WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 23:00 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: identity card codes
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 18:38 pm 

I`ve done a search on here but couldn`t find much on the identity card codes. After a few days nosing around I think I`ve cracked a bit of the information.
As most will know there was a four letter 'area enumeration district code', followed by a numbered schedule code, and then a number relating to the persons position in the family.
It`s the four letter and the schedule code which had me a bit stumped. There is a list of area codes but they are 3 letters here.... http://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/1939-register-enumeration-districts
The area code on the card I now believe is broken down into the first 2 letters of the area code, and the second 2 letters may relate to the street. Unfortunately I know of no list online which gives the codes for streets.
The schedule code is the specific number entered alongside the households entry in the 1939 registration paper, which would maybe relate to a specific house number.
If I had been alive during the war my card would have read ' WHxx xx 3', The x`s being the unknowns (street, and schedule number) which I can`t possibly know.
Here`s a copy of the registration paper showing the ED and schedule number boxes.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: identity card codes
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 18:59 pm 

Group: On Parade & The Law at War
Since no one else seems to have commented - I'm going to say - excellent find and brilliant info! Now I need to redo my ID card with the correct codes on!

Many thanks for this find :-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 16:56 pm 

A slight update on this as it needs correcting.
This from the National Archives blog....
Quote:
The National Register identity numbers issued by enumerators comprised an area code, denoted by four letters, then two numbers, in the format ABCD 123:4. The first three letters were the area code, starting with AAA in the City of London, and ending with ZZJ in Radnorshire. The fourth letter represented the enumeration district, and the two numbers were the household schedule, followed by the person’s position in the household.

Still none the wiser on the enumeration district single letters. (I used the last letter of my postcode)
For the sake of reenactment, I suspect that a random number could be used in place of the household schedule number. (I used my house number)
My current ID card number would now be WAPU 56 1

If filling out the cards for a family, the cards would all carry the same number except for the last digit (persons position in household)

Last edited by slick63 on Tue May 28, 2019 17:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:01 am 

Group: On Parade
I always assumed that the fourth letter was just locally allocated, as the survey was conducted. If that information was kept it may be with your local records office. Where I live very little of the local civil defence records were kept.
For those of us that live in older houses built before the second world war, you can just call up the register and find the actual schedule number.

All the best,
Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 20:17 pm 

The fourth letter would`ve been specific to a certain district, so yes I would think the local council would number each of their districts how they saw fit. .
My current dwelling wasn`t built until `59 so I have to use my imagination :)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 17:19 pm 

I`ve made up this little diagram to make it easier to fill out the card. The diagram is for the 1940 card, the 1943 on cards have the name spaces in a different position.