WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:00 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: ETO/MTO ANC
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:55 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Group: Ranger Re-enactments
thanks saddle tramp I will pm you my measurements

kind regards

lisa

[color=#0000FF]

I portray Captain ANC as part of Ranger Re-enactments Medical Dept

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:56 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FSSF-UK
mitten31 wrote:
thanks saddle tramp I will pm you my measurements

kind regards

lisa

No worries, it will be a man's one though... 8)

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:55 am 
3000+ Poster

Group: FRAU
The mans shirt I use is identical to one shown in the life pictures online of an Anzio nurse crossing a quaqmire (ie it has the little flap under the buttoning). Merely adding this as I haven't actually seen an original female wool shirt (I have looked and one I thought was, wasn't), those online I've seen have tended to be the Dress uniform shirt and in a set (skirt/tunic/hat) with a nice price tag.... might need to ask santa for one of those me thinks :lol:

The highest form of flattery is imitation...... allegedly

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 16:55 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FSSF-UK
I think if yer doing inbetween early/starting off in the field, and leaving Britain, you can wear almost anything that is mens...

Something I find interesting, in Italy you won't see any Class A uniforms on U.S servicemen, but you do with women...

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 17:32 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: FRAU
That is the uniform you see them in, in pictures where they have just landed/arrived ? with the coat over the skirt/tunic... yes/no If so theres some great pictures of ladies arriving (later than anzio mind) in Italy (shall endeavour to remember which website its on as was one of those states beginning with M's historical endeavours :oops: )

The highest form of flattery is imitation...... allegedly

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:16 am 

Hello, that took some catching up!!!!! :lol:

The books I own show nurses in anzio with mostly a mixture of HBT's and wool shirt and trousers with a WAC wool cardigan, tankers jacket or 41 jacket for warmth. No mention or picture of a 43 jacket in any of the books regarding MTO that we own.
I do however own a fantastic book that I bought whilst in Anzio giving personal accounts of people from both allied and axis units in Nettuno and Anzio. It has a pic of 2 nurses from 94th evac hospital in front of a tent (with other nurses in HBT's) wearing a steel helmet and SEERSUCKER!!!!! Also a nurse from 56th evac hospital recieving a silver star from General Lucas wearing seersucker and a WAC cardigan. I do own a seersucker shirt and trousers but tend to wear it only when we're not playing with mud as I don't want it ruining!!! I will be giving it an outing in Normandy though along with several other hard to find items that I've managed to get my mits on!!! :D :D :D

I Have a pink off duty dress that shows no sign of ever having a patch of any kind sewn on. The fabric is really delicate and you'd definately see if there had been. The very few pics I have, they don't seem to have one on, just pin badges.

Guess after all your research Lee you won't be asking "what is THAT on your head"!!!!!!!! :wink:

Jen

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:34 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FIRST ALLIED AIRBORNE ASSOCIATION
Hi Jen

No I Wont, but remember we were in based in England for the senario and there were no camels at COEM was there :wink:

Regards

Lee

I have always endeavoured to listen to what each and every person in a discussion had to say before venturing my own opinion. Oftentimes, my own opinion will simply represent a con-census of what I heard in the discussion. I always remember the axiom: a leader is like a shepherd. He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind.”

Nelson Mandela

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 13:42 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

I Have a pink off duty dress that shows no sign of ever having a patch of any kind sewn on. The fabric is really delicate and you'd definately see if there had been. The very few pics I have, they don't seem to have one on, just pin badges.

I am inclined to leave the SSI off the dress on my wifes OD One, although Katy has confirmed they were worn some of the time.

Less is more

Female (Overseas) Garrison Hat I have been informed is ok.

Regards

Lee

I have always endeavoured to listen to what each and every person in a discussion had to say before venturing my own opinion. Oftentimes, my own opinion will simply represent a con-census of what I heard in the discussion. I always remember the axiom: a leader is like a shepherd. He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind.”

Nelson Mandela

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 14:00 pm 

No need for camels!!! Plenty of pics of nurses in the field wearing a turban made from a triangular bandage, towel etc. in Belgium, France and Italy and the Pacific. Wish I had a scanner then I could post them up! It was great for use in surgery amongst other things, it's a common sense thing! :roll: When you're in the field you use what works, adapt what's already there or invent something new. A turban was of the fashion so they all knew how to do it, kept your hair out of the way and looked better than having lice infested unwashed hair loose.

Remember what I said at COAM, "I'm a surgical nurse just back from Anzio with casualties, I'm here for R and R and to teach the nurses here about combat medicine". I justified the use of something non conforming with a good reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Controversy, I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :lol:
Jen

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 14:31 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Short-fuse Sallee wrote:
No need for camels!!! Plenty of pics of nurses in the field wearing a turban made from a triangular bandage, towel etc. in Belgium, France and Italy and the Pacific. Wish I had a scanner then I could post them up! It was great for use in surgery amongst other things, it's a common sense thing! :roll: When you're in the field you use what works, adapt what's already there or invent something new. A turban was of the fashion so they all knew how to do it, kept your hair out of the way and looked better than having lice infested unwashed hair loose.

