WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:58 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 23:29 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Have seen mention of these on documentation for the WS38 and WS18 sets. I've not seen any pictures of them but I assume they are something like a knurled screw nut to connect a loose aerial wire from an aerial base to a radio set?

Thanks,

Paul.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 19:12 pm 

Group: Pattern 37 ,Belgium
Never heard of these before,but perhaps a device to match the antenna's impedance to the input impedance of the receiver?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 20:36 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Perhaps, but wouldnt the impedances be matched within the aerial connection wire itself?

Theres mention of the WS38 adaptor on the "Airborne Station" instruction card. I know an adaptor also exists for the WS18 set as it slots into the brass collar on the back of the morse key.

Paul.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 0:02 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: Summer of 44 LHG, 1st Airlanding Light Regt RA
I have one. May be able to dig it out and take a photo next week if anyone wants.

Tim

1942 M3A1 White Scout Car
1942 M4A4 VC Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:08 am 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Please Tim, would be much appreciated :)

Paul.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 14:18 pm 
 YIM  Profile

Hi Tim,

I am also very interested this adaptor for WS38. I've never seen it. Standart wire antena (aerials 25ft No1 ZA 0227) not fit into aerial socket in WS38.

Robert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 17:12 pm 
1000+ Poster

Aerial adaptor from socket on my WS18 morse key.

Tim

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1942 M3A1 White Scout Car
1942 M4A4 VC Firefly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 18:32 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Hi Tim,

Thats excellent, just what I needed :D Least now I know exactly what to look out for.

I take it that the square base has a circular recess to accept the circular knurled section, and the threaded centre passes through the knurled section straight down to the square base? The knurled section then can spin up and down, exposing the slots cut into the 4 sides of the square base so a wire can be inserted and the knurled section spun down into the recess, locking the wire in place?

Is the adaptor anything similar for the WS38 set do you know?

Thanks,

Paul.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 18:59 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Robspad wrote:
Hi Tim,

I am also very interested this adaptor for WS38. I've never seen it. Standart wire antena (aerials 25ft No1 ZA 0227) not fit into aerial socket in WS38.

Robert

Robert,

I have exactly the same problem with my 25ft aerial. It will not fit into either the large or small sockets on the WS38, or the single socket on the WS18 set. Even through the plug on the aerial seems to be the original one, and fits nicely in the hole to retain it on the wooden card.

Paul.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 14:58 pm 
1000+ Poster

commando sniper wrote:
Robspad wrote:
Hi Tim,

Robert

Robert,

I have exactly the same problem with my 25ft aerial. It will not fit into either the large or small sockets on the WS38, or the single socket on the WS18 set. Even through the plug on the aerial seems to be the original one, and fits nicely in the hole to retain it on the wooden card.

Paul.

Paul

On the WS18 do you have the aerial socket adaptor which plugs into the aerial socket to allow you to use the F type whip aerials (WS38 aerials) with the WS18? From memory, I think for the WS18 you need this adapter to be able to plug the wire aerial into the WS18 (can check when I get the set out again).

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 14:59 pm 
1000+ Poster

commando sniper wrote:
Hi Tim,

I take it that the square base has a circular recess to accept the circular knurled section, and the threaded centre passes through the knurled section straight down to the square base? The knurled section then can spin up and down, exposing the slots cut into the 4 sides of the square base so a wire can be inserted and the knurled section spun down into the recess, locking the wire in place?

Paul

Correctly observed.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 15:05 pm 
1000+ Poster

commando sniper wrote:
Hi Tim,

Is the adaptor anything similar for the WS38 set do you know?

Paul.

Paul

Not sure... I will check my manuals... I had thought my wire aerial plugged into the top of the set.

Considering how small (easy to get lost) the adapter is, I'd be suprised if it was used with the WS38 since there's no place to securely store the adapter.

NB - The WS46 has a small pocket inside the carrier for the aerial adapter and I would have thought something similar would exist somewhere for such an adapter were one used on the WS38.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 21:02 pm 

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
Robspad wrote:
Standart wire antena (aerials 25ft No1 ZA 0227) not fit into aerial socket in WS38.

