WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:31 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 18:17 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Anyone ever heard of possibly large calibre naval guns deployed to sites around London?

A while back I found a story about one in Bromley (??), manned by the Home Guard. It was in a park somewhere...

These were artillery, not AA...

Anyone got a clue?

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 19:13 pm 

I have the book, " Gunners At War" by Peter Mead, and I don't know if its what you need to know, The Boche Buster a 18inch railway gun of the 1914-18 war, used in 1942 by 11th Super Heavy Battery at Bishopsbourne , there are others mentioned around the Dover area.

Gerwyn

the British Empire at present covers a quarter of the globe, while the German Empire consists of a small sausage factory in Tanganiki. Black Adder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:08 am 
4000+ Poster

I know all about the cross channel guns (Scene Shifter, Winnie, Pooh etc), but they weren't in South London :D

This was definitely South London somewhere, which is why it was unusual.

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 14:36 pm 

Hi Andy

I was going to say try Firepower The Royal Artillery Museum in Woolwich but its closed down :cry: , you could try link, if you get no help on forum, all the best.

Gerwyn

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... DVYWZtf1GF

the British Empire at present covers a quarter of the globe, while the German Empire consists of a small sausage factory in Tanganiki. Black Adder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 15:38 pm 

2 more possible sources of information:-

https://collections.royalarmouries.org/#/archives

http://www.iwm.org.uk/research/research-facilities

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 16:24 pm 
1000+ Poster

Both the 4.5" and 5.25" AA Guns were derived from Naval Guns and were used on Ships during WW2.
This is the most likely explanation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QF_5.25_inch_gun

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QF_4.5-in ... _naval_gun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 20:19 pm 

Group: Civil Defenders
During the Blitz my dad was in charge of 54th HAA battery (at Putney I believe) which had 4 x 3.7 and 4 x 4.5 Ack Ack guns. Like this: http://media.iwm.org.uk/ciim5/40/371/mid_000000.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:59 am 
4000+ Poster

I'm sure it was bigger than a 5.25"... I want to say it was 10"?

Owen, 3.7 and 4.5 are standard British AA of the time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:09 pm 
1000+ Poster

I can't imagine a Naval Gun over 5.25" being deployed unless a Railway Gun of which there were many in different calibres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1FD3yXEkzc

Army Guns of the period would have been 7.2", 8" and 5" (60 Pounder). The Wiltshire Home Guard some how acquired one of the latter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:50 pm 
4000+ Poster

No, definitely not railway mounted.

It was in a park!

And I wouldn't have thought it was "current" Army issue either as it was HG crewed. Fairly sure it was described as ex-naval.