WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:32 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Which Tanker Jacket??
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 19:13 pm 

Hello to all here. :) Hope I've posted this in right section btw.
Long time lurker but this is my first post. I'm not a reenactor but I thoroughly enjoy reading the threads here and do have a big passion for anything WW2 especially Allied uniforms from the period.

I was after some advice with buying a repro Tanker but would like to know what it is I am buying as there are a fair few products to consider and very little in online reviews that I could locate anyway. I've also learned that going by the product images that accompany the item is pointless.

Just before Xmas I purchased a jacket from QMI. The jacket looked ok, It wasn't very expensive and was delivered very quickly. The postage was a decent price too. However when I tried it on it was too small even though I had gone by their measurement guide (go up one size). I ended up sending it back and getting a refund as the next size up from that was out of stock.
Since then I have been looking at some others listed below and was hoping some of you chaps might chip in and give me your thoughts on the various jackets. The Buzz Rickson is out of my price range and I'm not prepared to buy from ATF or other U.S again as the sting from the customs duty was too much to bare. I bought an ATF M41 last year which again was ok I guess (If u like dark Goose crap green and a totally crumple free look - It was not similar to my orig) but with top dollar for shipping and custom duty on top of that...?

Sorry if it 's a bit long winded so I'll cut to the chase - These are some jackets I'm considering:

Jacket, Winter (Tanker), luxe
http://www.paratrooper.fr/en/pages/prod ... 0000000&t=

Jacket, Winter (Tanker)
http://www.paratrooper.fr/en/pages/prod ... 2588000&t=

http://doursoux.com/en/blousons-wwii/3- ... -wwii.html

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/tankers-ja ... oduct,4235

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-US-Army-Win ... 5d49965b8b (Barry Lyndon)

Many thanks in advance for any tips guys :wink:

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 20:15 pm 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
They are all about the same, very average.
The €80 para Fr looks to be the same Sturm jacket that SoF sell for £60.
There are only so many makers, it wont make much difference which one you buy, they are at best approximations of the Winter Jacket.
If you buy from WPG it comes from UAE and usually doesnt get clobbered for tax.

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 21:33 pm 

WHat Price Glory can be a bit heavy on the P&P but they're pretty canny with their customs notes. I've ordered several time without getting stung by the HMRC (actually I don't mind the customs charge it's Parcel Forces levy with menaces I object to!)

http://onlinemilitaria.com/shopexd.asp?id=2039&bc=no

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 21:50 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: 2nd Armored in Europe
Hi Ralph,

Just a couple of general pointers as well as my thoughts on which jacket to buy. Some of this may sound a little obnoxious, but its not meant that way, I just dont know what level of knowledge you have.

First point should always be to remember that originals in your collection are already 70+ years old. Unless they have been stored well and are in as new condition then a reproduction should not necessarily be judged, especially for colour against those originals.

Reproduction companies do have different runs or batches, even more so companies like Soldier of Fortune who are an outlet for manufactures and can stock several different production runs of reproductions, so its always a good idea to buy from them at a show to actually see what you are buying.

With regards to ATF, they have had several runs of the M41 jacket. I dont know which one yours is, but their latest run is regarded as one of the best out there, if not the best for the money. The colour and materials are regarded as excellent for a copy of a newly issued M41 jacket, not a 70 year old, most likely faded original. When worn and faded it too will look like a used original. Mines great and dont believe me ask these guys. http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Reviews/index.html they have some great reviews of reproduction uniforms, comparing them with originals in their collections. The same cant be said with ATFs winter combat jacket, for a start the zipper goes all the way to the top of the knitted neck.

As for the others youve listed,

Paratrooper.fr standard and SOFs jackets look to be the same as Sean has mentioned above, with the already sewn on Armored patch. I'd recommend physically going to see soldier of fortune's stand at an events as some of the winter combat jackets they were selling were of superior quality to the ones shown of their website. Its possible that they still have them.

