WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 13:44 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:31 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: Oh, God, pretty much everyone it seems
...and need a lot of help.

The only problem my knowledge is less extensive than the wikipedia entry on the Red Fleet during World War II (three lines!)

Can anyone help me with the uniform worn during the second world war, preferably for a bog standard sailor serving in the Black Sea (my current thinking is posted to the Molotov)? Is any post war stuff appropriate?

All I know so far from reading this forum is that the caps and tallies are different and that the stripey shirt is the same as the modern one. Square rigging, on the other hand, I know nothing about!

This is sort of a long term project (I have one or two impressions I want to do which are higher up on the list :) ), but it's best to collect the information early!

NATIVE: Those are the sacred pyramids where my ancestors are buried.
BRITISH OFFICER: Cool. There any kinda zombie curse or anything we should know about? I mean, I want to pillage'em, but I don't want to cause no problems.
NATIVE: Our people lie merely asleep in their graves, waiting to shriek forth and bring agonising death to any who would dare disturb their peace.
BRITISH OFFICER: Be serious.
NATIVE: ...in truth the curse is probably apocryphal.
BRITISH OFFICER: Wicked. Carter, bust out the Gatling guns! I want to be revered as a God by teatime.

True story

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 16:42 pm 
5000+ Poster

Location: Performing my Internationalist Duty in the People's Democratic Republic of Felixstan
The square rig is slight ydifferent to the later Soviet stuff. The things which spring to mind are obviously the insignia but additionally the buttons... all buttons should be brass...

I've got some photos of original GPW issue Red Fleet gear in one of my books - does Shalito have any in his too? If so, thats the best source.

I don't think it would be that hard to piece together - take the later issue Soviet uniform and rebadge/rebutton it. The biggest problem is that of the donald duck... the smaller wartime style ones are VERY hard to come by...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 16:49 pm 

Good afternoon comrade. All the postwar uniform is easily converted to a wartime except the cap which has a narrower brim. Early postwar 50's are acceptable. The uniform changed slightly throughout the war. Early uniforms having red stars sewn onto the cuffs. Later war had the introduction of square shoulder boards. sewn in. and the cuff stars discontinued. Strippy shirts be careful you need the dark blue, the light blue stripped shirts are for paratroops. If you see stuff for sale on the net drop me a pm and I'll advise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 16:53 pm 
5000+ Poster

Location: Performing my Internationalist Duty in the People's Democratic Republic of Felixstan
I actually saw some brass naval buttons for sale the other day... almost fell off my chair!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 17:27 pm 
2000+ Poster

Group: За Оборону и В.И.К "Патриот"
Woah! Unicorn droppings!

"Nineteen hundred and forty-six. Nineteen forty-six, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 17:58 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: Oh, God, pretty much everyone it seems
I've managed to find some Brass Navy Buttons (only 2!) on the net.

Not giving out the URL incase someone nabs them :lol:

Are there any more easily available caps that one can convert?

NATIVE: Those are the sacred pyramids where my ancestors are buried.
BRITISH OFFICER: Cool. There any kinda zombie curse or anything we should know about? I mean, I want to pillage'em, but I don't want to cause no problems.
NATIVE: Our people lie merely asleep in their graves, waiting to shriek forth and bring agonising death to any who would dare disturb their peace.
BRITISH OFFICER: Be serious.
NATIVE: ...in truth the curse is probably apocryphal.
BRITISH OFFICER: Wicked. Carter, bust out the Gatling guns! I want to be revered as a God by teatime.

True story

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 19:24 pm 
5000+ Poster

Nope, the Donald Ducks are of quite complex construction.... I used to know someone who was pretty handy at making stuff who decided it was too tricky...

The 50's ones are perfectly ok tho... mind you those are as hard to find!

Somewhere I did a comparison photo to show the differences....