WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 17:42 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:07 am 

Group: The Black Watch
Our group here in the central west of the US (Colorado, Nebraska Wyoming) have an upcoming very late war event in May baced on Steiner's retreat to the west. This has brought up a number of questions and finally for a few folks the chance to dig their BFC uniforms out and realy wear them at a tactical scenario where the unit (of eight or so guys) was.

This has lead to a few questions that despite my research I can not find an answer to. I am hopefull that some on on the board might have some answers. There is little information on what gear the BFC carried into the front lines. I am assuming they were dressed similar to the Nordland troops they were attached to.

The basic guidelines we are offering our reenactors is:

BFC uniform guidelines for May 1945. The group is attached to SS Nordland.

Bluse is M42 SS pattern with collar tabs, sleave eagle, GB shield, and arm band for the BFC. See [bills-bunker.de/64090.html] for type and placement.

Trousers are M43. Low boots and gaiters or rolled socks allowed.

Black leather waist belt with SS buckle. Web y-straps or web other feild gear authorized.

Minumum field gear:
Canteen
Beadbag
Messkit
Shovel with carrier
Bayonet with carrier
Gas Mask can
Ammo pouches for weapon type.
Helmet (M42 perfered either with Oak B cover or bare. No decals)

M44 Dot jacket or trousers can be worn. Only sleeve eagle on jacket, worn over bluse.

Type II smock can be worn.

Greatcoat with sleeve eagle only.

Weapon may be M44 or kar98. No pistols.

Rucksack is allowed. You can carry your British POW uniform in the bottom if you so desire.

Our questions are about more details. First off, does this sound reasonable? Am I close to being possibly correct? What shoulder boards would they be wearing? Infantry or pioneer?

ID disks? What would they be stamped with? The Pioneer school's code?

Any other suggestions?

We expect about four or five BFC types out of the 50 to 60 Germans at the event. Our plan is to use them in the second line and have them issued pioneer tools to dig field works. They may see some action but their orders are to avoid contact with the Soviets as much as possible.

Thoughts? Concerns? Questions?

thanks.

Scott

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 23:23 pm 

Group: AFRA
read: 'Renegades-Hitlers Englishmen' by Adrian Weale (Pimlico, 2002). In the 'End Game' chapter, it explains when travelling to the (Eastern) front that most BFC members removed their tell tale insignia from their uniforms. It mentions they were trained with and issued MP44s beforehand and explains how upon arriving in the battalion they had joined very cosmopolitan mix of other nationalities including Dutch, Danes, Norwegians, Swedish and Swiss.