WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:53 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:41 am 
 WWW  Profile

To determine what size Arctic overshoes (all-rubber) you need, you have first to be sure about what model overshoes you are dealing with, because the M1945 model was sized very different from the previous ones from the 1930's and early war. I'll dig out the official sizing table and post here. I have no idea about postwar models, however.

In any case, the overshoes (as the name implies...) were meant to be worn over the service shoes / combat service boots etc. Of course, a particular soldier may have done otherwise, but surely not in a combat unit.

cheers

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:40 am 
 WWW  Profile

I attach a file with sizing tables taken from TM 10-228 "Fitting of Shoes and Socks, February 1946

NOTE: US sizes are shown

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:57 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: Stars and Stripes LHG
Would American WW2 shoe and boot sizes be different to modern day American sizes? just wondering if there was a change over 70 years.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 16:46 pm 
 WWW  Profile

There may be some differences between today's measures and those used by the Military back then, basically because the US Army used many more widths and sizes than it is usually available commercially nowadays. Many more sizes equals the differences between sizes are smaller, both in length and width, than is the case today.

Also, keep in mind the various types of military footwear were sized based on an approved sock combination which, in many cases, could comprise several thick layers of cotton and wool, as well as a thick felt sole under the foot!

With the occasion, in the table I posted above I made a mistake in copying. I add now the corrected table. Sorry for the mistake.

cheers

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 18:35 pm 

Group: lha 1st division
GlenM wrote:
WPG ones you still need to buy 1 size up to fit properly.

:)

There was a comment in the WPG reviews about them being badly glued - all it was with mine was where the tongue? glues on to the side bits, rectified this with a contact adhesive and they have stayed together quite well, done 10 miles in the wet in them. One size up was fine for length, still tight on width but once they are on they are fine. Might try some lubrication.......

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:37 am 
1000+ Poster

I just bought some mint arctic overshoes from a forum member but noticed that the two buckle sets clip over to the left it seems I have two left boots, I am sure this is not correct or is it? I have been told that there are no left or right boots and that they are not marked left or right and that's how they were worn. I just want to check as in this game you learn something new, that if this is correct.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 19:45 pm 
 WWW  Profile

If I remember correctly they were stamped in red under the sole, a capital "L" meaning left... It's quite possible though that you may wear two lefts or rights and fit them over your shoes just the same.

cheers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:05 am 
1000+ Poster

I had a look at some boots on the web and most of the red marks indicate the boot width.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:38 am 

Group: 2nd Armored in Europe
There's not much in it, but they are definitely left and rights as a pair. They aren't both the same.

Look Out Below! : http://www.look-out-below.co.uk/

"The only thing stopping you, is you"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 17:17 pm 
 WWW  Profile

i've never seen any marked left or right I've just seen width measurements before
I don't think there's a lot in it to be honest sometimes these things were in piles so you just take what fits

Original Vietnam Ex-Governmont U.S surplus pre-1975
Unissued available in wholesale or private sale.

http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/large ... 198&cat=28

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:31 am 
1000+ Poster

When i bought these Artic overshoes offered to me on one of the posts by Dallas jack, i carefuly considered with the repartee of other forum members especialy Glen M that he would be no problem to deal with as with other members on the forum i have dealt with in the past and that the pair of boots he had for sale would be as mint to his word, which they were when i got them. Unfortunately i didnt ask for pictures, in my wisdom, i put trust in Dallas jack of his discription of the boots and even sent him payment as gift as requested to help out a fellow reenactor. When i got the boots as discribed, mint to his word and Canadian stamped inside and after a second look, i noticed that the buckle sets on both boots clipped over to the left and the bottom soles canted slightly as two left boots. So i contacted dallas jack diplomatically by PM and told him the problem, at first asking if he sent me two left handed boots by mistake with a mix up with another pair which i could swap over, which was not the case. I was told ‘they are sold as a pair and that there was no left or right boot, they are all the same never seen them marked left or right’. This is why i asked the question on the posts if they issued as a pair, left and right or were universal .
After browsing the web and asking US military collectors if Artic overshoes were worn or issued as two left pairs or two right pairs, the answer always came up as NO. They had an instep left and right as with the service shoe they fitted . You could argue that you could fit small boots in a large overshoe in either two left boots or two right and this is what could of happened in extream cases during the war.
99.9% of people buying any pair of boots or shoes would expect to get a left hand and a right hand pair of boots whether they are in mint condition or not, that fit or don’t fit. Most forum members would expect this and not be fobbed off with an excuses and would want their money back. I have even offered to drop the postage on my part, but to no avail It looks like Dallas jack is adamant that i wont be getting my money back . What do you think?
Forum members should be aware this guy doesn’t take any prisoners if you are not happy with a purchase from him and to let members know that in my act of so-called wisdom i should have asked for pictures (which was the only time in my years of buying that i didnt ask) and got caught out. As for paying as a gift with paypal dont, just send the extra it would have been a couple of quid on the £50 i sent him and would have been worth while as insurance for a PayPal dispute.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:37 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: STARS AND STRIPES LHG
30thcammo wrote:
When i bought these Artic overshoes offered to me on one of the posts by Dallas jack, i carefuly considered with the repartee of other forum members especialy Glen M that he would be no problem to deal with as with other members on the forum i have dealt with in the past and that the pair of boots he had for sale would be as mint to his word, which they were when i got them. Unfortunately i didnt ask for pictures, in my wisdom, i put trust in Dallas jack of his discription of the boots and even sent him payment as gift as requested to help out a fellow reenactor. When i got the boots as discribed, mint to his word and Canadian stamped inside and after a second look, i noticed that the buckle sets on both boots clipped over to the left and the bottom soles canted slightly as two left boots. So i contacted dallas jack diplomatically by PM and told him the problem, at first asking if he sent me two left handed boots by mistake with a mix up with another pair which i could swap over, which was not the case. I was told ‘they are sold as a pair and that there was no left or right boot, they are all the same never seen them marked left or right’. This is why i asked the question on the posts if they issued as a pair, left and right or were universal .
After browsing the web and asking US military collectors if Artic overshoes were worn or issued as two left pairs or two right pairs, the answer always came up as NO. They had an instep left and right as with the service shoe they fitted . You could argue that you could fit small boots in a large overshoe in either two left boots or two right and this is what could of happened in extream cases during the war.
99.9% of people buying any pair of boots or shoes would expect to get a left hand and a right hand pair of boots whether they are in mint condition or not, that fit or don’t fit. Most forum members would expect this and not be fobbed off with an excuses and would want their money back. I have even offered to drop the postage on my part, but to no avail It looks like Dallas jack is adamant that i wont be getting my money back . What do you think?
Forum members should be aware this guy doesn’t take any prisoners if you are not happy with a purchase from him and to let members know that in my act of so-called wisdom i should have asked for pictures (which was the only time in my years of buying that i didnt ask) and got caught out. As for paying as a gift with paypal dont, just send the extra it would have been a couple of quid on the £50 i sent him and would have been worth while as insurance for a PayPal dispute.

Chris I'm sorry to hear that you have been badly let down, sounds well out of order to me. Hope you get the correct boot to make a pair or, at the very least, a full refund.

Cheers mate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:10 pm 

Group: 2nd Armored in Europe
Locked while the buyer/seller work out their issue. Via PM please.

Look Out Below! : http://www.look-out-below.co.uk/

"The only thing stopping you, is you"

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2