WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:54 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: US Jump Wings Question
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 16:41 pm 
1000+ Poster

I know that not many US Paratroopers made 5 Combat Jumps during the war, but I'm trying to clear something up and can't find any info anywhere.

Would a Sicily, Italy, D-Day, Mkt Gdn and Varsity veteran wear 4 combat stars and an arrowhead? or just one large gold star? As I can't find any info on when the large gold star was introduced.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 16:56 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA member no 10
Criteria: Awarded to soldiers who have previously earned the Basic Parachutist Badge and simultaneously complete one airborne jump into a combat zone. Soldiers qualifying for one of the various combat parachutist badges wear their parachutist badge upgraded with the requisite number of bronze stars attached to the decoration. Each combat jump is denoted by one star on the badge. A soldier previously qualifying for the Basic Parachutist Badge, for example, who thereafter completes a single jump into combat, would wear the "Basic Combat Parachutist Badge (One Jump)" award. Upon completion of a second jump into combat, the award would be upgraded to the "Two Jump" variation. This would work similarly for the Senior or Master versions. The Basic, Senior, and Master Combat Parachutist Badges can each be upgraded to One, Two, Three, Four, and Five star versions. The following shows the orientation of the ascension of stars: One combat jump - A bronze star centered on the shroud lines below the canopy; Two combat jumps - A bronze star on the base of each wing; Three combat jumps - A bronze star on the base of each wing and one star centered on the shroud lines below the canopy; Four combat jumps - Two bronze stars on the base of each wing; Five combat jumps - A single gold star centered on the shroud lines below the canopy. Stars representing participation in combat jumps had been worn unofficially on parachute wings during and after World War II, which was not officially sanctioned until 1983.

Private When i said there was a camel close by for you to ride i meant you could ride it into town !!!!!!!!!

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

http://vietnamreenactors.myfastforum.org

http://vietnamuk.moonfruit.com