WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:12 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 17:34 pm 

I've been really interested in doing a Polish Cavalry impression for the last few months now, after I got an original adrian helmet shell (which I plan on restoring when I have the time), and I recently got a hold of some books on the uniform and equipments that I ordered from Poland.

Even though I can't read Polish, I mainly bought them for the visual references on webbing order etc. - and also to test ordering from allegro. What I was wondering was that were the garrison jackets (the tunics with regimental pennants on the collar) ever worn during combat, or were they strictly used for parade purposes like (I assume) the garrison rogatywka? If the plain collar jacket was only used, was it the same as those issued to regular Polish infantry - and if not, what differences?

I'm in no rush for replies as I'm quite a while away from actually starting my impression, but any information would be fantastic. :)

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 20:51 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Poland '39 LHG; Odwach Polish army of 1939-1945
Good evening KvL!

Great to hear that someone else has been bitten by the Polish army of 1939 bug too - I have been collecting bits for the last 10 years, and am waiting for my third uniform to come from Poland at the moment (infantry I'm afraid!) Those look like great books - where did you get them from if you don't mind me asking? (Although re-reading your post I assume Allegro!)

Yes, you are finding the main problem for English speaking reenactors who wish to do Polish army - the majority of the reference material is in Polish! However, as you rightly say, there are usually a great deal of photo's in the books, and some of those I have also have English notes for the pics too. A good book that I have is this - http://odk.pl/kawaleria-samodzielna-wojska-polskiego-w-bitwie-nad-bzura-1939,2145.html which has English titles for the pics, and a great deal of info about the Polish cavalry at the Battle of Bzura.

OK - your main question. If the cavalry were the same as the infantry, then the jackets worn for garrison and parade use are exactly the same as that worn for combat - the only difference was that all regimental markings were removed, which included the collar pennants. This was to stop the enemy knowing which units they were fighting against. For the most part the army used a linen uniform (the Drelich - drill) for drill and combat training. It was also to be used for summer combat, while the woollen uniform was for winter combat and parade. (The fact that the German and Soviet invasion in September 1939 came at the time that the Polish army was changing uniforms from summer to winter explains the photos of prisoners wearing a mix of Drelich and wool - often on the same person!)

Having had a look through the above book, yes, it does appear that the cavalry did wear the same tunic as the infantry - the wz. 36 (model 36) woollen tunic. The trousers were different, as the cavalry wore the wz. 31 leather reinforced breeches, with high leg riding boots.

Whereabouts are you - in the UK? If you would like any further help, I have contacts in Poland who may be able to help when you do wish to get going on your impression! I can PM you my e-mail address and get you started! I have another prospective Polish soldier who is in the process of ordering his woollen uniform from here - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mundury- ... 0371160957 (on Facebook I'm afraid, but I have a group page on there too, just to keep in touch!) He luckily has a Polish girlfriend who has done most of the translation for him! I have a good group of friends who, if I am after bits from Poland, they can usually find them - and not at bad prices!

Hope to hear from you soon - all the best!

Paul B

Poland - first to fight!

Member of Poland '39 LHG & Odwach - 1939 Polish army

https://www.facebook.com/Poland1939
http://www.odwach.pl/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:56 pm 

Thanks for information (and the book recommendation)!

Unfortunately, I am definitely a while away from starting my impression. I am planning to - hopefully - at least start on it by this winter/early next year. I am currently only doing WW2 airsoft right now, but I hope at some point in the near future I can get started, or at least try, reenactment as it has always been something that has interested me. The reason for my delay in starting the impression is the need for a suitable weapon, as a company is yet to produce an authentic airsoft replica of the Polish Mauser carbine used by the cavalry (shocking - I know :roll: ), I am planning to get a Kar98k as a stand in - which will also be useful with my German kit.

I live currently up in the west of Scotland, and I already have enough trouble as it is with transport, it will be a little bit before I can get to any events proper.

However, as soon as I am ready to start getting the kit, I'll contact you. Thanks again for the advice!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 18:15 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Yes, suitable Polish weapons are difficult to find - I have a de-act Kar98k which I use on display. It is dated 1938, so I can say that I 'got it off a dead German' if anyone asks!

I will PM you my e-mail address - I am usually on here pretty regularly but, just in case I don't see you put something on here, you can always drop me an e-mail with any questions you have! It also means that, if you do want to start buying items from Poland, I can put you in touch with some of my Polish friends, and they can do any translating that is needed!

Best of luck and hope to meet at a show some time in the future!

Poland - first to fight!

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:19 am 
 WWW  Profile

Group: "Tobie Ojczyzno"
To answer original question, tunics worn by cavalry and infantry were identical and when worn in the field only rank was worn.
In summer cavalry wore only linen tunics, while riding trousers were still woolen.
Garrrison rogatywkas were not worn in the field, only soft field rogatywkas or side caps, for combat steel helmet should be worn.
Rifles used by cavalry were based on German WWI short rifle Kar. 98 AZ, and are allmost identical.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 18:30 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Dziękuję bardzo Przemek - always good to have confirmation!

Poland - first to fight!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 19:59 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: "Tobie Ojczyzno"
You are welcome Paul, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.