WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 20:52 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Royal Artillery Lanyard
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:36 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: AFRA, portray- RA AA gunner, 9th AF pilot
Good morning folks,

Quick question regarding the lanyard (and no, not after fairy tales regarding abandoning guns, the right shoulder etc etc!).

During WW2, For walking out, was the lanyard the 'straight' type or was it the 'platted, patterned' type?

I've seen somewhere that the lanyard was only platted following the war?

Maybe someone can clear this up?

Cheers

Adrian

Lance Bombardier Bryce R. Hollis 89 Bty, 35th LAA RA. Captured by Japanese on Java 8/3/42

1st Lt Delmore (Del) Meier, 314th TS, 31s TG, 9th USAAF. Flying C-47's from RAF Grove

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:03 pm 

Lanyards.— (a). When the revolver is carried officers wear a revolver lanyard round the neck.
(b). In 1900 officers wore a whistle attached to a blue silk lanyard. In 1902 the lanyard was drab to match service dress. Before 1933 it was replaced by a leather thong attached to the second button of the jacket.
(c). Other ranks wear a white plaited knife lanyard round the right shoulder. The knife goes into the right breast pocket. The knot used to go under the armpit but is now worn in line with the upper seam of the breast pocket. The R.H.A. wear a double lanyard. Prior to 1920 the lanyard was worn on the left shoulder and it was moved to the right at that time to allow the bandolier to go over the left shoulder. It was originally made of ordinary cord and was blancoed white for aesthetic purposes. doesnt really answer the question but its about all i can find have a look here for loads of great uniform answers http://www.thegarrison.org.uk/history/raUni.php

No mention of normal cord lanyards and the only photos i can find all show the knotted ones trouble is theres no dates on the pictures

Private When i said there was a camel close by for you to ride i meant you could ride it into town !!!!!!!!!

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

http://vietnamreenactors.myfastforum.org

http://vietnamuk.moonfruit.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 15:03 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: AFRA, portray- RA AA gunner, 9th AF pilot
That's pretty much answered then! many thanks!

Lance Bombardier Bryce R. Hollis 89 Bty, 35th LAA RA. Captured by Japanese on Java 8/3/42

1st Lt Delmore (Del) Meier, 314th TS, 31s TG, 9th USAAF. Flying C-47's from RAF Grove