Doursoux, looks like a faded out original jacket and the cuffs are too dark. Or theyve copied a repro that a French re-enactor has worn for the last 20 years and is extremely sun bleached!

Barry Lydons', the zip goes to the very top again and the shape looks a little too slim fitting compared to originals.

The best of the lot looks to be the luxe version from paratrooper.fr. From the useful photos which theyve supplied it looks to me like one of the ones which was also being sold by Man the Line. They no longer seem to be selling them and I only got mine on a whim off ebay as it was cheap and I was surprised by how good it was. As for where it was manufactured, I have no idea.

There is of course ww2 impressions, as reviewed by the 90th Div reenactors. From the review it would appear that this is the jacket to go for. If your looking for the most authentic and you cant get one of the better SoF jackets then consider this one. My only problem with WW2imps, are their sizings. From my previous purchases of M42 jump jackets, they run extremely small. I would recommend contacting ww2imps and asking for sizing information.

Hope this helps!

Regards, Jon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 14:30 pm 

Some great advice there guys most appreciated :)
Well plenty to think about here then including buying at a show etc. Funnily enough I had thought about that but wanted a winter coat as it was getting cold. bit late now. Anyhow as luck would have it until a week or so ago, every one of those jackets listed were out of stock in a 44
The WPG Tanker looks a good option too thanks for that info. The reviews on their site were good but many mentioned the lack of taper on the jacket. I'm a 44 chest with shoulders to match but I've got a skinny waist. could be an issue I guess.

Hi Jon many thanks for taking the time to go through all of that.
I fully understand what you mean re: original field jackets. And to be fair I sold mine a few years back when they were going for silly money so can't directly compare.
I know the 90th Div review page well. Bought a few things on the back of their reviews like the M41 and jeep caps etc. I just checked my email archive and I actually bought this ATF one in July 2012 so it's a bit older than I stated. Delivery plus custom charge and then UK post office handling. just shy of £158 all in as I remember. :(
Oddly the field jackets on 90th review or ATF site don't look like mine which was supposedly a Gen2.
http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Review ... G_4292.jpg
https://www.atthefront.com/us_images/un ... t_main.jpg
http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Review ... CT4443.JPG

Mine is OD alright but if you stuck an allied star on the back then it wouldn't be too far off and a good match for a Willy's Jeep. The garment is stiff and starchy and doesn't wrinkle at all apart from where the epaulet's meet the arms (my orig was like Columbo's old raincoat lol) Thing is it has spent most of it's time hanging on the washing line sun, rain, sleet and snow and so far it has not really faded one bit which is a testament to the dyes used. however the blanket lining did fade and is now a lighter shade than the shell. :? I've since purchased one of the later Sturm models and it's already gone chalky white out there :lol: (I've read that they're made to fade apparently)
Anyway I heard that ATF supplied the field jackets for the Momuments Men movie. So I checked that out... Again different looking garment to mine.

The guy with the Fedora hat near the top of this page, his looks a fair bit like the one I own except the buttons on mine are dark colour, the shell colour even darker and barely has a crease on it, therefore lacking character I think.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... asual-wear
I'm beginning to wonder whether mine may have come from a bit of a bum run from their overseas manufacturers tbh

BTW Jon I also thought that the Luxe version Tanker on Paratrooper.fr looked to be the pick of the crop. Still out of stock for my size though. Maybe the show's the way to go!
Thanks again! :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 22:10 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: 2nd Armored in Europe
When I find some time I'll snap some photos of my original m41s and my ATF one. Plus a comparison of the ATF winter combat jacket and the Man the Line 'Unknown' jacket, which may not be unknown for too much longer. Unfortunately I do not have an original winter jacket for comparison.

The ATF M41 on the Fedora site must be one of their pre-new generation jackets. I had one of these also and they were much greener. These shouldnt have been around in 2012 when you bought yours, unless you remember buying one on closeout?

