WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:51 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:14 am 
 YIM  Profile

I am trying to come up with a way to reproduce plasma and whole blood I.V's. does anybody have any suggestions?I was thinking about painting the inside blood bottles with a plumb red paint and using fiberglass resin in the plasma bottles. the resin will be mixed with either a oat meal type cloth or using a very fine sandstone sand for the color.

Thanks for everybody's help.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 22:27 pm 
1000+ Poster

Corn syrup with a dark red dye doesn't look too bad but no matter what you do it'll never look exactly like blood it never does. Plasma is easier it's a sort of straw coloured fluid easy to mock-up using applejuice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:56 am 

I have tried several times to recreat blood. For slightly clotted blood just use ky gel with powered blood (you can get this from most costume, theatrical and joke shops) a small amount of powder only is needed. To get a near consitstancy to blood I have used a combination of blood powder, cornflour and water, (this takes a lot of patience and throwing away of some failures) put everything in a pan and heat stiring all the time, remove from heat as soon as consitstancy is achieved and remove from hot pan let cool. With practise and patience you should succeed. The colour is the hardest part to recreat some blood powders are better than others.
Stay away from clothing dye's as the staining is difficult to remove, and also it is dangerouse if swallowed or comes into contact with eyes etc, always air on the side of caution even if your bags are sealed. Food colouring and fake blood are best. :)