WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 16:00 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 13:06 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A.F.R.A, Road to Mandalay.
At the risk of having my head jumped up and down on repeatedly, im putting together a set of 1919 pattern webbing, and wondering how used they were say during dunkirk? Would like to put together a full set of pistol webbing with haversack, rucksack etc, but would like to know if it was all used at any paticular point in WW2?

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 14:08 pm 
2000+ Poster

Location: The wild border lands between Lancashire and Yorkshire
Group: HMS
Place your head upon the ground and wait ...

I've never seen a complete set of 1919 webbing in use in WW2. However bits of it definitely were.

I have a set of 1919 webbing except for one piece, the cutlass frog, but I don't have a cutlass either. The sets are around but be prepared to either pay top dollar or get lucky.

I sometimes put the 1919 webbing set on and it's a real shame it didn't catch on. It's much better than the 37 pattern. I particularly the large pack/bergen - very useful.

Good luck

()) ---- ())

Historical Maritime Society
WW2 Royal Navy & 30AU

“Now landsmen all, whoever you may be, If you want to rise to the top of the tree, If your soul isn't fettered to an office stool, Be careful to be guided by this golden rule-- Stick close to your desks and never go to sea, And you all may be Rulers of the Queen's Navee.”

If God had meant us to be in the Army, we would have been born with green, baggy skin.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 14:19 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A.F.R.A, Road to Mandalay.
Im after a pack at the moment on a well known site, hopefully i shall aquir it, then all i need is the haversack and mess tin covers!

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 20:56 pm 

Group: TACWW2LHA
hey, i'm in a reenacting unit and i representing a sailor in the rcn. i currently have a set of 37 white leggings. are they acurate for what was worn in the period? and if so, what would they be worn with them on parade, 1908 belt or 1937 belt. and what colour. HELP!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 22:58 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Group: MECo
I'd suggest looking at the first post in this thread. It details it all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:18 am 

Group: TACWW2LHA
since i represent rcn commando w i am wondering about the uniform they would have worn under it. i've seen pictures of them landing in their blues with the high topped gaiters and 37 web gear. but i'm have also seen them on the beach in blue sweaters with web gear and in gunshirts with web gear but no gaiters. does anyone have any idea what is going on with this?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:01 am 

OSIrvine wrote:
since i represent rcn commando w i am wondering about the uniform they would have worn under it. i've seen pictures of them landing in their blues with the high topped gaiters and 37 web gear. but i'm have also seen them on the beach in blue sweaters with web gear and in gunshirts with web gear but no gaiters. does anyone have any idea what is going on with this?

It would most probably be Army BD. I don't know what pictures you're referring too? But, the blues and high gaiters sounds like photos taken during training. On a beach in combat, anything goes really. Blue jerseys, white fronts, Army shirts with/without webbing/gaiters. Also helmets or caps.

Have a look at the beginning of this thread to see the variations of webbing available and use google to search for RN commando images. RCN and RN commandos weren't that different in what they wore.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 18:44 pm 
2000+ Poster

Location: The wild border lands between Lancashire and Yorkshire
Group: HMS
Guess you've all been here ...
http://www.karkeeweb.com/1919main.html#1919

()) ---- ())

Historical Maritime Society
WW2 Royal Navy & 30AU

“Now landsmen all, whoever you may be, If you want to rise to the top of the tree, If your soul isn't fettered to an office stool, Be careful to be guided by this golden rule-- Stick close to your desks and never go to sea, And you all may be Rulers of the Queen's Navee.”

If God had meant us to be in the Army, we would have been born with green, baggy skin.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:44 am 

I just finished my set a week ago by making up a set of haversack straps from an original mapcase strap and a couple of 3/4" brass rectangles from Military History Workshop. The 1901 pattern mess tin carrier is also from Military History Workshop, but all other pieces of the set are original.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.