I hate the sturm jackets, one of the reasons being how quickly they fade. Manufactures now are making their uniforms more fade resistant. Its come from constant customer feedback that people do not like their uniforms to fade. Read anything from ww2imps, who state over and over that no amount of sun or sweat will fade their jackets. So really these are much better than originals. I can testify how good the dye is in a ww2imp garment. I hung a jump jacket out for days in the sun and its not budged an inch. Compare this to my ATF jump jackets and their previous USA made jacket has faded a lot due to the sun and really is only suitable for an end of life jacket. My newest jacket has faded due to several washes in preparation for Overlord mock CC2 impregnation. The 41 doesnt exhibit much fading from the sun, so Im guessing ATF's dyes are now more hard wearing. I havent attempted to wash a ww2imps jacket in fear that it will shrink, Im a 38 chest but a 42 chest jump jacket only just fits!! Lets just assume the dye is very good!

Manufactures have a constant battle of producing uniforms in an 'authentic' shade. Whether that be the correct brand new unissued shade or caving to consumer pressure and producing a 'khakier' version, which seems to be the buyer buzz word.

I'll try and get some photos done soon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 13:38 pm 

It's turning into a bit of a field jacket thread sorry mods/admin.

RE: photos: Yes Jon thanks. Would be interested to see how my jacket compares to yours.
If my ATF jacket isn't this one (it isn't):
https://www.atthefrontshop.com/ProductD ... de=USUJM41
then I was sent the wrong ruddy garment as this was what I purchased and at that price...$124.99 :roll: Oh well you live and learn I guess. Nearly two years ago now so not much I can do unless I'm willing to go toe to toe with that Roland fellow who has a fearsome reputation by all accounts lol

At that time they still had a bunch of gen1 jackets at a much cheaper price but after reading the 90th Div review on both I really wanted the gen2 because of the improvements and was prepared to pay for it. It now looks as though I probably didn't even get a Gen1 jacket :roll: I never did like that jacket. (I'm being polite here guys)

Quote:
My newest jacket has faded due to several washes in preparation for Overlord mock CC2 impregnation. The 41 doesnt exhibit much fading from the sun, so Im guessing ATF's dyes are now more hard wearing. I havent attempted to wash a ww2imps jacket in fear that it will shrink

So you can wash the ATF jackets? Never tried because it says on their site hand wash in cold water only. If I could scrub a bit of life into this jacket that way it would be a bonus I guess

Just as a side note I ran an internet search for - original colour photographs of G.I's in WW2 hoping to see some pictures of US soldiers wearing M41's. I could only find these in colour all the rest were in black and white. Jon - Errr what colour are those jackets??? lol

http://timelifeblog.files.wordpress.com ... jpg?w=1146

http://timelifeblog.files.wordpress.com ... .jpg?w=518

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 19:54 pm 
1000+ Poster

Stuck one of ATF's current generation M41's through the machine on a cold wash and no problems.

Splashed out and got a WWII Imp Tanker at Christmas. Worth every penny, no other repro's I've seen are close. Save, maybe, a few older Real McCoy's ones. I'd say sizing is one size off. I normally wear a 40R. They were out of these so I opted for a 42R and it fits like a glove.
Thinking of getting a second one to keep for best, as I'm already trashing it. My only real complaints are thus:
Zipper stop modern style
Horrid "Made in USA" labels in pockets. Annoying, but easily removed with a razor blade
Spec label badly sewn in and falling out already. Yes, I know many originals did too, but it's a pain
No "First Patterns" available

Buzz Rickson's are waaaayyyy over priced though probably the next best bet in terms of accuracy. It's a shame ATF's current lot suck so much really.

