WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 17:10 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 19:52 pm 

Hi guys,

Does anyone know the proper names and codes for the bits that go with the WS38,

is there a proper designation for the:

headphones
throat mic
battery

and which spares would've been carried in the spares bag?

Many thanks guys

Mongo

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 21:24 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

If no one else jumps in befroe Mark I'll post this up tomorrow as I've got to head into the loft and bring mine down for a refurb.

Did you get the junction box with your purchase - I forget.

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 21:58 pm 

unfortunately not, but i'm aware the junction box i need is the number 2.

also know i need the:

satchel signals no1 (Spares)
satchel signals no2 (junction box and battery?, but what battery?)
type f aerials?
i've heard I need a battle aerial? not sure of the designation...

not sure what the proper mics, headphones etc I need are?
ta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 18:12 pm 

Group: 21 Army Group Provost Living History Society
Hopefully the attached files will upload OK, its a Complete Equipment Schedule Card for the WS38 Mk.II. If they don't upload, drop me a PM with your email address and I'll mail them to you.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 18:54 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Nice, Paul - not seen that one before. I've got the 'what you need and how to use it' ptrinted on tin plate somewhere with the illiustrations and schedule on but not the parts no.s.

Especially important with a second 38 set to refurbish and PMR up for this season.

Thanks for posting it up.

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 17:55 pm 

Cheers guys,

Really appreciate the help, unfortunately you've opened yourselves up to more questions!!

Was there much difference between the mkII and the mkII*? any difference in accessories etc too? ta

Mongo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 13:51 pm 
 YIM  Profile

Group: 44 RTR, 15 Recce
Here is a pic of one of my sets, "not showing my aerial case or aerials, spare handmic and headset"
Attachment:
f713_3.jpg

One from the net.
Attachment:
P1000840sm.jpg

You can get the aerial bags from Sentimental Journey, he also has some spares as well.

There is a gentleman on Ebay, from Italy that makes battery adapters for the WS38 set, you plug the 38 set into the adapter and use a modern battery.

Ebay user name Inverter45 "If you wish get your WS-38 RTX working, and your problem is the can't be found battery, this PSU, in addition to a 6.0 volts 10Ah gel sealed rechargeable accumulator ( not included ) will solve it. It is full plug and play, no soldering, no additional switch. Very higth yeld, low noise. Resuscitate and add value to your piece of history."

The battle aerial is on a board and it I remember correct it is like 15-25 meters and would be drug behind the radio, it is just a smaller size than the pic below.
Attachment:
Aerial-70ft-No1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 14:05 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Cheers Lance - that's my set as pictured - I've since lost the photos after a computer change so it's nice to see they're still out there somewhere :D

Good luck with it Mark - as per my PM, I'll help where I can

Paul

Now off to sort out the third WS38 the groups acquired in the last few days :roll:

Over here it's easier to run these suing (concelaed) PMR's than to use the current frequencies if you don't have an amateur radio licence.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 20:10 pm 

Group: 21 Army Group Provost Living History Society
Attached is a pic of the 38 Set Ground aerial on its board. The board is sitting on its web bag, which is slightly bigger than the aerial board, has a flap cover and two quick-release type buckles. It doesn't have any buckles for securing it to anything, it is more like an envelope in design. From memory I think the bag is dated 1944. I also believe that this type of aerial was not unique to the 38 set and was used with other sets also.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 17:04 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Summer of 44 LHG, 1st Airlanding Light Regt RA
My understanding is that the wire aerial was for use in a trench (also suitable for use with the WS18), or a location where an aerial rod (1, 2, or 3 F sections) would give the location away... the wire laid out in the direction you wanted to transmit/receive... but that this was NOT the Battle Aerial.

The Battle Aerial is a solid piece of F section (not the normal hollow tube) which would bend (within reason) but not snap off when used with the set during an assault or advance where close quarter comms was required (line of sight) with other platoons, thereby not warranting use of either the top F section from the 3 piece aerial, or indeed all 3 pieces of the F section aerial which were easily damaged and designed for use in a static position (also can be used with the WS18 and WS22 with the No 11 aerial base).

