WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 16:57 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:00 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: WW2 Tommies
Hi guys,
Sorry to ask, as I'm sure I'm not the first, but how do the M42 Jumpsuits sold by Barry Lyndom hold up authenticity wise?

I did try searhing both for 'Barry M42', 'Asian M42', 'Spearhead jumpsuits', and so on, as well as checking the first few pages of the Airborne section so please don't get too upset with me for asking.

Regards
KB

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 20:53 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

I got my jump suit last week, and unfortunately it was a bit on the big side.

Perhaps I should just have returned it, but instead I tried washing it so see if it would shrink.......no such luck though!

Does it need a hotter wash? Tumble drying? Or should I just try and sell it on and then get one in the correct size?

Regards
KB

Doing an Airborne impression? Want to try jumping out of an original C-47?

http://www.wwiiadt.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 21:08 pm 
4000+ Poster

KB Martinsen wrote:
I got my jump suit last week, and unfortunately it was a bit on the big side.

Perhaps I should just have returned it, but instead I tried washing it so see if it would shrink.......no such luck though!

Does it need a hotter wash? Tumble drying? Or should I just try and sell it on and then get one in the correct size?

Regards
KB

Whatever you do DO NOT try a hot wash.

I bought one which was surprise surprise too big despite giving measurements(Not by Barry i must add-another HK seller)which seems to be a common problem with HK sellers.
Decided to try to shrink on a hot wash and it came out ruined :cry: :cry: .Colours had run off the reinforcing bits and turned the surrounding fabric a nice lime green colour!!!!.

Not sure if same as Barrys ones but mine had a RAINBOW CO makers label on them.

Be very careful with them if you do give it a try :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 21:12 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Thanks for the tip, I'll avoid the hot wash then!

Post subject: Re: Barry Lyndon M42s
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:55 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: GI44-45
KB Martinsen wrote:
Hi guys,
Sorry to ask, as I'm sure I'm not the first, but how do the M42 Jumpsuits sold by Barry Lyndom hold up authenticity wise?

I did try searhing both for 'Barry M42', 'Asian M42', 'Spearhead jumpsuits', and so on, as well as checking the first few pages of the Airborne section so please don't get too upset with me for asking.

Regards
KB

We bought a few of these to use for tactical & training days and found them to be pretty useless. The jackets are too short (by about 4 inches) the material is not very tough and ripped under the slightest strain - other than that if you want a cheap M42 for diving into mud with they are okay! Stick to 'At the Front'! More expensive but well worth the spend!

regards
Vic

GI44-45

'Ours is to do or die not question how or why!'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 16:31 pm 
4000+ Poster

jojessholli wrote:
KB Martinsen wrote:
Hi guys,

Regards
KB

We bought a few of these to use for tactical & training days and found them to be pretty useless. The jackets are too short (by about 4 inches) the material is not very tough and ripped under the slightest strain - other than that if you want a cheap M42 for diving into mud with they are okay! Stick to 'At the Front'! More expensive but well worth the spend!

regards
Vic

Vic,were they labeled RAINBOW CO as a different HK sellers suits?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 16:38 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

The only labels I could find on mine were the fake QM's labels.

As to the length of the jacket, according to the M42 Jump Suit sizing (for dummies) thread on the US forum: http://ww2reenactors.proboards35.com/in ... 1141028337 mine should be okay.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 16:50 pm 
jojessholli wrote:
KB Martinsen wrote:
Hi guys,

Regards
KB

regards
Vic

As Vic said, ATF are the only ones worth buying. period. The HK ones are pretty naff.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 17:57 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

lipton wrote:
jojessholli wrote:
KB Martinsen wrote:
Hi guys,

Regards
KB

regards
Vic

Cheers

Lipton - there are only the fake wartime labels in them - I think 90% are made by one manufacturer so if you had yours from China then its probably the same.

Regards
Vic

PS Not all jackets were small but about 50% out of 12 purchased - so I guess it depends on which batch you get yours from as to wether or not its the right length.

GI44-45

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 18:00 pm 
4000+ Poster

jojessholli wrote:
lipton wrote:
jojessholli wrote:
KB Martinsen wrote:
Hi guys,

Regards
KB

regards
Vic

Cheers

Lipton - there are only the fake wartime labels in them - I think 90% are made by one manufacturer so if you had yours from China then its probably the same.

Regards
Vic

PS Not all jackets were small but about 50% out of 12 purchased - so I guess it depends on which batch you get yours from as to wether or not its the right length.

Have seen 2 different fake labels in these HK/Chinise repros so was wondering what the differences might have been :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 19:48 pm 

Group: 2nd Armored in Europe
The Barry Lyndon ones are the lighter colour washed out ones. I don't recommend them for our group because of their colour.

As a preference, we use the earlier "browner" batches of HK/Chinese jumpsuits, as still sold through SoF etc, but work on changing any copper press-studs for blackened brass ones and properly sewing the reinforcements. Oh, and sewing the crotch with more than one line of thread to prevent blow-outs!!!

These are still the ones that look the best, unless you're forking out for ATF.

Cheers,
Glen.

Look Out Below! : http://www.look-out-below.co.uk/

"The only thing stopping you, is you"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 19:50 pm 
2000+ Poster

These particular jump suits are the opposite end of the spectrum to other bad ones i think. In the past jump suits have been slated as too strong in color, too green etc, but these ones there's too little color. It's not TERRIBLE but they're just to bland in color. The colour of the reinforcing is good, but the jackets bare serious size problems not only in fit but in details such as the epilets and the pockets. On original jackets the pockets are, by comparison, huge and on these they're just too small.

Bez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 20:50 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

I wish you had all answered when I first posted the question, I could have saved my money, and bought somewhere else instead!

KB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 21:17 pm 

Group: 2nd Armored in Europe
Sorry mate - don't remember seeing this post first time around, otherwise I would have done.

Cheers,
Glen.

Look Out Below! : http://www.look-out-below.co.uk/

"The only thing stopping you, is you"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:25 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

KB Martinsen wrote:
I wish you had all answered when I first posted the question, I could have saved my money, and bought somewhere else instead!

KB

Sorry my friend - I never saw the posting till the other day.

GI44-45

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:14 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Just out of curiosity has anyone seen what the overseas imported M42's are like that ATF are selling? Not their own ones the foriegn ones.

GI44-45

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next