Remember what I said at COAM, "I'm a surgical nurse just back from Anzio with casualties, I'm here for R and R and to teach the nurses here about combat medicine". I justified the use of something non conforming with a good reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Controversy, I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :lol:
Jen

Remember what I said at COAM, "I'm a surgical nurse just back from Anzio with casualties, I'm here for R and R and to teach the nurses here about combat medicine".

Nice story, but it finishes with my bit of that senario. "Your in England now, get rid of the Turban and the next time you muster with the rest of the Nurses I want to see you in regulation headdress" :lol:

Love to see those pictures, (I am sure people are switching on their scanner right now to help you prove that point :lol:) but with so few group members we all have representing a larger formation, its not generic for a England based senario (You did not mention England Jen), days before Normandy. Would fit right in, in North affrica and Italy perhaps and you may just see some groups doing just that even ours, but not common enough to turn up on a formation (Muster) in England wearing a Turban IMHO.

A nice detail touch to seperate ETO from MTO though.

LB

Nelson Mandela

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 19:59 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Hello all.....

am feeling brave so thought I'd drop a post on this topic. :D

I wish I had my scanner working as I have got photo's in front of me of Army Nurses wearing all manner of headgear including 2 photo's of white turbans.

I may be getting this totally wrong, but surely back in the day they thought the same way as we do now, i.e you'll make do with what you have to hand and if that means using a bandage to secure dirty lousy hair then you would? Would everyone be exactly the same? If kit was lost, damaged etc was it automatically replaced to keep a unit looking uniform? Forgive my naivety on this subject but if anyone can answer that would be great. I'm a little concerned as I am putting together an Army Nurse uniform and so far have wool trousers,wool short,M41 jacket,leggings,wool jumper but no headgear other than a jeep hat and was thinking after seeing the turban photos that this is probably what I will also do. I've joined the same unit as Jen.

Does anybody have access to Army Nurse photographs when based in the UK that we could have a look at re this.....Dink, did you say you have some or did I imagine that.......hmmmmmm :?

kind regards

Lisa

[color=#0000FF]

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 20:18 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

can anybodt date / place this photo?

kindest regards

mitten/lisa

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

[color=#0000FF]

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 22:31 pm 
Supporter

Group: FSSF
Evacuation Hospitals [semi mobile] were 15th,93rd,94th,95th,170th and 171st.All 400 Bed..Evacuation Hospitals [750 Bed]:8th,11th,16th,38th and 56th.
Converalescent Hospital 3D.
Veterniary Evac Hospital 17th.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:00 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

damn........wish I had my scanner working.

just looked through American Nightingale and there is also a photo of An just after shipping to France from Uk and out of the four nurse in the shot which is them looking after patients in a field hospital, 3 differnet types of headgear incluing turban.....if they were doing this in France just after Uk, they MUST have been allowed to do this in UK right?

Mitten

[color=#0000FF]

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:50 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

[quote="mitten31"]damn........wish I had my scanner working.

just looked through American Nightingale and there is also a photo of An just after shipping to France from Uk and out of the four nurse in the shot which is them looking after patients in a field hospital, 3 differnet types of headgear incluing turban.....if they were doing this in France just after Uk, they MUST have been allowed to do this in UK right?

Not necessarily Mitten, Those Nurses are on the line in France. In the field as with all Armies from the start of conflict the dress was adapted to the situation and circumstances they found themselves in, an old saying we had, "There is no bullshit on the battlefield"

I have no doubt that all kinds of headgear would have been adopted on the line and probably on training exercises as well, but if starting out In the hobby as an Army Nurse I would suggest getting the basic ISSUED kit together first and then add to it the detail of non generic items.

Of interest what was the other headgear being worn and what unit was it.

The picture by the way posted above is of course almost defiantly not ETO but MTO

Kind Regards

Lee

Ps See you at Weymouth in a couple of weeks

Nelson Mandela

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:01 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Hey Lee......am almost there with kit, just need hat! I have a jeepcap, but if anyone else can help me out please please holler, my only problem is I have very little cash (have been so lucky so far with pricings and people also kindly donating/loaning)...3 year old little boys eat my money up!
It's all still so new to me so am really trying to research, listen to people, read etc as much as I can. All help from people is greatly appreciated. I'll be doing civvie in Weymouth with Jenny White and am looking forward to meeting lots of new people. We travel down to my folks next Thursday, I'll be thinking of everyone in France, wish I could have been coming.

the other hats are daisy maes and jeep caps and one other that I don't recognise. In the photo it just says under "nurse tend to patients for Army photographer" in France. It doesn't state what unit it is either, but the book is about Frances Slanger in Normandy. Not started reading it yet, still reading US uniforms of WWII and "and if I perish".....ah I love going to bed at the minute with my books.....bless.

lisa

[color=#0000FF]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next