what i had seen. Now we cant have one sided arguments can we , they the forum would be no fun ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:16 am 
2000+ Poster

Group: Hirschberg Society
The .303 'blank' with a wooden tip was produced for training purposes with the Vickers Machine Gun. These rounds have found their way into the hands of reenactors using Lee Enfield rifles. All blank rounds are dangerous if misused and people should be aware of this. It is down to the unit safety officer to enforce the rules and to each member to follow them.

Schweiß speichert Blut
"...the future is clearly known, only the past has to be rewritten"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next