For everyone who is still interested in this topic of conversation, there was more than one version of 25ft wire aerial in use, so if you are trying to gain a complete 'set' of WS18 equipment, make sure you've acquired the correct "Aerial, 25ft":

ZA00227 - Aerial, 25ft, No.1 - For WS18 (all Mks)
ZA(?????) - Aerial, 25ft, No.2 - For WS78

Also, people mentioning trying to connect their 25ft wire to their WS38. The standard wire aerial for the WS38 was 45ft long, not 25ft!

ZA26206 - Aerial, 45ft, No.2 - For WS38 MkI and MkII
ZA26774 - Aerial, 45ft, No.3 - For WS38 MkIII

Also, there was a third 45ft long wire aerial in use at the time, but that was issued for the WS12 HP (High Power), so don't acquire this thinking it's for a WS38:

ZA16337 - Aerial, 45ft, No.1 - For WS21

Last edited by McVickers on Fri May 29, 2015 19:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 21:09 pm 

Group: Pattern 37 ,Belgium
commando sniper wrote:
Perhaps, but wouldnt the impedances be matched within the aerial connection wire itself?

Theres mention of the WS38 adaptor on the "Airborne Station" instruction card. I know an adaptor also exists for the WS18 set as it slots into the brass collar on the back of the morse key.

Paul.

Not Always. If known lenghts of aerials are used with the wireless set they are mentionned for ,impedance is matched inside the wireless set. Otherwise, external matching might be needed with a 'random' wire aerial. (random = a lenght of wire which is not specifically made to be used with that wireless set).

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 22:00 pm 

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
Cut from hoseman's WANTED 4 PIECE AERIAL SET FOR No38 SET wanted post for retention of handy information, before the wanted post dissapears

pegasus-drive wrote:
My understanding is push together are british ,screw together are canadian.

Correct :D

hoseman wrote:
LeMaitre wrote:
Why not search the site and find out?
They have a search box, put 'spike' in that and see what comes up.

Thanks
Found them

Appreciated for help gents.

Paul

The only earthing spike they have on their website is this: http://www.sentimentaljourney.co.uk/sj/ ... arth_spike
Which is one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171797532350
And is certainly nothing to do with a WS38 set-up (not to mention very post-war type), i.e: Save your money - don't buy it. Hope this message reaches you before you do.

Are you looking for the aerial base spike "Spike, Aerial" for use with the "Base, Aerial, No.11"?
Or the shorter earthing spike as used with line comms' (i.e: the same earthing spike carried in field telephones 'Straps, Carrying, F'), like you were asking about here (clickable)?
Neither of these items two items, just mentioned, were officially ever meant for use with the WS38 (all Mks).

I think the confusion arises where, in the collector and reenactment world, the 'Aerial, Rods, F' section are seen to be used by both the WS18 and the WS38 - which they were* - but there the similarity ends.
The 'Base, Aerial, No.11' was originally intended for use with mobile (I'm not talking AFV here, that's another subject and collection of aerial bases altogether!) WS19, WS21, WS22 and WS62, but did get used in WS18 kits, for which 'Base, Aerial, No.7' was originally designed for.
The ground wire aerials '[Ground] Aerial, 25ft, No.1' was for the WS18 only, the similar one which constantly gets mistaken for the 25ft wire ground aerial is the '[Ground] Aerial, 45ft, No.2' (for the WS38 Mk I and MkII) or the '[Ground] Aerial, 45ft, No.3' (for the WS38 MkIII)**. Naturally, through called "ground" aerials, they were used to be laid upon the ground (or even strung up in trees!) and so were not meant to be grounded by earth spikes. They could be used as an aerial out-rightly, using the screw terminal pin adapter in the aerial socket to allow a low profile to be kept, or they could be used to be attached to the "ground" terminal of the WS38 specific aerial adapter (which allowed both ground aerial and F-sections to be attached - to the WS38 'chassis ground' and aerial output, respectively) when the F section rods were being used, for the wire to provide a perceived transmission ground to create a crude di-pole aerial for better transception.

Hope this helps!

*3 sections - 1 of each lower ('Section No.1'), middle ('Section No.2') and upper ('Section No.3') for the WS18, and 4 sections - 1 lower ('Section No.1'), 1 middle ('Section No.2') and 2 upper ('Section No.3') for the WS38; though the WS38 operational instructions/kit list did originally specify only 3 as per WS18.

** The '[Ground] Aerial, 45ft, No.1' was for the WS21.