WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 17:22 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 15:11 pm 
1000+ Poster

The REME Museum needs help identifying this item. Carried by an Airborne REME soldier in 1944, but no-one seems to know what it is.
Don't ask for more details - the pic is all I've got.
Any thoughts...?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Speculation is the secret vice of every history buff and...is unavoidable when passing judgements - Stephen E Ambrose
'It was noticeable that spirits were of the highest order whenever a mess tin of tea was being heated up' - S/Sgt Victor Miller, Glider Pilot Regiment.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:43 am 

laboisselle wrote:
The REME Museum needs help identifying this item. Carried by an Airborne REME soldier in 1944, but no-one seems to know what it is.
Don't ask for more details - the pic is all I've got.
Any thoughts...?

I'm no engineer, but I had a quick search and found two images that show what might be similar (circled). Although the museum one appears to be missing it's wooden spindle, if it is the same thing.

Again I'm not sure what it is, there's a remote chance that it might be det cord of some description. I only base that on the content of the pictures.

Happy to be corrected by someone more knowledgeable.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:52 am 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
I'd suggest if the museum wants help identifying something then they should release more than just one picture?
Animal vegetable or mineral would be a start.

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 13:16 pm 

Group: Pattern 37 ,Belgium
detonation cord?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 16:52 pm 

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
Pegasus44 wrote:
I'm no engineer, but I had a quick search and found two images that show what might be similar (circled).

HQsignals wrote:
detonation cord?

Doesn't look like any form of det' cord I've seen - certainly not yellow rectangular profile flat stuff, and not really be allowable for a member of the REME to hold on to it! They're meant to repair things anyway - not blow htings up :wink:
As posted in the other version of this thread (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91754&p=996287&hilit=reme#p996287), it looks to me very much like rattan strip, for repairing wicker panniers.