WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 15:02 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: The Duxford Diary
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 16:15 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
I recently acquired a copy of this book in a charity shop, £2.49 p, which was rather pleasing as looking on Amazon it can go for £20 ish .. !!

I am sure some of you will know of it, and possibly own a copy too, but out of interest to others maybe I will just say it was first published in 1945 for issue to US airmen serving at Duxford to take home with them as a memento of their stay at Duxford and the UK.
There are some amazing and interesting pictures and stories in the book and for anyone interested in the USAAF something well worth having in a collection or library.

It was first printed in 1945 by W. Heffer & Sons for American Units stationed at Duxford.
Then reprinted in 1975 for the East Anglian Aviation Society ..
.. and reprinted again in 1989 by Black Bear Press for the Duxford Aviation Society with a forward by Marshall of the RAF, Sir John Grandy ( this is the copy I have) ..
I would love to have a first edition, but I bet it would cost a bit more than £2.49 p :)

The Duxford Diary 1942 - 1945, Printed in 1989 by the Black Bear Press, Cambridge England

There is no ISBN number, sorry

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duxford-Diary- ... ford+diary

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username