WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 23:59 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 21:15 pm 
3000+ Poster

depends front venting rifle or top venting pistol?
rather easy answer in some ways?

of course its just as dangerous to decide to pretend to have a fight or a cuddle on the floor pretending to fight if you don't know how to do that either.

of course that never happens in a properly scripted battle reenactment, where everyone has practised and walked through the senario beforehand, which is just like every battle i've ever been in.

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 22:05 pm 

Group: SBG
Just so I'm sure I know, a top venting pistol/MG/watever is a weapon that shoots all the gasses out a hole in the top right?
And it's a normal rifle, as in it does what the majority of blank firing rifles do, whether that's front vent or top vent. But yeah, a top venting pistol as well.
I'm just asking because pistols are traditionally short range weapons and whilst I know that blatting a few rounds in someone's face with blank rounds at 5m is a good way to not get to the top of their christmas card list, I was wondering what the danger range was. Evidently it seems that owning a blank firing pistol is rather like a broken knitting needle.
No point to it.
But yes, thanks for putting this up because this is a really useful topic. One can always find idiots who will do whatever they do and ignore the rules, but this can minimize the risks at the very least.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 23:37 pm 
3000+ Poster

if you don't know where the exhaust port of the gun is then i really think you shouldn't be using one.

first rule of gun usage is know something about your gun, which end is the traditional dangerous end and which end you hold it at is a good start. still not enough to allowed to run about with one.

there's no such thing as a blank firing rifle, unless you are in the SWB or bought one from wendy.
all rifles are live firers (firearm or shotgun) but most reenactment only owners are limited in not being allowed to posess live ammunition. live weapons vent obviously down the barrel.

and if you read past postings on the subject, you'd know all of the problems associated with that.

as for rules - its never SAFE to fire a gun at someone at any distance. the RISK is just reduced.

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:26 am 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
Ah - TA Blanks!

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:21 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: 95th nacht abt..attached 85th gebirgs
treat all guns as potential live,,,,even blank ones
then you get into habbit of treating em as such :wink:
but take extra care of purpose built blank firing weapons
as they are far more dangerouse than live firing weapons
as in they are made of s**t metal
unless built by an armourer such as wendy or steve in nz

they are experts and know what weapons need what metal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 18:25 pm 

Group: The Welsh Tommies 1939-1945
firing a live weapon without a BFA will result in the wadding being projected out of the weapon at a high velocity. Like a bullet! And can cause injuries. It will vary on size of round obviously.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 18:50 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A.F.R.A
one of my freinds from my dark age reenactment group was saying about kelmarsh (can't remember which year but before 2009 as I went to that one) and the whole 'multiperiod' battle at the end of the parade on the last day and a yank firing a garand at him at very close range and it ripping the canvas off the front of his shield (he didn't have a leather faced shield then). I've only had limited exsperience with firing guns (played with many deacs though :P), but even I know to respect the fact they are not cap guns and compressed gasses and 'bits' fly out of the end, why do some people not use common sence with these things sometimes...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:06 am 

Group: Second Battle Group
TomGun wrote:
firing a live weapon without a BFA will result in the wadding being projected out of the weapon at a high velocity. Like a bullet! And can cause injuries. It will vary on size of round obviously.

The Wadding......................
All blanks are crimped close, for obvious reasons. Anyone who rocks up with dodgy blanks with "Wadding" in them should not be allowed to use them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:43 am 
3000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
Wadding? :lol:

http://www.afra.org.uk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:49 am 
3000+ Poster

steve wrote:
TomGun wrote:

The Wadding......................
All blanks are crimped close, for obvious reasons. Anyone who rocks up with dodgy blanks with "Wadding" in them should not be allowed to use them.

you've never been hit in the face with broken crimps then?

i made a load of "dodgy blanks" as you call them. having been a muzzle loader for years one gets used to using shreddedtoilet or rice paper or cut grass in battles. if you don't wad a muzzle loader it makes a phut noise.

but the dodgy shredded toilet paper is so much more dangerous than little bits of metal......... i know what i prefer to stand in front of.

(No)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:04 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
I think they mean lead wadding ;-)

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 16:14 pm 

The BFA on most modern weapons does several jobs, it prevents rubbish being fired out (bits of brass, unburnt powder etc), in the event of someone inadvertently loading and firing a live round it prevents the bullet coming out of the barrel (the BFA on the SA80 is designed to cope with three live rounds without damage) and finally it provides a certain amount of back pressure so that on gas operated weapons some of the gas is available to cycle the working parts rather than it all vanishing out of the barrel.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 20:17 pm 

Quote:
you've never been hit in the face with broken crimps then?

No I havent, but I am well aware of this as I demonstrate this against a sheet of A4 paper at safety briefing

Quote:
i made a load of "dodgy blanks" as you call them. having been a muzzle loader for years one gets used to using shreddedtoilet or rice paper or cut grass in battles. if you don't wad a muzzle loader it makes a phut noise.

I know about this also

Quote:
but the dodgy shredded toilet paper is so much more dangerous than little bits of metal......... i know what i prefer to stand in front of.

And this is the part that concerns me, people firing these out of bolt action rifles. Dont get me wrong, wadding can be used if need be, but unless you use the correct material, you can be firing a projectile.
The correct material in this case being the green florists foam stuff they use. It vapourises upon firing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 20:21 pm 

rockhopper wrote:
The BFA on most modern weapons does several jobs, it prevents rubbish being fired out (bits of brass, unburnt powder etc), in the event of someone inadvertently loading and firing a live round it prevents the bullet coming out of the barrel (the BFA on the SA80 is designed to cope with three live rounds without damage) and finally it provides a certain amount of back pressure so that on gas operated weapons some of the gas is available to cycle the working parts rather than it all vanishing out of the barrel.

While true, we dont use modern weapons at reenactment events. Using the garand as an example, they are BFAed by screwing a false cylinder lock on the end which a real projectile would rip off in no time. Also i know that the average garand BFA is around 4mm dia, and I have seen a person receive a hit in the leg from 20 ft after a piece of brass got out the BFA.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 23:45 pm 

Group: none yet
Jon Erik Hexum&Brandon Lee
two people killed with "Blank guns"
tbh Brandon Lee's death couldnt happen if all blanks are checked before an reenactment event
and Jon Eriks.... well dont play russian roulette with Blanks......

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:42 am 

Rooster1 wrote:
Jon Erik Hexum&Brandon Lee
two people killed with "Blank guns"
tbh Brandon Lee's death couldnt happen if all blanks are checked before an reenactment event
and Jon Eriks.... well dont play russian roulette with Blanks......

No they wernt killed with "blank" guns. They were killed with real guns that fired blanks, and in the case of Brandon Lee, it shows you how much power is in a blank to drive a projectile down a rifled barrel.
You can read on the net about testing that showed a point blank shot to the chest with a blank will stop the heart.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next