Ian Durrant at Sentimental Journey has (had?) some of these along with the regular F sections and the webbing aerial bags.

Happy to be corrected if anyone knows any different.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 18:32 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Ian's still got them at £25 a piece - as far as I know he IS the only game in town for those - unless someone tells me differently.

I know as I bought a couple off him on Friday.

Take care all

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 19:45 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

mark_palmer17 wrote:
Cheers guys,

Really appreciate the help, unfortunately you've opened yourselves up to more questions!!

Was there much difference between the mkII and the mkII*? any difference in accessories etc too? ta

Mongo

From what I can remember, the MkII has a test button on top of the set to make sure the internal circuitry is working correctly, the MkII* did away with this function.

My set is a MkII with the test light:

Not shown are the junction box, throat mic or various other bits I've found for it since (old photo)

Paul.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 17:41 pm 
 YIM  Profile

Avenger wrote:
My understanding is that the wire aerial was for use in a trench (also suitable for use with the WS18), or a location where an aerial rod (1, 2, or 3 F sections) would give the location away... the wire laid out in the direction you wanted to transmit/receive... but that this was NOT the Battle Aerial.

The Battle Aerial is a solid piece of F section (not the normal hollow tube) which would bend (within reason) but not snap off when used with the set during an assault or advance where close quarter comms was required (line of sight) with other platoons, thereby not warranting use of either the top F section from the 3 piece aerial, or indeed all 3 pieces of the F section aerial which were easily damaged and designed for use in a static position (also can be used with the WS18 and WS22 with the No 11 aerial base).

Ian Durrant at Sentimental Journey has (had?) some of these along with the regular F sections and the webbing aerial bags.

Happy to be corrected if anyone knows any different.

Tim

Tim, I think you are correct on the nomenclature for the battle aerial, I have one of the F sections that is not hollow and is like a whip antennae....I can't remember the name of the ones on the boards though...I think they were just referred to as horizontal aerials (whatever length), so the 38 set could use the small wire aerial slung between 2 trees or similar items..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 22:45 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Summer of 44 LHG, 1st Airlanding Light Regt RA
Red Devil wrote:
Avenger wrote:
The Battle Aerial is a solid piece of F section (not the normal hollow tube) which would bend (within reason) but not snap off when used with the set during an assault or advance where close quarter comms was required (line of sight) with other platoons.

Tim, I think you are correct on the nomenclature for the battle aerial, I have one of the F sections that is not hollow and is like a whip antennae....I can't remember the name of the ones on the boards though...I think they were just referred to as horizontal aerials (whatever length), so the 38 set could use the small wire aerial slung between 2 trees or similar items..

Red Devil

Whip Aerial... that's the one... couldnt think of the words to describe it properly before... Thanks.

On the boards...

The Aerial illustrated in a posting above on the board which is of BARE COPPER - ie not insulated, is a horizontal Aerial - without checking I think the one illustrated was 75ft... there being aerials on similar boards of varying length... which are designed to be put up in the air as horizontal aerials... and as you say, between two trees or similar items. These aerials can be used with anything... eg WS19, WS22, WS18, WS48, WS62 etc...

The Aerial illustrated in a posting above on the board which is RUBBER COVERED - ie insulated, is a ground aerial... normally around 25ft... and as described previously.

Nice WS38MK2 whos ever it was... all mine are 2* - however have my fill for the F Type container, so dont really want anymore, although an example of a Mk2 would be nice if one ever came up for sale!

Dont want one personally... but there's a nice looking WS38 MK3 in good condition advertised on Milweb at the moment...

http://www.milweb.net/classifieds.php?type=22

Regards

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:31 am 
 YIM  Profile

Hello Red Devil!
Can you send me a photo or scan (in a good quality) of the instruction card inside the spare valve case?
I would be very grateful.
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 21:14 pm 
 YIM  Profile

I will see what I can do on the spare case valves instructions , I will try and get a good pic/scan when I get back from the sandbox next week...