"Now if there’s one thing you can be sure of, it’s that nothing is more powerful than a young boys wish.
Except an Apache helicopter, an Apache helicopter has machine guns and missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive compliment of weaponry. An absolute death machine."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:17 am 

Hi possum. Are you in UK? Just asking in regards to whether u got stung with customs charge etc on the WWII Imp jacket.
A really decent looking jacket though has to be said. Odd that their Tankers are fairly cheap compared to their M41's. The colour of those jackets look very light almost like faded jacket, or is it just the lighting when the photos were taken?
One other thing - the pockets look quite high up on both those jackets in the mannequin pics...Is that the case?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:04 am 
3000+ Poster

I have a large size, original, very good condition..for sale ..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:31 am 
1000+ Poster

sweeney46 wrote:
Hi possum. Are you in UK? Just asking in regards to whether u got stung with customs charge etc on the WWII Imp jacket.
A really decent looking jacket though has to be said. Odd that their Tankers are fairly cheap compared to their M41's. The colour of those jackets look very light almost like faded jacket, or is it just the lighting when the photos were taken?
One other thing - the pockets look quite high up on both those jackets in the mannequin pics...Is that the case?

Yeh, Bristol, for all my sins. Don't talk to me about customs...still bitter about it. Ordered quite a few other bits as well, and got stung for just over £135 customs. If you're JUST getting the jacket, I would GUESS that £40-£50 is about what you might have to pay (based on ordering lots of other stuff from 'Merica). I was fortunate in that I took advantage of their Christmas Day offer and got 20% off total order value, but it was still a much larger hit than I expected. Yes, this racks up the "to doorstep" cost, but it's still worth it in my opinion.
Colour is perfect, not too brown, not too faded tan. And no green like previous runs. I've hand washed in warm water to take the sheen off, and since then it's been soaked with rain, plastered with mud and covered it grease and oil and it looks incredible now. It's only going to get better.
Pocket location is same as originals - higher than M41 and correct.

http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Review ... index.html

Mine looks slightly more golden can than in the pictures here. Probably due to lighting.
If the zippers were slightly more correct, these would be passed of as originals sooner or later.
(http://qmi.be/catalog/product/gallery/i ... 72/id/530/ Note period correct zipper stop. It can be done!)

Poss

"Now if there’s one thing you can be sure of, it’s that nothing is more powerful than a young boys wish.
Except an Apache helicopter, an Apache helicopter has machine guns and missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive compliment of weaponry. An absolute death machine."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:15 pm 

Gawd! shocking state of play that re: customs :twisted: bloody robbery really and possibly takes it out of my budget. Cheers for the low down though. Looks a to be a good one!

Hi OD Hope you don't mind I've PM'd you re: your original jacket. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:26 pm 
1000+ Poster

They are the best on the market at the moment, no question. If you get lucky and find an older "Real McCoy's" one, or one of the earlier SEMS made jackets, they're pretty good too. Problem is, people like to hang onto the good stuff!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:33 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FHF / 150th Engineer Combat Battalion, XIIth Corps
I treated myself to a Buzz Rickson about 6 or 7 years ago - they are awesome - but verrrrry expensive.

www.reenactor.se (Essex Regt.)
http://combatengineers.forumup.org (150th Engineer Combat Battalion)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:42 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FSSF-UK
Revitalising this old thread here as I'm making enquiries after a small child size one for someone ...

I'm on my 2nd repro, this time got one last year from one of the stalls at the YWE, the label says "paratrooper inc" ...

One problem was the cuffs, collar and waistband, both being sort of "floppy", and the person I get to sort out/alter all my uniforms and clothes told me that it was sewn on wrong, for example, the waistband has to be stretched, then sewn on, and released, the Pratrooper example was built this way, dunno if it's jsut laziness, or bad workmanship....In any case, had to go on Ebay and get replacement cuffs, collar and waistband, the cuffs being the "proper" no seam style and it's now sorted...

As for comparison, the inside lining is way different from my own original, but the general cut of the item is satisfactory :wink: 8)

Anyway, does anyone know where I could get a hold a child size Tankers? I know someone does them, as I got one for my daughter couple of years ago...

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."