WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:59 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 19:17 pm 
4000+ Poster

Just want to back up what Mike has said about the above.Watched this with no subtitles(admitidly my Polish is getting better ) and have never laughed so hard in my life.Full of classic moments,the escape scene in episode 1 through a shower block,the best physical comedy since Buster Keaton.An ingenious use of a toilet brush,a false name that has taken me nearly 6 months to be able to pronounce and among many many more classic scenes one that will tickle the fancy of us brits,an encounter in the western desert with Tea drinking tommies :)
kai.
ps and a very catchy theme tune that gets double takes from Poles living around here now.

War,huh,what is it good for? Absolutly nothin'.......but some jolly good films

. -. --. .-.. .- -. -.. / . -..- .--. . -.-. - ... / . ...- . .-. -.-- -- .- -. / - --- / -.. --- / .... .. ... / -.. ..- - -.--

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 20:50 pm 

Group: "Odwach" The Polish Army 1939-1945
kostya wrote:
a false name that has taken me nearly 6 months to be able to pronounce

You mean Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz? :wink: :lol:

kostya wrote:
an encounter in the western desert with Tea drinking tommies

...and the scene when they stopped everything for drinking tea :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 20:56 pm 
 WWW  Profile

And: "You bloody Macaroni!" or "Si, si, sinior tenente, bordello militare!".
And all the girls go: "Oh, Madonna mia, Inglesi!!!"

P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 16:53 pm 

My Wife and I were in Krakow in November last year, and whilst there we watched a film crew making a second world war movie. There were loads of Russian soldiers marching through the street adjacent to the Cathedral in the Town Square. Artificial snow machines were blasting out freezing cold lumps of ice
It turns out that the film is Andrzej Wajda's latest production. I believe it was to be called Post Mortem, and it draws it's storyline from the Katyn massacre.
The shooting was about forty yards from the apartment we had rented.
Looking forward to the movie :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 21:21 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Poland '39 LHG; Odwach Polish army of 1939-1945
Well I thought that, as I started this thread originally, then I would post some follow up here!

I have fairly recently finished watching all of Four Tankmen and a Dog, and I loved the whole series! Yes, I can only imagine that it is like the life of a soldier - slow bits, enjoyable bits, funny bits, exciting bits, dangerous bits happy bits and sad bits - but put it together and it makes for a great TV show! For anyone with the remotest interest in WW2 from the Polish side of things (and the Red Army even gets a look-in on occasions too!) I would highly reccomend this!

Poland - first to fight!

Member of Poland '39 LHG & Odwach - 1939 Polish army

https://www.facebook.com/Poland1939
http://www.odwach.pl/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 22:09 pm 
 WWW  Profile

"Katyn" is about to be out. On Sep 21st, I think.
"Four tankmen..." is allright, good laugh sometimes. Reccomendable, yet not as a history reference ;)

P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 18:11 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Czesc Pawel!

Yes, having just come back from Poznan there were posters on bus and tram shelters with posters for Katyn everywhere, and it was a common news item too. I do not think that my Polish will be up to seeing at the cinema though, so I will have to wait until it comes out on DVD and hope that it has English subtitles (although I MUST learn more Polish if I am to attend more events in Poland! :? )

As for 4 Tankmen - I would agree that it is not really historically accurate, but it is a good program anyway!

I have also bought my own copy of "Jak rozpetalem druga wojne swiatowa" whilst in Poznan - although I chickened out and Mikolaj helped me find a copy with English subtitles! I am looking forward to watching this too!

Poland - first to fight!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 20:07 pm 
4000+ Poster

If you find the subtitles let me know how you did it P',my copy claims to have them but dosnt :evil:
k,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

. -. --. .-.. .- -. -.. / . -..- .--. . -.-. - ... / . ...- . .-. -.-- -- .- -. / - --- / -.. --- / .... .. ... / -.. ..- - -.--

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 18:17 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Will have a check over the next few days Kai and will let you know - but, from what I remember you are looking for 'Ustawienie' and, when I looked at some of my copy at Mikes, it was showing on there. Unfortunatly, my copy is not with me at the moment!

Poland - first to fight!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:57 am 
4000+ Poster

Bumped up with some links to you tube ;
Westerplatte(1967 so comes with communist censorship/story slanting warning)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFLB9j5LGVo
A documentry style retelling of the famous battle of Westerplatte,the opening battle of WW2,where the german battleship shells the Polish garrison near Gadansk/danzig.(reenactors bit....The Polish kit and equipment looks spot on to me,theoutdoor set is an exact copy of(or maybe,but i doubt is) the garrison and its surrounds at westerplatte,as for the german kit,it looks OK to me,not horrendous and glaringly wrong with nice use of mp38(bergman stylee) types rather than mp 40s. being black and white good use is sometimes made of origional footage ,for example using the footage of the actual shlisweig holstein
,but dont look too closley at the (empty)bomb racks of the attacking Stukas ;) )

Katyn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM1zyQ_zffM
Very moving and authentic telling of the story of some of those involved and affected by the Katyn massacre and the follow up events.
(reenactor bit. On the whole visualy this looks amazingly authentic. Polish kit looks great,Russian kit same,although there are a lot of the very very pale blue topped NKVD hats only seen in eastern european war films.)

more to come as I find them on line,with subs :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:27 am 

Some good Polish war films:

Orzel - story of Polish submarine ORP Orzel
Hubal - Polish cavalry 1939 and first partisan unit 1939-40
Lotna - Polish cavalry 1939
Wielka Droga - Polish film done by 2nd Corps film unit, film about Poles from Siberia to Monte Cassino
Daleka Jest Droga - Story of a 1st Armoured Div officer who is trying to decide what to do in 1946, whether to go back to Scotland or Poland
Akcja pod Arsenalem - Polish Home Army/Boy Scouts attack on Gestapo convoy to rescue captured friend
Pogranicze w Ogniu - great series on the Polish Intel section 1918-1939(I always wished they showed a 3rd series on 1939-45)
Virtuti - film about a reserve 2nd Lt. trying to break through to his unit in 1939

Do Krwi Ostatniej - Poles in Russia, Battle of Lenino(nice battle scenes, not a bad story, just don't buy the propaganda...) my great uncle was too late to join 2nd Corps unlike his brothers and was at Lenino and did not mind the film.